• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

G.I.Joe

I think it's supposed to be just the top four sides playing semifinals and a final. So just the three tests then.

Adders

I think it's supposed to be just the top four sides playing semifinals and a final. So just the three tests then.
Well that's ****ed up for a start. The way the current rankings are there really isn't that much between the top 8 sides, we've just seen that with recent Eng/NZ series.

It wasn't that long ago Australia were ranked 5th and could be again (I think) if they lose heavily over the next 2 Ashes series. As much as I like to LOL at their current woes a test championship without them in it is not worth having.

I could be wrong here but when this "Test Championship" idea was first bandied around I thought it was supposed to be over a 4 year cycle, not a tournament as such. Fix up the Future Tours Program so it's more uniform and crown a test champion every 4 years based on points earned over the 4 year period?? Like an extended English Premier League.

I have no interest in this as a tournament unless all test nations are involved in it, which clearly would be impossible unless it was to run for a ridiculous amount of time. Why can't the administrators accept that Test cricket is a unique sport with it's duration and embrace that fact, it is not suited to a glitz and glamour World Cup style tournament. They have other formats they can do that with.

Last edited:

greg

If a test championship even gets off the ground, i can't see it lasting past the first (or possibly the second if TV contracts demand it) event. Knockout cricket is not a good format for test cricket, England will have to be guaranteed a place (the first event is scheduled for June/July 2017 in England) to ensure commercial success and allow proper logistical planning. Otherwise you create the prospect of England having a 'competing' test series at the same time. And at the end of it i doubt anyone will see it as determining anything - 'conditions' create a far less level playing field than in ODIs and home advantage will be massive.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This'll get binned after the first competition.

It's a crap format, it won't get supported, hence why it's in England and it's too reliant on India being a top 4 side to sell to broadcasters.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Indian public barely bothers to go and watch India, I can't see South Africa vs West Indies being a huge draw crowd wise.