• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Least/most valuable gold medal disciplines

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Heat swimmers who don't compete in the final are the least deserving gold medalists.

Rythmic Gymnastics and Trampolining up there too. I agree with the people who said Squash should be in the Olympics, I have no idea why it isn't..

Spikey

i saw some gymnastics thing last night and all through i was thinking how the **** are you doing that so i dunno know i reckon it's fine

social

Heat swimmers who don't compete in the final are the least deserving gold medalists.

Rythmic Gymnastics and Trampolining up there too. I agree with the people who said Squash should be in the Olympics, I have no idea why it isn't..
Just watched some of the rythmic gymnastics in the gym and if that is in the Olympics then so should ballroom dancing

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
LOL at ballroom dancing. I heard they changed their name to 'dance sport' to try and get more cred.

Spikey, just thinking how the **** they did it shouldn't be enough to be an olympic sport. The performances are like a circus act.

social

LOL at ballroom dancing. I heard they changed their name to 'dance sport' to try and get more cred.

Spikey, just thinking how the **** they did it shouldn't be enough to be an olympic sport. The performances are like a circus act.
Exactly

The bird I watched had 2 batons and whilst it was quite impressive watching her chuck them into the air, do a spin on her back and then catch them, it was basically cirque du soleil

No idea what relevance someone performing the crucifix on the rings followed by a triple somersault dismount has to this

Bahnz

Dressage/Equestrian.

Medal should be given to the horse.
At the very least, the horse should have to come from the same country as the rider. Really pissed me off seeing the saudis strutting around on horses that've probably never spent a minute of their lives in the kingdom.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most valuable is the men's 100m, I'd say. Fastest human alive & all that.

More contenders for least worthwhile, but dressage, synchronised swimming, gymnastics, diving and walking would all be there or thereabouts.

PhoenixFire

Most valuable is the men's 100m, I'd say. Fastest human alive & all that.

More contenders for least worthwhile, but dressage, synchronised swimming, gymnastics, diving and walking would all be there or thereabouts.
Fastest human is winner of 200m surely, if you're gonna be a pedant. Which I am.

Daemon

At the very least, the horse should have to come from the same country as the rider. Really pissed me off seeing the saudis strutting around on horses that've probably never spent a minute of their lives in the kingdom.
Nah, that doesn't make sense to me. A talented rider shouldn't be disadvantaged by the availability/quality of horses that his country fails to nurture.

Such an elitist sport though, seriously.

fredfertang

Definitely the 10k walk or whatever the **** that was, so pointless.
This, so much this, bunch of grown men and women rushing around like they've crapped themselves - what a joke - years ago I remember we had a bloke called Paul Nihill - might have actually got a medal at one games - he made John Cleese's Ministry of Silly Walks sketch look like a serious documentary - ****wits the lot of them :@

cpr

Dunno re Equestrian, Takes very different skills to most other athletes. A runner or cyclist kicks his legs, he knows he moves, a horse-rider kicks his, he hopes his mount doesnt think '**** this, I'm off to each some grass and mount a filly'. He/she has to control an animal with its own sense of destiny, cajole it into giving up its free will, and do it as quickly as possible. Takes some doing.

Sailing can do one IMO. Bunch of posh kids playing ships. Would only be acceptable if bonus points were given for the number of fish you caught, otherwise theres no point to being on a boat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I fail to see how ballroom dancing is less credible than anything else mentioned in this thread. I'm not too keen on anything that requires a judge's score actually being in the Olympics if I'm going to be honest but I'd take ballroom dancing a fair bit more seriously than synchronised swimming or gymnastics.