• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

long term Australian XI

Julian87

Lyon's got his spot, I'm ok with him in the side. Just mean he, like the pace bowlers has to keep up his practice to stay ahead of the competition. I also hate when he bowls darts on leg stump line. He still leaks runs doing this, so hopefully he keeps on tossing it up, as he has been this series.
Agar was hitting the right spots too though. Had a few golden chances go down in his tests, he can bat and field better than Lyon as well.
I really shouldn't be getting into this conversation because I think it is an absolute joke. But I'd really like to nitpick here and suggest that Agar being an upgrade in the field is talking out of your ass. I can recall one or two drops from Lyon but overall he's absolutely superb in the field, especially for a spin bowler. Several great snares as a close in fielder, including a few at leg gully and some of his outfield work has duly made its way into timeless highlight reels.

Howe_zat

If you are a bowler who bats at #11 people will just assume you're ****e in the field too.

It's strangely opposite to the equal wicket keeper fallacy

The Battlers Prince

I don't think he's rubbish, but from what I've seen Agar is a better fielder. Lyon has taken some great catches but so has Agar. Both have similar FC records bowling. Neither has consistently lit up the field in that sense. Again though, Agar's impressed me more with flight and hitting the right areas. Lyon's bowling this Ashes has done the job and as an Aussie I hope he takes a lot more Pommy wickets

Dan

Global Moderator
Lyon's FC record is terrible when you remove his Tests. But judging a Test bowler on his FC record instead of his Test one is, well, bizarre.

Agree that Agar is probably a slightly better fieldsman, but Lyon's certainly well above average in the field too.

The Battlers Prince

Agar's one possible option. He earned 3 extra wickets that weren't given to him last time in England, the most obvious being Stuart Broad. He's not beating down the door to an extent to usurp Lyon if Lyon keeps up his bowling as he has. However, if someone does light up the FC scene I would toss Lyon to the curb without a second thought at this stage.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lyon's FC record is terrible when you remove his Tests. But judging a Test bowler on his FC record instead of his Test one is, well, bizarre.

Agree that Agar is probably a slightly better fieldsman, but Lyon's certainly well above average in the field too.
Judging Australian offies on their domestics is pretty stupid.

Tangles

Agar's one possible option. He earned 3 extra wickets that weren't given to him last time in England, the most obvious being Stuart Broad. He's not beating down the door to an extent to usurp Lyon if Lyon keeps up his bowling as he has. However, if someone does light up the FC scene I would toss Lyon to the curb without a second thought at this stage.
Like a Leggie getting a lot of wickets in the Shield final and padding his tally for the season?

The Battlers Prince

Haha no I wouldn't have taken Ahmed based on that one match. Although cleaning up the tail + a few top order scalps was good to see. I have the feeling he'll bowl in Bangladesh

adub

24 @ 22
41 @ 20
28 @ 23

not bad numbers for a finger spinner in his last three seasons

not too bad on the A tour of India either with 14 @ 20.

The Battlers Prince

I stand corrected and am disappointed in myself for not knowing that. His 7 for in India wasn't as impressive as his bowling this series has been

The Battlers Prince

2014/15 Shield Lyon 23wkt @ 29 (11 matches)
Agar 31 @ 30.5 (9 matches)
Ahmed 48 @ 24.8 (11 matches)

It probably wouldn't Tangles, but it doesn't really change my point. I guess I just miss Warnie, not the **** in the commentary box, just the bowler

Last edited:

adub

I stand corrected and am disappointed in myself for not knowing that. His 7 for in India wasn't as impressive as his bowling this series has been
those are actually SOK's numbers

Not saying Lyon should be dropped, but I don't think Ahmed or Agar should go to Bangladesh

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
People really don't realise what a good bowler Lyon is and how much better our attack has been since he's been our spinner. He's unobtrusive and not as marketable as others, but geez he's been steady, mostly tight, and at times he's been really really good. I'd hate to see him replaced by someone like Agar "just cos".

Julian87

2014/15 Shield Lyon 23wkt @ 29 (11 matches)
Agar 31 @ 30.5 (9 matches)
Ahmed 48 @ 24.8 (11 matches)

It probably wouldn't Tangles, but it doesn't really change my point. I guess I just miss Warnie, not the **** in the commentary box, just the bowler
Do those statistics not prove that those 2 are not obviously better than Lyon. If you take that one season out for Ahmed he's nowhere near as impressive either.

The best stats based spinner hasn't even entered the conversation yet ffs.

Last edited: