• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term impact of 20/20

Xuhaib

I must say I am enjoying the tournament but there are few things to worry about I feel from a pure cricketing pov.

Gayle's knock against Aus was a treat to watch but T20 can actually destroy the charm of fast bowling. Imagine these lil kids watching the gamea fast bowler(Lee) runs from the 30 yard line and gets hit for a six 2 times in an over who would want to be a fast bowler and I must admit that for me hostile pacy fast bowling is one of the best sights in cricket.

So what other pros and cons can you see from 20/20 impacting the game in the long run and what steps should be taken to minimize the damaging aspects of 20/20.

Scaly piscine

I must say I am enjoying the tournament but there are few things to worry about I feel from a pure cricketing pov.

Gayle's knock against Aus was a treat to watch but T20 can actually destroy the charm of fast bowling. Imagine these lil kids watching the gamea fast bowler(Lee) runs from the 30 yard line and gets hit for a six 2 times in an over who would want to be a fast bowler and I must admit that for me hostile pacy fast bowling is one of the best sights in cricket.

So what other pros and cons can you see from 20/20 impacting the game in the long run and what steps should be taken to minimize the damaging aspects of 20/20.
Well Lee is a mediocre fast bowler at best, you wouldn't want kids emulating him anyway.

What they will try imitate is Malinga's slower curveball-esque full toss. Dilshan's ramp shot (expect it'll give dentists some extra business). Stump cartwheeling yorkers. All the reverse shots. Things like spectacular fielding, like the Mathew(s) fetch from over the ropes, diving one handed catches and run outs.

T20 creates so many moments and showcases a huge range of deliveries and shots that kids will bound to remember some of them and try doing them themselves. That will be good for cricket.

Shri

IIRC, 60 overs cricket became 50 overs cricket. It was not killed/ or replaced by it.
Okay. Then T20 cricket will become ODI cricket. Technically, T20 games are over in one day. So, we could call it that.:p

cover drive man

The biggest problem I see with T20 is, it takes away the art of building an innings. Batsmen go on and if they dont start scoring quickly it can often damage there teams chances.

andruid

Okay. Then T20 cricket will become ODI cricket. Technically, T20 games are over in one day. So, we could call it that.:p
Your missing my point. The reason 50 ov ers took precedence over 60 overs was they literally cahnged the inings length and 60 over cricket became 50 over cricket. T20 cr5icket is a whole 'nother format existing alongside 50 over cricket.

James_W

Some of these switch-hit/reverse/Dilshan shots can be awesome to watch but it isn't something I want to see creep into the longer form of the game. Another thing is that bowlers coming through might be more attracted to T20 as there's more money so they may try to perfect bowling defensively, and find themselves unable to take wickets in the longer form as they don't know how to attack. Bad times.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

What i'd like to see cricket do, and this applies to all forms, is to take a cue from baseball and have a no-score area behind the wicket.

andruid

Some of these switch-hit/reverse/Dilshan shots can be awesome to watch but it isn't something I want to see creep into the longer form of the game. Another thing is that bowlers coming through might be more attracted to T20 as there's more money so they may try to perfect bowling defensively, and find themselves unable to take wickets in the longer form as they don't know how to attack. Bad times.
DWTA.

The new shots would present new challenges for captaincy and bowling in the longer form. Nonetheless I doubt they will be played as prodiguosly in test cricket, what5 with staying in and playing a huge innings having priority over scoring rates. Bowlers would also likey have to actually work on perfecting those high risk/high return deliveries (like yorkers) and generally give away less four balls as a matter if survival.

i think this format will ask da bowlers 2 b more accurate. wich is a positive thing. i mean taking wickets in t20 is so easy. just two yorkers right in the block hole followed by a pacy bouncer nd it should make it. i mean just use the batsmen's urge of getting runs to take their wicket

didnt u see umar gul. although we havent seen gul/gayle battle but kallis/gul hav much to tell

The biggest problem I see with T20 is, it takes away the art of building an innings. Batsmen go on and if they dont start scoring quickly it can often damage there teams chances.
i think dat afridi has startd to learn da art of building innings. and he startd this noble deed in t20 format. he has never played such silently killing innings in ODIs or tests, as he played in semi and in final t20 WC 2009.

do u agree?

Faisal1985

Lee is not on top of his game right now and was not able to get it right.

Fast bowling is not about pace only but technique as we all know (Unless its Shoaib Akhtar). Lee was not doing much with the bowl and was trying to bowl fast and thats why Gayle was able to hit him hard.

If you look at Mohammad Amir, who also has good pace. He was pretty economical in the first 6 overs against some of the very best openning pairs. And your highest Wicket taker of the tournament is also a fast bowler who is able to reverse the ball after 12 overs.

So i don't think T20 is killing the Fast Bowlers its actually developing them to think more and have more variety and that too with good accuracy.