• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lord Presents..What Made Your Day + What Ruined Your Day IV

Adders

Yeah I read a bit of that article you posted zorax........really concerning **** mate. Will you and your family stick it out there or move on?

Daemon

Assuming zorax doesn’t go out to riot and post anti-Beijing stuff on social media his life will remain as it were.

India is far worse so little point heading back there. If people are to leave it’s probably going to be more to do with their principles and the general uneasiness of living under the CCP rather than any forced change in lifestyle, at least in the short term.

zorax

likes this
we actually do not know how far reaching this law will be, or how it will be enforced. We already have laws in HK against rioting that have been used against violent protesters - just recently they've begun sentencing violent protesters to jail terms, which are often longer than the terms people have had to serve for stabbing/violently attacking peaceful protestors. That's already ****ed up - spend more time in jail for damaging a building that you do for stabbing another person? And ofcourse the police don't get held accountable for any of their excess violence.

Given this is already happening, one assumes that the introduction of the National Security Law is to target people and groups that have spoken/continue to speak openly for democracy/HK independence/anti-CCP sentiments, but who they can't charge with rioting. One assumes they will start with the most prominent public figures (guys like Joshua Wong) and then work their way down. How far down they'll go, and how many people they'll go after, we have no clue.

Given this is Hong Kong, basically everyone has at some point or another expressed a public opinion in favour of universal suffrage/autonomy/independence. At the very least half of the population capable of expressing such beliefs have already done so via social media/text messaging/posting on public forums. And ofcourse all of us have said '**** the CCP' or '**** China' at some point or another. If they don't come after all of us now, will they wait till we reach a high status in society (business leader/high ranking role in a big corporate or government organisation) and then come after us?

My boss reckons that if I ever reach a prominent role in society, government officials are going to whisk me away and get me to delete social media posts and sign something to the effect of promising that I've changed my views and agreeing to self censorship. **** that ****.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
Oh and apparently this National Security Law could extend towards censorship w/regards to our Education and Press outlets. So yea, that's going to be fun.

Burgey

we actually do not know how far reaching this law will be, or how it will be enforced. We already have laws in HK against rioting that have been used against violent protesters - just recently they've begun sentencing violent protesters to jail terms, which are often longer than the terms people have had to serve for stabbing/violently attacking peaceful protestors. That's already ****ed up - spend more time in jail for damaging a building that you do for stabbing another person? And ofcourse the police don't get held accountable for any of their excess violence.

Given this is already happening, one assumes that the introduction of the National Security Law is to target people and groups that have spoken/continue to speak openly for democracy/HK independence/anti-CCP sentiments, but who they can't charge with rioting. One assumes they will start with the most prominent public figures (guys like Joshua Wong) and then work their way down. How far down they'll go, and how many people they'll go after, we have no clue.

Given this is Hong Kong, basically everyone has at some point or another expressed a public opinion in favour of universal suffrage/autonomy/independence. At the very least half of the population capable of expressing such beliefs have already done so via social media/text messaging/posting on public forums. And ofcourse all of us have said '**** the CCP' or '**** China' at some point or another. If they don't come after all of us now, will they wait till we reach a high status in society (business leader/high ranking role in a big corporate or government organisation) and then come after us?

My boss reckons that if I ever reach a prominent role in society, government officials are going to whisk me away and get me to delete social media posts and sign something to the effect of promising that I've changed my views and agreeing to self censorship. **** that ****.
ok

Line and Length

Thanks for your perceptions as an insider zorax. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the CCP have pushed through this legislation at a time when the world is focused on COVID-19. Take care my friend.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Assuming zorax doesn’t go out to riot and post anti-Beijing stuff on social media his life will remain as it were.

India is far worse so little point heading back there. If people are to leave it’s probably going to be more to do with their principles and the general uneasiness of living under the CCP rather than any forced change in lifestyle, at least in the short term.
Haha I see where you're coming from but it's weird how you think the ability to criticise the govt is so trivial. I'd sacrifice a lot of economic convenience rather than live in a place where there's a ton of press censorship and I can't publicly and freely criticise the government without weighing my words carefully.

Daemon

Haha I broadly agree with you but it's weird how you think the ability to criticise govt is so trivial. I'd sacrifice a lot of economic convenience rather than live in a place where there's a ton of press censorship and I can't publicly and freely criticise the government without weighing my words carefully.
I'm probably biased due to there not being much to criticise the government here about despite the prevailing degree of censorship. In fact censorship is one of few things I could criticise them about. And doing so is perfectly acceptable and will not see you fined or locked up.

Obviously the CCP is a beast that's infinitely worse, so maybe I'd think along your lines as well if I grew up in a different environment.

stephen

Ruined: found out my 5 year old's bike was stolen from our yard last night. Thieves had a go at stealing my bike but failed since it was chained.

RossTaylorsBox

I'm probably biased due to there not being much to criticise the government here about despite the prevailing degree of censorship. In fact censorship is one of few things I could criticise them about. And doing so is perfectly acceptable and will not see you fined or locked up.

Obviously the CCP is a beast that's infinitely worse, so maybe I'd think along your lines as well if I grew up in a different environment.
Lots of people like to say they'd choose freedom over materialism, but it's way harder to make that call unless you've been in proper poverty.

Line and Length

Made:
The irrigation pump I thought was "gone" was just a blown switch and cheap to replace.

Ruined:
Had to cancel our weekly golf game to to the rain.

Starfighter

So NSW Roads has decided to dramatically reduce the speed limit on a popular motorcycling road nearby, on the basis not much. This strategy has been going on for a decade with no improvement in the safety record funnily enough. But still thanks for taking away another slice of about the only thing I'm enjoying in life while not making me safer.