• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Quits As England's ODI Captain

krkode

I also think Knight is the best man for the job. He seems like the captaincy kind. The kind that could lead by example without losing drastic form...he seems like a Cronje/Waugh kinda guy.

Has he ever captained the warwicks?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not regularly, and I don't think he's long term enough for the job now (assuming they're now planning for WI07)

Bazza

I thought the next world cup was in 2008?

Anyway:

Knight - A certain in the team and has experience, but not in captaincy so much, plus he's getting on a bit, and certainly won't be around for another World Cup.

Trescothick - Hasn't impressed in previous spells as captain and needs to work on his batting technique and form right now. A certain to be picked though and still young.

Vaughan - A future test captain for me, but not ODIs. Still not assured of his place in the team and needs to work on getting runs and big scores more often. Young though and would be a popular choice.

Collingwood - I reckon he's an outside chance for this. Not many people would pick him but seems to have assured his place in the side which is an important requirement and he's young.

Flintoff - Some people are surprised at his being mentioned but I have often heard the likes of David Lloyd, who knows him better than most, say he has an excellent cricket brain. Obviously he is a banker in the side but would the captaincy be too much when we are demanding more from his batting and bowling as it is?

Butcher - wtf? He is a very ordinary OD batsman and has never even been close to getting in the ODI side. We have 3 openers as it is and for me he's not even a cert for the test side right now. Can't understand why he's even being mentioned. OK he might have a good brain but he's getting on anyway and he's being put forward by the same people lambasting Hussain for being a poor OD batsman. Go figure!

Hollioake - Has done the job before and never deserved to lose it, but for some reason did. Would love to see him back in there and would be my choice, but for some reason he wasn't even picked in the XV to go to SA.

Thorpe - I like this idea as a short term filler for say a year until Vaughan or Trescothick or Collingwood have slightly better credentials, but can;t see it happening, especially after reading what Atherton said about him. He has to get back in the sdie first anyway!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:

Thorpe - I like this idea as a short term filler for say a year until Vaughan or Trescothick or Collingwood have slightly better credentials, but can;t see it happening, especially after reading what Atherton said about him. He has to get back in the sdie first anyway!
Couldn't agree more - it would be most unfair if he were to be automatically restored to the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's sort of how Hooper had to regain his place in WI team. After an amazing season of run scoring and captaining his side well, he was a sure pick and has been alot more consistent than he has ever been.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So do I, and the stupid thing is, I don't think anyone really expected qualification for the SS deep down.

Anil

Neil Pickup said:
We'll have a better set of 11 ODI players, but a worse team.
When? In 2007? Why? Because Hussain is not there to lead? Isn't it a tad premature as a conclusion?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
anilramavarma said:
When? In 2007? Why? Because Hussain is not there to lead? Isn't it a tad premature as a conclusion?
In the immediate aftermath of this WC, i.e. for the NatWest Series this Summer.