• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st ODI at the MCG

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, look, I've never been a big advocate of Rankin but he was good in white ball cricket for us in the summer. Surpassed my expectations anyway, and I'd suspect it's the main reason he got an Ashes gig.

SteveNZ

If Finn is in such a bad state then why is he in the squad. We've seen that just spending time with Saker and co at the nets isn't helping, so get him away to play some cricket.
Absolutely agreed - I'm just saying there must be a reason he can't get a game, and by all reports he was awful in the Ashes warm-up matches.

Top_Cat

He only got bashed in one game, took 8 in the other tour game he played. Wonder what's gone so very wrong for him to become he who shall not be named (by anyone)?

social

One of the journo's wrote in his piece the other day that Finn bowled the worst he has over the whole tour in the nets leading up to this ODI. Got smashed apparently.

I doubt there is any other reason but bowling badly. Finn always come across as a really good bloke and genuine.

If Finn doesn't come out of this some time bowling better then Saker will have done the worst job of the lot. Rankin looked a shadow of the figure he was last summer in the test and odi.
They showed a clip on the news the other night of England having a net before the odi and Finn's 2 deliveries were wide, medium pace, half trackers so I don't doubt that he is bowling badly

However, given the fact that nets don't seem to be working and guys like Rankin hardly make a compelling case for inclusion in front of him, I really don't see what harm could be done by actually giving him a game and seeing whether a wicket or 2 does something for his confidence.

Whatever the case, I'd hate to see him end up as another Kevin Emery (Kevin Emery | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo, Steve Harmison echoes Emery's failure ? Telegraph Blogs)

I played with and against him and he totally lost it due to nothing more that mental breakdown - literally became scared to play as that meant he would have to bowl

Philhughesisbes

do you seriously rate Mckay over Harris?
No,Harris is the better bowler, however Harris fragile body means he"ll only play test.Mc kay is a very different bowler to Harris, a Mc kay type bowler is always handy in a team.If Harris wasnt so injury prone then I get the feeling we"d see both in the odi team most times than not.Mc Kay has earnt his place in the team.

Stace

Why is James Taylor not in the squad? I would like him in the higher middle order, he's a busy player for the 15-35 over period, he would rotate the strike and can still find the boundary (I don't agree with the "he's too small" theory). He deserves the opportunity just as much as some of the others.