• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

TheJediBrah

I think Johnson bowled well in the second innings but he probably won't have a great series if all the pitches are like that. He's basically just an incredibly good bowler when there's pace and bounce and only an okay one when there's not, even when he's in form. Nothing wrong with that really, no different from say Anderson being very dangerous when the ball swings and pretty innocuous when it doesn't. The key is being able to make a contribution in unfavourable conditions.

If he can bowl like he did in the second innings throughout the series he'll be worth his place in the team though. Was much more disciplined, actually helped build pressure etc.
I'm wondering why he didn't bowl more of those off-cutters he bowed last summer. It would have been the perfect pitch for it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Love that Greg Baum made a point of mocking Cricket Australia releasing the Big Bash schedule hours after the Ashes loss. Unbelievable.

91Jmay

Well I'm not pissed off about it, but I'm constantly going on about commentators insisting it's a defensive position and it's negative to use it, in the end if people are constantly flicking it in the air outside off-stump , as they do in the modern game, it's not just a defensive position it's a wicket-taking one too.
I don't see how it's more defensive than mid-wicket to be honest. One catch per game, maybe, is taken at mid wicket off a quick.

Midwinter

I think Johnson bowled well in the second innings but he probably won't have a great series if all the pitches are like that. He's basically just an incredibly good bowler when there's pace and bounce and only an okay one when there's not, even when he's in form. Nothing wrong with that really, no different from say Anderson being very dangerous when the ball swings and pretty innocuous when it doesn't. The key is being able to make a contribution in unfavourable conditions.

If he can bowl like he did in the second innings throughout the series he'll be worth his place in the team though. Was much more disciplined, actually helped build pressure etc.
But Johnson"s role in the the team is not to build pressure.

He is there to bowl without concern for runs and blast the opposition out.

Its the role for the other bowlers to keep the pressure on.

Spikey

Because mid-wicket allows you to bowl in a more attacking fashion and attack the stumps.
one that thing that ****s me is when people put in a short leg but leave square leg open, so any nudge past short leg gets them off strike. is this an acceptable thing to get ****ty about? #asktheCWcommentators

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
one that thing that ****s me is when people put in a short leg but leave square leg open, so any nudge past short leg gets them off strike. is this an acceptable thing to get ****ty about? #asktheCWcommentators
Using too many resources to block up that area, and gets people thinking of bowling too much to get a short leg dismissal.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
3rd man let's your bowlers bowl the 4th stump line which is key against certain bats.
You asked why it's more attacking; you would bowl the same line whether or not you had a third man or not.

There's very little cause and effect with a third man; you put it there because the ball is going there when you are bowling in the area that you want to.

PS: "Fourth stump line" is a fallacy.

FaaipDeOiad

But Johnson"s role in the the team is not to build pressure.

He is there to bowl without concern for runs and blast the opposition out.

Its the role for the other bowlers to keep the pressure on.
I think his role in the team is to bowl as well as possible given the conditions and state of the game. First test of the home summer at the Gabba sure, but clearly Cardiff needed disciplined bowling and he bowled much better in the second innings than the first in that regard, and got reward for it as well. Slamming in bouncers on a wicket where the ball is dying on its way to the keeper in the first hour of the match is not smart bowling, and Johnson is capable of other things.

Tangles

MJs role changed when Harris retired. He and Starc can't be blasting at the same time. They don't have the control for that. So one of them needs to pull it back a bit. Especially on the pitches that keep getting served up outside Aus and SA. In helpful conditions I'd be more prepared to let them both have at it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bowling strategies were baffling in general tbh. All they needed to do was continue the general themes from WI, instead they bowled like it was the Gabba.

flibbertyjibber

Bowling strategies were baffling in general tbh. All they needed to do was continue the general themes from WI, instead they bowled like it was the Gabba.
Think they wanted to open old scars and didn't adapt quickly enough. Guess they thought if they could rough us up early then they may win the series on the opening day as we may not be mentally strong enough to come back.