• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** COVID-19 Discussion

RossTaylorsBox

What about that steroid they said helps with the serious cases? I believe for mild cases one of the other existing drugs was supposed to be pretty good.
They just finished up some Japanese study which showed an Avigan-Futhan combo seemed to work for people on ventilators. It's only 11 people though so massive tablespoon of salt, etc.

Bahnz

Who would have thunk it.
You mean who would've thought that a observational study with obvious flaws and confounding factors might find enough noise in the data to conclude that there's some beneficial effect? I mean, I think just about everyone would think that's possible.

But if you'd actually finished reading the article you linked to, you'd learn that a) this study isn't a randomly controlled trial, and so any findings should be treated as - at best - a reason to maybe undertake further research; b) that other (better) studies (including 2 random control trials) have found no beneficial effect; c) the patients who received hydroxychloroquine were twice as likely to receive steroids that might also have affected mortality risk; and d) 10% of the patients who took part in the trial haven't even left hospital yet, and (given that the longer you stay in hospital the higher your mortality risk generally is) that therefore the results of the study might actually change substantially in the near future.

TNT

Banned
You mean who would've thought that a observational study with obvious flaws and confounding factors might find enough noise in the data to conclude that there's some beneficial effect? I mean, I think just about everyone would think that's possible.

But if you'd actually finished reading the article you linked to, you'd learn that a) this study isn't a randomly controlled trial, and so any findings should be treated as - at best - a reason to maybe undertake further research; b) that other (better) studies (including 2 random control trials) have found no beneficial effect; c) the patients who received hydroxychloroquine were twice as likely to receive steroids that might also have affected mortality risk; and d) 10% of the patients who took part in the trial haven't even left hospital yet, and (given that the longer you stay in hospital the higher your mortality risk generally is) that therefore the results of the study might actually change substantially in the near future.
Being such an expert you should contact the relevant authorities and correct them.

GotSpin

I don't really understand the end game here at all

We were originally put into lockdown in order to flatten the curve so the hospitals wouldn't be overloaded

Okay fine

But are we supposed to go into lockdowns whenever an outbreak occurs until a vaccine is found?

RossTaylorsBox

No, you're supposed to do follow basic social distancing protocols to prevent getting the virus and do proper contact tracing so you can handle it before it gets out of control again.

RossTaylorsBox

By that time it might have run through the population and petered out. It's a new virus so no one realy knows what will happen long-term.

Burgey

How good is the Sheaf?

How good is the Crossroads?

It's quite weird watching the various State leaders and Ministers do their daily pressers. Victoria has turned into a **** show yet Andrews seems to keep at least fronting up, even though he sort of looks resigned to it being a **** show now. Watching Hazzard and Chant do the NSW briefing now and telling everyone there's a couple of community-based cases coming out of the pub at Liverpool, they look like they're shitting themselves.