• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

So, that's it for Winx - 33 in a row (25 G1). Sad it's over, but it's been a heck of a ride. Doubt I'll ever see anything like it again.

_Ed_

That's a pretty unsatisfactory Kentucky Derby. Maximum Security certainly wiped out a few horses around that home turn, but I'm not convinced the promoted winner Country House was that badly affected.

_Ed_

War Of Will was the worst affected in that Kentucky Derby carnage and was lucky not to fall, so it was good to see him come back and win the Preakness.

_Ed_

Not sure how strong this year's Derby field was, but that was a heck of an exciting finish.

Interesting that Anthony Van Dyck is a half-brother to Bounding, who was second in the New Zealand 1000 Guineas in 2013 and then won our biggest sprint race and was NZ's champion sprinter that season. She was also competitive in elite sprinting company in Australia. It just shows how strong the Galileo influence is, that this guy is now a classic winner over the mile and a half at Epsom.

_Ed_

I know it was only a Group 2, but you won't see many more exciting finishes than that Tea Rose Stakes in Sydney. That was unbelievable - three very special fillies.

Smudge

Got a couple of trotters going around for me at the moment (well, my 1.67% share). One of them won her maiden last month and backed up in stronger company last Friday for a very good 2nd, so she looks like she might be quite handy. The other one had a gallop at the start on Saturday, but she was a little fresh so I wasn't surprised - she lines up again on Thursday afternoon.

_Ed_

Awesome, good luck with both! Sounds really promising.

I haven't had much joy on the ownership front. My latest little dabble is a tiny share in a son of Ghibellines. Didn't do much in a trial this week, but it was his first one, so it's too soon to despair just yet. That'll come later.

_Ed_

For sure - looks to me to be a really promising and great-value sire with plenty of talented progeny all around NZ. Just remains to be seen whether my bloke will be one of them!

Athlai

Not Terrible
My cousin won her first race as a driver last month, no one in the bloody family even told me she was racing so I didn't win anything though.

_Ed_

It's been a pretty average few years for the Melbourne Cup - awful luck with fatal injuries, plus a series of wins by little-known European horses who often hadn't achieved that much in Europe beforehand. With the ridiculous prize-money increases in Sydney, I was thinking it was in danger of losing some of its relevance to Aussie sports fans. So it really needed what happened this year, IMO. That was a good 'un.

GoodAreasShane

Good stuff, happy an Aussie horse got up for the first time in a while. Happy for Craig Williams too (no, not the Namibian one), good reward for years of persistence

Smudge

I joined up to a harness racing ownership syndicate a couple of years ago. It was looking slim pickings until a few months ago. But now, one of them has won 4 from 6, and the other beat the best 3-year-old pacing fillies in the country on Friday night. They're both now lining up on Inter Dominion Grand Final night next Saturday at Alexaandra Park in Group 1 races of their own.

Having made $1300 from $40 worth of bets on Friday, I've booked flights to go up and watch them. Hopefully that's not the kiss of death.

_Ed_

I haven't had much joy on the ownership front. My latest little dabble is a tiny share in a son of Ghibellines. Didn't do much in a trial this week, but it was his first one, so it's too soon to despair just yet. That'll come later.
He made his long-awaited debut this afternoon and ran a remarkably bold second over 1200 metres! He's already earned almost 20% of his purchase price back, so that's a great start. Might have a bit of fun with this guy.

_Ed_

The CS Hayes today was a heck of a race - hyped up as a two-horse war between two freakish three-year-olds, and it delivered. Wish the Kiwi had won it, but still, I could watch that replay hundreds of times.