• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Fourth ODI at the WACA - The Saga Continues

John73

Still no comment over Englands slow over rate? I did post this question several times on CricInfo's live commentary - what is the story, has the ICC given up on enforcing this? Granted Australia wasn't without blame during the Ashes, it's absolutely terrible how much people are charged to watch a game of cricket (Test matches in this instance) to not see all of the overs bowled within the allotted time.

As I've already said, I didn't watch the full first innings of today's game, so I have no idea if Australia bowled their 50 overs in the allotted time - but if they did, how is it fair if England had only bowled 45 of their overs by the time the game should have been over? If the game had have lasted the distance, then England would have probably used 30 minutes extra to bowl their 50 overs - 30 minutes more to plan strategy, field placings etc. And let's not get into the Ashes and the time wasting (mainly England AFAIK) that occurred. The ICC really needs to buckled down and get onto this, it's killing the game.

Spikey

it's just a straight up fact that the only people who care about over rates also care about what these young people are wearing nowadays

Riggins

I for one hate when I go to a day at the cricket and get forced to spend an extra half hour having beers with the boys watching the match.

Riggins

can confirm dermo leaves before play even ends, so he probably has an issue with over rates and late finishes.

Burgey

come again? that makes sense how?
Welcome to the forum mate.

Over rates are viewed by many on here (me among them for the most part excepting really cynical slowing down of the game) as a non-event.

I think, without wanting to speak for everyone else, that generally we would rather see 85-90 overs in a test match day with 300-350 runs scored and/or multiple wickets taken than have sides roll through 95-100 overs a day with a score line of 2 or 3 for 190 to 220.

Sure, I don't think anyone wants to go back to the days pre-mandatory rates when you'd get 70-75 overs a day on occasions, but generally a number people here seem to think we are getting plenty of entertainment given the way test cricket is played these days.

Adders

Is anyone else getting a bit pissed about the constant reference to Australia missing 4 key players for this game?? It has been mentioned in this thread (but not overly so tbf) but just catching up on some reports this morning and it is talked about in all of them...........but no counter acknowledgement that England themselves are without 3 of the first names they'd list on any ODI team sheet and that's not including Finn who has been our best ODI bowler for the past 18 months.

At the end of the day this is just a bit of a facepalm saving consolation win.........can't ****s even let us have that without having to add this dubious "yeah but........"

PS,

Do Australia go back top if NZ beat India today?

grecian

i'm watching the highlights now, blimey Faulkner goes close to a no-ball everytime doesn't he, Jos though:wub:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Had lunch today with a young English girl who's just arrived in Australia and is looking for work. She was telling me she knows Joe Root from Uni. Doesn't really follow cricket though, so didn't know how they were doing. Apparently Joe said he'd like to catch up with her when she gets out here (and tbf to Joe, having met her I don't blame him - she's gorgeous). I mentioned he may well be able to get her into some decent clubs, being with a visiting sporting team and all, to which she replied "True, but he's just too much of a try hard'.

England's terrible tour continues.
95% sure he didn't go to varsity, tbh.

AlanJLegend

So I was thinking...

Nothing against Xavier Doherty (in shorter forms), but would it be potentially worthwhile to have Maxwell doing what he does, get Clarke to fill the bowling overs that Maxwell otherwise would and then bring in another batsman? Maxwell doesn't seem THAT much worse than Doherty with the ball, and the (on average) 20 runs and a wicket difference could be made up for by putting another batsman in the top 6 and Maxwell at 8 or a floating slogger. Would be cool to see something like

Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Bailey
SMiffy (or Christian/M-Marsh if another bowling option is needed)
Hadds/Paine/etc
Maxwell
Faulkner
Jonners
Starc/Cummins/NCN/idk

I'm not really sold on Finch yet :/