• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tour Games

aussie

well a good day for the men from the North..

Plus i wonder if Vaughan's presence in this match could mean we could be in for a shock selection of him in the 3rd test, that would be good.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Cook retired on 106. Read's along to 49 with Mahmood at the other end. Star batsman Giles made 4.

Doesn't mean a huge amount to make runs against the WA attack, but it's at the same ground they'll play the third test on, and it's valuable time in the middle.

FaaipDeOiad

Anderson's good performance may see Monty left out of the WACA test, as they're not going to drop Hoggard or Harmison, and Fletcher won't be keen on dropping Giles, so it's mainly Monty vs Anderson.

Lots of media pressure on to get Monty in, though. Will be an interesting call.

howardj

Surely neither Anderson, Giles or Jones will play.

Good to see Strauss get runs.

Straussy has had some weird dismissals this Series.

It's not like he's been outclassed.

FaaipDeOiad

howardj said:
Surely neither Anderson, Giles or Jones will play.

Good to see Strauss get runs.

Straussy has had some weird dismissals this Series.

It's not like he's been outclassed.
To be fair, I think he pretty much was outclassed with his first two dismissals. There was an obvious plan to target him with the short ball and Ponting even set a clear field for it on the second evening in Brisbane, and he was sucked in during both innings.

Both his second test dismissals were a bit unusual though. Was done by the slowish pitch in the first innings I think, and the second one he was just beaten in the flight and padded away the ball and was incorrectly given out.

I think Jones is a certainty for the third test, and Anderson's been doing well in all the tour games and Mahmood hasn't, so they might keep him in if they go for a fourth seamer. The correct team obviously has at least one of those two bowlers out for Monty, but with Fletcher's obsession with the tail they'll have to pick Giles I think. I think Jones vs Read is a nothing battle really. Read probably deserves a shot in the test team because Jones has been so horrible with the bat, but it's hard to see Read doing that much better.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Strauss' first innings at Brisbane wasn't "outclassed" - there was no plan, it was just a ball that was half there for the pull which he didn't get, and probably should have cut.

FaaipDeOiad

vic_orthdox said:
Strauss' first innings at Brisbane wasn't "outclassed" - there was no plan, it was just a ball that was half there for the pull which he didn't get, and probably should have cut.
It's not about the ball, I don't think. It wasn't anything special, but Ponting did put two men back for the hook and another closer in on the leg-side, and I disagree that there was no plan. Whether or not that was exactly the sort of ball they were trying to execute it with, they were trying to get him out hooking IMO, and the plan was to bowl short and have him mi**** one. Obviously though, it was Strauss's poor choice of which ball to hit that got him out, not the quality of the ball. Same goes for the dismissal in the second innings regarding the plan, though that was a more normal sort of delivery to play the shot to.

His second test dismissals were pretty meaningless, I think.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's not about the ball, I don't think. It wasn't anything special, but Ponting did put two men back for the hook and another closer in on the leg-side, and I disagree that there was no plan. Whether or not that was exactly the sort of ball they were trying to execute it with, they were trying to get him out hooking IMO, and the plan was to bowl short and have him mi**** one. Obviously though, it was Strauss's poor choice of which ball to hit that got him out, not the quality of the ball. Same goes for the dismissal in the second innings regarding the plan, though that was a more normal sort of delivery to play the shot to.

His second test dismissals were pretty meaningless, I think.
Um, remember Hussey was running back from normal square leg? At the time, there was only one guy out.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SirBloody Idiot said:
Is Alec Stewart a better option than Geraint? His form with bat and gloves make it seem it.
yes, and the fact that he's played about as much cricket as one of Englands strike bowlers does make him a viable option..

He also isn't mediocre, we know he's got class