• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 'When Will This Bloody Tour End?' T20 Thread

Dan

Global Moderator
1st T20I: Australia v England at Hobart
Jan 29, 2014 (19:35 local | 08:35 GMT | 19:35 EDT | 19:05 CDT | 16:35 WST)

2nd T20I: Australia v England at Melbourne
Jan 31, 2014 (19:35 local | 08:35 GMT | 19:35 EDT | 19:05 CDT | 16:35 WST)

3rd T20I: Australia v England at Sydney
Feb 2, 2014 (19:35 local | 08:35 GMT | 19:35 EDT | 19:05 CDT | 16:35 WST)

10 down, 3 to go.

theegyptian

Be interesting to see what kind of squad England put together for the ODI's and T20's in West Indies. SOunds like they're gonna use the ODIs as a warmup for the T20s and the T20 world cup. Guess the Aussies will get their wish to see Hales play ODI cricket.

Stokes especially could do with a break. Already in squads for all three formats and now a regular in test and odis. Wonder if they'll send him back from Aus early or not take him to WI for the ODI's or something. With the T20 world cup coming so soon after they'll want the T20 squad finalised (just read they name their final wc squad at the end of aus t20s). Root and Rankin are currently in all 3 formats and although they haven't played much cricket they've been with the squad all winter. Can't see Rankin making the T20 WC squad now. Nor Finn. So that is two would have been selected probably only 4 months ago and from an area of the squad where there is thin resources in the first place. Coupled that with the Swann retirement and the bowling is looking a worry for the T20 world cup. Jees they may be tempted to bring back Jimmy Anderson- Hopefully not.

They're going to have to gamble on a couple of bowlers presumably for the WC. Almost certainly means Stokes will be a key player as a bowler during the tournament.

Broad, Bopara, Bresnan, Briggs, Buttler, Dernbach, Hales, Lumb, Morgan, Stokes, Tredwell, Wright, Pietersen, (Gurney, Samit)

I'm guessing Samit Patel, Root, Gurney, Jordan are playing for two places to add to the list above. Root may just be given a rest as wouldn't get in a full strength T20 team and would probably be better served getting a rest then starting the championship season. Samit should definitely go and maybe in place of Tredwell or Briggs. Then I'd take Gurney over Jordan. Gurney's left arm, mid 80's, skiddy, good history in T20. You don;t really want to take someone untested like Gurney or Jordan to an extent but they're going to have to given the form of Finn and Rankin.

Team for 1st game of 2014 t20WC in Bangladesh v NZ - Hales, Lumb, Wright, KP, Morgan, Buttler, Samit, Stokes, Broad, Briggs, Dernbach

Spinner the big question mark. Briggs has been in more squads than anyone without playing it seems. And when he does play it's for a random game and he gets smashed. Continually tours with the ODI and T20 squad but seems completely anonymous. England need to back him or get rid. He's been very good in domestic cricket and should do well in Bangla and WI but playing him random games doesn't help. Probably going to struggle in Australia in this series as well.

Lyon should go to bangladesh in Australia's T20 squad imo. If you've got a decent spinner you should utilise him in favourable conditions. Maxwell or Doherty are defensive, inferior bowlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At least we're not playing 7 ODIs this time out.

England and Australia should really split their Ashes tours tbh. Would probably be more profitable to boot.
You've even banging this drum ever since you joined the forum but I 100% agree.

When we had the ODI series in 2010 over here I quite enjoyed it. We've saturated it since then but a standalone ODI series always matters more than when it's after the tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was annoying in 2012 because it was in place of an extra test V Saffa

In 2010 it replaced a 3rd test v Bangas so was all the more welcome

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2012 too. India seem to do it all the time with Australia now as well, and that works quite well.
I think that's because Australia don't have the time to do a full tour of India without it seriously impacting on their own home summer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not having the ODI series would also have created a bit of a window for the Big Bash, allowing Australia's best cricketers the chance to take part in their own domestic T20 competition.