• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oft Forgotten Player Comparison Thread

Marcuss

Like it or not, player comparisons are basically oxygen to CW and I think its getting perilously close to the stage where the air is getting a bit stale. While there has been some rather interesting discussion in the Sangakkara thread on a conceptual level, it has still somewhat boiled down to Tendulkar vs XYZ.

Rather than retreading old ground, as we seemingly always do, I thought it might be refreshing to discuss some of the very good-great players of the past. It might not be, but hey-ho.

One that I thought it might be reasonably interesting to start with is why is Arthur Morris rated so much higher than Lindsay Hassett?

smalishah84

The Tiger King
I think that very few posters on this forum are knowledgeable about the greats of pre-1970 era and hence they can't really do a good comparison between the others. I posted a Sobers vs Viv thread and there weren't too many who could really vote properly on the issue. Even Fred didn't post much in that thread (despite having seen Sobers bat I believe, and one of the rare posters on this forum who have actually done so).

Dan

Global Moderator
Morris being an opener and associated strongly with the Invincibles, while Hassett was captain (and most heavily associated) with the boring era that was the 50s, perhaps? That post-Don era wasn't exactly fashionable.

MrPrez

I thought Hobbs was generally accepted to be the better, and that the real debate was Hutton vs Sutcliffe.

weldone

The real debate is Hobbs vs Hutton vs Gavaskar. We all know that Sutcliffe is no. 4.

MrPrez

Bruce Mitchell represent
He's the absolute epitome of people being too romantic about the past. Even before Richards/Pollock/Kallis he wasn't considered the best SA batsman of all time, sitting behind Dudley Nourse. Not in the same league as Hobbs/Hutton.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's the absolute epitome of people being too romantic about the past. Even before Richards/Pollock/Kallis he wasn't considered the best SA batsman of all time, sitting behind Dudley Nourse. Not in the same league as Hobbs/Hutton.
Haha I don't think he's as good as Nourse, Hobbs or Hutton either. He's known as 'my boy' a bit though.

weldone

He was definitely the best SA opener before Barry Richards; wasn't he? Nourse was middle-order batsman.

The Sean

He was definitely the best SA opener before Barry Richards; wasn't he? Nourse was middle-order batsman.
Probably. Herbie Taylor would also have a case, though - like Victor Trumper - he was statistically more successful as a middle-order player than as an opener. Mitchell, on the other hand, was at his best going in first.

weldone

Hutton's runs often came against some incredibly varied, quality attacks.
As if Gavaskar only faced mediocre bowlers, lol!

Btw, this is what Hutton said about Gavaskar: " I have a feeling that if he had been born English or Australian, many of the better judges would have been tempted to bracket him with Bradman. Gavaskar is not as good as Bradman, but very close, which puts him in the very highest class of batsmen of all time."

OverratedSanity

Hutton being way too nice, obviously :p. After all, Holding called Sunny a fair weather batsman who thrived on good pitches but went missing when he came up against him on a seamer.