• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick an African XI to win the World Cup

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Present day and/or all time.

I don't think an African XI would come close to winning the World Cup. Pele must have been on some high quality crack the day he stated an African nation would win the whole thing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Picking the defence would be the toughest task I think. Can't think of any really great African defenders. I'm sure there are some, but all I can think of at the moment are Naybet and Radebe.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
cbf with present day.

Actually really struggling to come up with an all-time African XI as well due to an embarassing lack of defenders.

Bruce Grobbelaar (Zimbabwe)

Lauren (Cameroon)
Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast)
Samuel Koffour (Ghana)
????

Michael Essien (Ghana)
Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Abdei Pele (Ghana)
Jay-Jay Okocha (Nigeria)
Nwankwo Kanu (Nigeria)

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon)

Uppercut

cbf with present day.

Actually really struggling to come up with an all-time African XI as well due to an embarassing lack of defenders.

Bruce Grobbelaar (Zimbabwe)

Lauren (Cameroon)
Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast)
Samuel Koffour (Ghana)
????

Michael Essien (Ghana)
Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Abdei Pele (Ghana)
Jay-Jay Okocha (Nigeria)
Nwankwo Kanu (Nigeria)

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon)
There were two Cameroon keepers at the same time in the 70s that were supposed to be easily the best African keepers ever. Can't remember their names.

Can't help with the LB slot but you missed out George Weah.

Uppercut

Present day you're probably looking at:

Enyeama? Al-Habsi?

Constant
Toure
Benatia
Aurier

Asamoah
Toure
Song
Feghouli

Drogba
Eto'o

Can't imagine they'd be challenging for the trophy.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Al-Habsi? Bloody hell.

I know I've been moaning about African keepers recently, but I am sure there are some that are better than him. He was rubbish.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Enyeama's definitely been among the better keepers at the last two world cups. I remember him having a few incredible saves in the group games in 2010, against Greece and Argentina.

Salamuddin

What about Joseph Yobo in central defence ?
And Enyeama's probably the best African keeper I've seen

Jay jay Okocha in midfield also surely worth a shout.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Who would win out of an African, Asian and Concacaf XI?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, I wouldn't bet on an African XI, they'd doubtless show up striking over pay and unpaid bonuses and betting scandals.

Uppercut

CONCACAF probably don't have better players, but you'd still think they'd be miles better as a team.