• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings thread

grecian

I'm more worried about Buttler's mindset atm than his technique. I genuinely don't know what he's trying to achieve at the crease whilst batting the way he is.
Yeah, I agree, seemed to be pretty much free-wheeling as an attacking bat when he first came into it, now looks like he's thinking too much about it. The old paralysis by analysis.

91Jmay

Yeah, I agree, seemed to be pretty much free-wheeling as an attacking bat when he first came into it, now looks like he's thinking too much about it. The old paralysis by analysis.
He was walking in with the team miles ahead though when he first came in. He had no pressure and pie lobbers bowling at him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Series ratings so far, on the fly and uncalibrated

England

Cook: B- : Has looked in good nick with the blade and not got the results to match which is disappointing - he'd be somewhere around the D mark but for his generally good captaincy
Lyth: F : Decent in the field aside from one drop.
Bell: C+ : Dragged himself up from an E just in time for the midterms
Root: A- : averaging 60 with the bat, sub 30 with the ball, gun in the field. The type of guy you want your daughter to marry. Better than Steve Smith.
Stokes: C- : gun at Cardiff, quiet since, lucky not to be expelled for that run out at Lord's
Bairstow: TSTR (too soon to rate)
Buttler: C- : good behind the stumps, batting is a worry that a strong 8 and resurgent 9 are currently masking
Ali: C+ : Has more critics than seemingly anyone in the team but brings useful contributions frequently
Broad: B+ : the most consistent bowler on either side thus far and recovery with the bat well underway
Anderson: B+ : One good, one bad, one excellent. Will be missed
Finn: TSTR but on course for an A*
Ballance: C- : Was on his way to an E or F if he hadn't been dropped but did provide a very useful and important innings at Cardiff
Wood: C : a work in progress but scrapes the C for his value at Cardiff alone

Crime

Rogers: B+ : Excellent. Would make a good partner for Cook
Warner: F: as in for ****wit. Gets a B- for performance
Smith: E : bowled some of the worst legspin I've ever seen. Wishes he was Joe Root
Clarke: G : lol
Voges: G+ : lol
Marsh: E : Better than Watson tbf
Neville: B- : looks decent but got out three times in the second dig at Edgbaston and as such average must be adjusted accordingly
Johnson: B- : mixed bag. Aborted run up when crowd were laying into him was great panto stuff and shows the development of the guy versus 09 & 10-11. Also shows the difference between him and a bona fide **** like Warner. Still a **** though
Starc: C : unmemorable bar the odd delivery but not perhaps as bad as some are saying
Hazelwood: D : ****e
Lyon: B+ : very good
Watson: E- : as bad at cricket as he is at being a human being
Haddin: N/A : I don't rate players off one match unless they are Watson

Pothas

I'm more worried about Buttler's mindset atm than his technique. I genuinely don't know what he's trying to achieve at the crease whilst batting the way he is.
Yeah, I would be tempted to swap him and Moeen and just tell him to go and hit the ball.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He'll probably smash the fastest ever ton in the first ODI.

morgieb

Cook 5 - batted well before an odd dismissal first up, got a brute second ball. I didn't really notice his captaincy a lot but if you can knock off a side cheaply twice you're doing something right.
Lyth 2 - just isn't Test standard. Had England lost it would've likely been his last Test.
Bell 8 - should've kicked on in the first innings but looked a lot more positive and refreshed at 3. Will wait and see if this lasts.
Root 7.5 - solid game from him, will be kicking himself for the nature of his first innings dismissal thoguh.
Bairstow 2 - hard to grade as he got an absolute snorter first innings and didn't bat second innings. It is what it is, though.
Stokes 4 - bowled well, like Bairstow copped a ripper first innings.
Buttler 4 - kept well but there has to be question marks about his technique, mindset and attitude when batting. Why wouldn't you refer a decision which 1. would've been overturned and 2. when you're the last Top 7 batsman remaining?
Ali 5 - innings was ugly as sin but it was important, nothing to really write home about with the ball.
Broad 7.5 - bowled pretty well I felt, and his innings was important and surprisingly mature.
Finn 9 - well welcome back to Test cricket. Yeah he occassionally bowled tripe but looked dangerous and got some really important wickets. This was the white-ball version of Finn circa 2012.
Anderson 9 - hopefully for England's sake this injury doesn't keep him out of both Tests. Showed how dangerous he is on helpful surfaces in the second innings.

Rogers 7 - in the first innings looked the only batsman that knew what the stick in his hands was used for.
Warner 8 - got a good ball first up, played a very important second innings but will be aggreived to get out when he did.
Smith 1 - not his best but was due. Loses points for the second innings dismissal.
Clarke 0 - oh dear. Looked all at sea with the bat, dropped a catch, made some questionable captaincy decisions.
Voges 1 - been worked out. I suspect this is his last Test.
Marsh 2 - bowling was OK, but looks out of his depth with the bat. Calls to drop him for Watson is harsh though.
Nevill 5 - keeping wasn't amazing, batted well second dig.
Johnson 6 - bowled some ripping deliveries, but looked a bit too hittable at times. Needed better control IMO, he's hardly going to be a beacon of consistency and control so the rest of the bowling unit didn't really do their jobs.
Starc 5 - impressive batting but the Cook delievery aside generally looked really poor with the ball.
Hazlewood 3 - also took wickets but looked very unimpressive IMO. Strayed on to the pads too much and just didn't offer enough control.
Lyon 7 - well bowled first up. Second innings wasn't great but in fairness, the circumstances were hardly ideal.

morgieb

Overall ratings to date.

Rogers 8.5 - probably Australia's most consistent bat in a fairly weak batting line-up. Does not look like a man in his last series.
Warner 6 - has looked in good touch when he gets through the new ball but has thrown away starts. End of the day, not enough of his innings have been especially important.
Smith 8 - was brilliant at Lord's but hasn't been so good elsewhere. Weakness outside off stump has been exposed to an extent, although that probably applies for most batsmen.
Clarke 2 - he looks cooked, I'm afraid. Has not looked in good touch with the bat at all. His captaincy has also been odd this series.
Voges 2 - has been exposed. Unlike the Rogers one this selection on an aging FC gun didn't pay off.
Watson 4 - the first Test was pretty much Watson.txt. Rightfully dumped.
Haddin 2 - continued his bad run of form with the bat and made a crucial drop. The call to drop him wasn't ideal given the circumstances but I feel it was the right one.
Johnson 7 - struggled in the first innings of the series. Has improved since then and has been Australia's most dangerous bowler in the last two Tests. Not quite as brilliant as he was in 2013/14 but looks better than he did last summer.
Starc 5 - hasn't really learned a thing about bowling with the red ball, frankly. Still looks pretty rubbish when the ball stops swinging, although he at least gets wickets off good balls.
Hazlewood 7 - he's taken a lot of wickets at a good average but I don't think he's bowled as well as what he could've. Has struggled to get the line right to the left-handers and a few of those wickets have been tail-enders.
Lyon 8 - the pick of the Australian bowlers IMO. At the very least the most consistent of them.
Marsh 5 - doesn't look up to the required class with the bat, but has bowled well. Needs to convert his tour match form into Test runs fast.

Lyth 2 - not up to par, I'm afraid. I know Cook's opening partner has been a big issue for England since Strauss retired but I really don't think Lyth is the answer.
Cook 6 - one good if futile innings, not a lot else. His captaincy has been pretty damn good.
Ballance 3 - looked really bad all series and probably deserved to be dropped, but his runs at Cardiff were crucial.
Bell 6 - drags his rating up with an excellent performance at 3 at Birmingham. Yes he hasn't really kicked on with his fifites and has been patchy but 3 fifties means I can't grade him too low.
Root 8 - looked like the 2013 Root at Lord's, but has looked class when he gets in. On course to be England's best batsman since the 50's, probably.
Stokes 7 - comical run-out notwithstanding has largely batted very well. Bowling needs improvement.
Buttler 5 - kept well, but there has to be question marks about his technique, mindset and attitude when batting. Strong lower order is masking it but he'd want it to improve.
Ali 6 - he's done what's asked of him mostly. For the most part I think he's batted better than he's bowled though, despite looking as loose as **** a lot of the time.
Broad 8 - most consistent English bowler for the most part. Has mostly been very good.
Wood 5.5 - work in progress. Has potential and bowled well at Cardiff, but that action/run-up is gonna give him a lot of strife in his career.
Anderson 8 - doesn't look as effective without the new ball. But given a bit of assistance is as damaging as anyone. His injury will hurt.
Bairstow 2 - hard to grade as he got an absolute snorter first innings and didn't bat second innings. It is what it is, though
Finn 9 - well welcome back to Test cricket. Yeah he occassionally bowled tripe but looked dangerous and got some really important wickets. This was the white-ball version of Finn circa 2012.

Gnske

Warner: 6.5 - Threw away his 2nd innings, still trying to find his groove
Rogers: 6.5 - Looked like the only one who knew how to bat apart despite runs suggesting otherwise
Smith: 0 - Needs to learn swing is bad for you
Clarke: 0 - A walking corpse
Voges: 0 - A walking re-animated corpse
Marsh: 0 - Has had this problem where he enjoys leaving a nice gap between bat and pad for awhile, needs a fix tbh imo.
Nevill: 6 - Poor leave in 1st, good keeping, good innings in the 2nd but a legside attack to him actually worked, needs to up his game in that area.
Johnson: 6.5 - Almost turned the match without being overly impressive.
Starc: 1 - Only gets a point for the dismissal of Cook in the second and his luckswing innings. **** red-ball bowler.
Hazlewood: 1 - Pies galore
Lyon: 7 - Criminally underrated in the series so far, not utilized enough.

Cook: 5 - Batting didn't arrive, captaincy was excellent.
Lyth: 0 - Even I can do better
Bell: 7 - Emphatic response under pressure, 1st innings dismissal was tripe however.
Root: 8 - God level catching, good batting and a great overall match.
Bairstow: 1 - Didn't exist
Stokes: 1 - Didn't exist
Buttler: 0 - A real find, no doubt the player of a generation to come.
Ali: 6 - Won the match with his innings arguably, still not a good bowler most of the time.
Broad: 5 - Helped Ali, did very little bar get Rogers twice with the ball.
Finn: 8 - Glorious comeback, still bowling a few pies however.
Anderson: 9 - Masterclass in the first innings, pity hes dead.

Howe_zat

4th test

Rogers 6
Warner 4
Smith 3
Marsh 0
Clarke 1
Voges 6
Nevill 4
Johnson 5
Starc 8
Hazlewood 5
Lyon 7

Cook 7
Lyth 2
Bell 2
Root 9
Bairstow 7
Stokes 8
Buttler 4
Ali 6
Broad 10
Wood 6
Finn 6

halba

overall series for aus so far

Rogers - 9
Warner - 5
Smith - 5.5
Clarke - 0
Mitchell marsh - 2
Shaun marsh - 0
Adam voges - 1
brad haddin - 0
peter nevill - 3
shane watson - 1
mitchell starc - 6.5
josh hazlewood - 6
mitchell johnson - 3
nathan lyon - 6

Gnske

Rogers: 6 - Gave a million chances in the second dig despite a 50
Warner: 5 - Still won't **** off with that meme lap pull he does.
Smith: 2 - The catch was pretty good and deserves more than 0
Marsh: 0 - A good match by his standards.
Clarke: 0 - Not a good way to go into the sunset, poor, poor batting.
Voges: 2 - A pity his half century couldn't come when it mattered.
Nevill: 2 - Tidy keeping, out of his depth batting
Johnson: 0 - Useless
Starc: 7 - A meme five-for in between the pure **** he's been serving up
Hazlewood: 0 - Useless
Lyon: 1 - Didn't do anything

Cook: 5 - Poor drop, captaincy flowing
Lyth: 0 - Needs to go
Bell: 0 - Still bad
Root: 10 - Two rippers and a killer innings, flawless match.
Bairstow: 6 - Good first innings if a bit lucky
Stokes: 9 - Fantastic display of bowling and a catch to die for
Buttler: 0 - This whole "This lad I tell you, hes the future" meme needs to die
Ali: 3 - Didn't do anything really
Broad: 9 - GOAT
Wood: 5 - Still lacks something
Finn: 5 Average

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook 6 - saw off the new ball but again failed to go on but captaincy was excellent
Lyth N/A
Bell 1
Root 10 - he's magic
Bairstow 7 - not the best innings but that partnership was what took us from comfortable to the Aussies needing a miracle to get back in the game
Stokes 8 - purely rating as a bowler. Disappointing again with the bat
Buttler 3 - disappointing
Ali 5 - nice innings and great beard
Broad 11 - pretty good
Wood 5 - figures look better for cleaning up the tail but hey it got the job done
Finn 4 - a slight worry that he couldn't back it up from the last match but looked good Dorsey innings

Rogers 5 - gave it a go at putting a fight in second time round
Warner 4 - as above but loses a mark for stupidity
Smith 1 - will have better days
Marsh N/A
Clarke 2
Voges 5 - showed some fight second dig that may just earn him another go
Neville 3 - don't leave straight ones hey
Johnson 4 - wasn't awful but not really a threat
Starc 8 - don't feel he should be punished just because the batsman gave him nothing to defend. Top class
Hazelwood 2 - poor
Lyon 2 - as above

91Jmay

Cook 6 - Looks in good form but didn't go on again. Hope at Lords he gets that big score he looks like he could have in him.
Lyth 1 - Looked bad again, he'll get the Oval but if he fails he would likely be dropped. That said Alex Hales is 84* in a fairly low scoring game currently.
Bell 2 - Got a great one early, caught well but then shelled a hard one.
Root 10 - Amazing.
Bairstow 7 - Rode his luck, and still fighting against his technique but great timer of the ball and can help take the game away from opposition quickly. Buttler should be worried.
Stokes 9 - Second innings bowling was brilliant, extremely high quality and his catching is amazing.
Buttler 3 - Technical flaw to anything pitched up and kept poorly. He still has loads of talent, but if Bairstow puts a few scores together would raise interesting questions.
Ali 5 - Gave it a belt but bowling more like a part timer at the moment. Wonder if Rashid might get a look.
Broad 10 - All time great first innings.
Wood 6 - He bowls some filth but when he gets it right he is a real handful, said it a few times but not sure him/Finn can be in the same side at the moment.
Finn 5 - His second spell last night was fantastic. Dry, accurate and a handful. He and Wood need to sort out that no ball **** though.

Rogers 4 - Needed a lot of luck to survive, and never looked set for a big one.
Warner 4 - Looked terrible, and kept going at the ball and edging + that ****ing dire lap pull thing.
Smith 2 - Got a good one early 1st innings, great catch in 2nd but a horror dismissal 2nd dig.
Marsh 0 - Shambles. Plonks foot down pitch and tries to drive a ball away from his body x2.
Clarke 2 - Looked terrible first dig, then worst dismissal you will see. He fought in 2nd innings which I credit.
Voges 5 - Happy he got runs, applied himself well and a bit unlucky to get out to a catch like that
Neville 2 - I am a fan, liked him at Brum but he looked hopeless here.
Johnson 3 - Got flogged and rarely threatened.
Starc 7 - Will be a great bowler once he finds that channel around off stump consistently.
Hazelwood 1 - Four balls galore. Not what was advertised yet.
Lyon 2 - Hard for spinners especially defending a low score, but feel like England have started to work him about easier last few innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cook - 5 - hasn't had a great run of scores, but hasn't looked like he's in dog**** form at all. He's just finding ways to get out when set.
Lyth - 1 - I'm honestly delighted when he gets double figures
Bell - 1 - poor again
Root - 10 - troll batting. Love him.
Bairstow - 7 - solid effort, will be gutted at throwing away a ton
Stokes - 8 - great bowling 2nd innings.
Buttler - 5 - kept well, batted terribly
Moeen - 6 - lovely troll innings just to rub it in.
Broad - 10 - holy **** what a display. Wouldn't get into India's strongest XI though.
Wood - 6 - I like him but he's not quite all there. Sort out your no balls, you're running in from about 3 feet away, how are you overstepping?
Finn - 5 - couldn't repeat his Edgbaston heroics but didn't need to

Australia

Rogers - 0 - poor dismissal, 2nd innings runs were completely irrelevant
Warner - 0 - got a pretty decent nut to be fair. 2nd innings runs were completely irrelevant
Smith - 0 - poor dismissal, rendering the 2nd innings irrelevant
Clarke - 0 - a dismissal that looked terrible but I can understand the thought process behind it.
Marsh - 0 - might as well not have bothered.
Voges - 0 - another crap dismissal. Fighting knock in the 2nd dig that was ultimately irrelevant
Nevill - 0 - at least ensured that the tradition of hilarious leaves will be carried on after Clarke's retirement announcement
Johnson - 1 - bowled poorly, at least made an attempt to bat properly, shaming his top order colleagues in the process.
Starc - 5 - still yet to work out how to bowl ok stuff.
Hazelwood - 0 - rubbish. Supposed to be the "new McGrath", the original would still be a better option. Would be as well sending for his American Pie lookalike Paul Finch
Lyon - 2 - hard when you're defending **** all

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd be interested in a serious argument against it. One of the worst collectively displays of batting I have ever had the pleasure of watching.