• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QF3: Sweden v England

Indipper

You're going to get that with any large enough group of passionate fans honestly. Most people will celebrate appropriately and keep things in context, but there'll always be a group that won't.
When was the last time you saw people from, say, Italy trash Paddington Bear after beating England?

Adders

You're going to get that with any large enough group of passionate fans honestly. Most people will celebrate appropriately and keep things in context, but there'll always be a group that won't.
Yeah nah......this is braindead behaviour, it's not going a little overboard in the heat of the moment. Not justifiable on any level so I don't think you can just shrug it off and say well "you're going to get that"

And the last thing I'd call these muppets is "passionate fans" A genuinely passionate English fan would care about his/her country and it's reputation and would understand that they have to behave better than everyone else,

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think SS was attempting to justify it. He was just opining that it was inevitable, and I agree. The reason being: a lot of people are ****.

Burgey

I saw the two groups of fans before this game doing their respective “Youre **** but your girls are fit” and “Go home to your ugly wives” chants. Maybe Ikki is right (highly unlikely) and western civilisation really has gone to the crapper.

Ikki

The smartest thing Southgate did was going to the 3-5-2. England, with its golden generation, was always outnumbered in midfield because most of the managers were playing 2 in midfield.

Frank here is basically outing this mismanagement.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think a lot of the reason behind that was because of Beckham tbh. Managers (rightly or wrongly) felt they could not drop him, but he could basically only really play wide right in a flat 4 across the middle. He wasn't fast enough or good enough defensively to play as a wing back, and when they experimented with him in the middle it became immediately obvious he was not as good as Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, or even Hargreaves.

S.Kennedy

I still cannot believe Sven - I think it was Sven, or maybe it was one of the duds after - had Beckham in the defensive central midfielder ''holding role'' in one match!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I still cannot believe Sven - I think it was Sven, or maybe it was one of the duds after - had Beckham in the defensive central midfielder ''holding role'' in one match!
There's probably quite a lot you struggle to believe tbh.

OverratedSanity

The smartest thing Southgate did was going to the 3-5-2. England, with its golden generation, was always outnumbered in midfield because most of the managers were playing 2 in midfield.

Frank here is basically outing this mismanagement.

I don't buy the "our club rivalry was too intense" excuse tbh. Ramos and Pique won the WC and Euros together.

harsh.ag

He actually said that it wasn't one of the main reasons in his opinion, and even then it was more about them thinking of clubs as their home team as opposed to players like Crespo.

wpdavid

I think a lot of the reason behind that was because of Beckham tbh. Managers (rightly or wrongly) felt they could not drop him, but he could basically only really play wide right in a flat 4 across the middle. He wasn't fast enough or good enough defensively to play as a wing back, and when they experimented with him in the middle it became immediately obvious he was not as good as Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, or even Hargreaves.
Agreed. I was having the same conversation the other day, actually. The availability of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard was crying out for something like the current formation, but SGE never had the guts to drop Beckham. tbf, it's debatable whether we had the quality of full-back to play as wing backs. Maybe Ashley Cole, although he wasn't the best going forward. Likewise Gary Neville, I suppose.

wpdavid

Thinking about it, Hoddle may have played Beckham in a more central role in 1998, as his formation wasn't the usual 4-4-2.
Worked quite well, as I remember, until he got himself sent off against Argentina.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Agreed. I was having the same conversation the other day, actually. The availability of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard was crying out for something like the current formation, but SGE never had the guts to drop Beckham. tbf, it's debatable whether we had the quality of full-back to play as wing backs. Maybe Ashley Cole, although he wasn't the best going forward. Likewise Gary Neville, I suppose.
Ashley Cole was very effective going forward, and Neville very underrated crosser of the ball as well.

Not dropping Beckham was understandable though. Bloke was basically walking on water between 2001 and 2003. A truly talismanic and inspirational figure who was very well-liked. He was also usually very good whilst playing for England in the 4-4-2 system, even if few other players were. Always gave it 100% as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thinking about it, Hoddle may have played Beckham in a more central role in 1998, as his formation wasn't the usual 4-4-2.
Worked quite well, as I remember, until he got himself sent off against Argentina.
Yeah that's right. Didn't play him at all in the first few games of the tournament though iirc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree with this until we get up to the full backs. Both excellent attacking full backs in my opinion.