• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Random Animal Meat

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, random thread time.

Next weekend it's the cricket club's end-of-season dinner, and whilst I won't be winning anything unless there are awards for either (i) most stumpings or (ii) jug avoidance, there is a choice of some thoroughly random animal meats I've never tried before.

So... does anyone have any experience of the following: ostrich, kangaroo, wildebeest, zebra, impala, red hartebeest, springbok, crocodile, waterbuck, kudu, gemsbok and reindeer.

My favourite "normal" meat is lamb.

jan

ostrich, kangaroo, wildebeest, zebra, impala, red hartebeest, springbok, crocodile, waterbuck, kudu, gemsbok and reindeer.
Sound like either SA or AUS national team :laugh:

Had ostrich twice. Each time its taste was different so I suspected a more-legged animal but liked it - sort of tougher chicken it seemed to me. I would be sceptical about genuineness of such exotic meats, especially in case your club isnt a wealthy one.

cpr

TBH Kangaroo isn't too rare over here.

I've been told it tastes quite lamby, though i compared it to pork, so eff knows.... was quite a soft meat though, and tasted very nice. Thats about it.

Howe_zat

I was once curious enough to order ostrich when I was in the Lake District. It was in a pie, and my opinion at the time was that the pie would've been far better if it were your standard beef steak affair. As Jan says, it's tougher than chicken and just as bland.

four_or_six

Had reindeer on a reindeer farm in Finland, it was really good. The Finnish folk songs accompanying it were a bit dodgy though, almost as bad as the Scottish guy in our group who returned the honour with some kind of traditional Scottish poetry/singing.

Burgey

Thank god this thread isn't what sprung to mind when I read the title.

Have had ostrich (they have red and white meat), springbok, impala, kangaroo, crocodile. Wouldn't say any of them are awful by any stretch.

If in doubt, adopttje default position... "tastes a bit like chicken".

Top_Cat

Kanga's extremely low-fat meat so you need to cook it in strong stuff. The majority of it, if we're talking steaks, is cooked with a fairly strong red wine/plum sauce on it. Very easy to make it tough, basically have to eat medium-rare or you're eating jerky.