• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups from best to worst

Victor Ian

This is turning into a classic race for the top four. If they had groups one half would likely be done and dusted and of no consequence. The other half would have less teams breathing down the necks of those at the top and less games to catch up and do it.

ankitj

This world cup has hugely redeemed itself since the washout week. Only thing that can drop it back to being one of the worst again is if Australia wins.

Victor Ian

Rank the world cups that Australia won that most pissed you off. Obviously, none of them pissed me off, but if I were to put on my non Australian hat from least hated to most...

1987 - Can't hate them yet. First time they won, and they are a rabble everywhere else - give a dog a bone!
1999 - **** Off - That sucks. Particularly for South Africans. It put a monkey that was to grow into a gorilla on their backs
2003 - Get ****ed ****s! Do you have to be winning everything so comprehensively? Oh well - retirements will soon bring you back to the field.
2015 - Sheesh. Go away you pricks. At least you are no longer ruling the test scenario and are pathetic at T20.
2007 - ****! ****! **** of ****s! Go and get ****ed. When are you going to become ****. This is just tedious you mother ****ers!

2019? FMD! Wont you ****s ever die? Cant win a game for two years but World Cup comes along and we have to now live with this 'it's in their DNA' nonsense for the next four years.

Last edited:

vcs

In 2007, I was cheering for them after India went out because they were playing ridiculously well. 2015 was very irritating. One country winning 5 World Cups is just taking the piss.

Daemon

I’m actually ok with 2019 because they lost a test series to India at home. Feel like it balances things out alright.

Victor Ian

Conversely, I am ok with India winning this one. After winning in Australia, even with the asterisk, they have really shown themselves to be a real deal, rather than a bullshit team who can only bat. Except for growing up thinking it is my birthright, I feel India is the team that deserves this world cup. Just because I feel that doesn't stop me from hoping they fail though.

ankitj

Rank the world cups that Australia won that most pissed you off. Obviously, none of them pissed me off, but if I were to put on my non Australian hat from least hated to most...

1987 - Can't hate them yet. First time they won, and they are a rabble everywhere else - give a dog a bone!
1999 - **** Off - That sucks. Particularly for South Africans. It put a monkey that was to grow into a gorilla on their backs
2003 - Get ****ed ****s! Do you have to be winning everything so comprehensively? Oh well - retirements will soon bring you back to the field.
2015 - Sheesh. Go away you pricks. At least you are no longer ruling the test scenario and are pathetic at T20.
2007 - ****! ****! **** of ****s! Go and get ****ed. When are you going to become ****. This is just tedious you mother ****ers!

2019? FMD! Wont you ****s ever die? Cant win a game for two years but World Cup comes along and we have to now live with this 'it's in their DNA' nonsense for the next four years.
This is pretty accurate IMO. 1999 was fine actually even though heart breaking for SA.

Fuller Pilch

2003 and 2007 were the worst. In 2003 Shane Bond had an edge over their batsmen, the memories of the VB triseries when he ended the Waughs ODI careers were fresh, and if we have played properly in the pool match we should have made the semis and then pushed for the title. In 2007 we went to the tournament with England having won the ODI triseries in Australia and we whitewashed them in the Chappell Hadlee series. Despite all this the Aussies didn't lose a single game over those two tournaments

stephen

2003 and 2007 were the worst. In 2003 Shane Bond had an edge over their batsmen, the memories of the VB triseries when he ended the Waughs ODI careers were fresh, and if we have played properly in the pool match we should have made the semis and then pushed for the title. In 2007 we went to the tournament with England having won the ODI triseries in Australia and we whitewashed them in the Chappell Hadlee series. Despite all this the Aussies didn't lose a single game over those two tournaments
That was a cracker of an underarm-wanker series that one. I remember Hayden going ballistic after being woefully out of form. He scored something like half his ODI centuries in the year or two after making a hundred at home after being dropped on like 20 in what would probably have been his last game before being dropped if it wasn't for the ton.

Burgey

I'm actually really enjoying this WC now the wet week seems to have passed. Been some high quality games between competitive sides, and it's still up in the air despite the limited KO format rather than quarters/ super sixes. Absence of a few minnows counts against it a bit, but imo is made up for by the quality of the games.

1999 still my favourite, primarily because of that semi final, which basically transcended the entire event, and arguably still transcends this format of the game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So this is probably the best World Cup ever.

Halfway through every team besides Afghanistan had a realistic chance at qualifying. WI had a few strong performances that breathed a bit of life into them, Shakib back to back MOTM performances, SL somehow began clicking as a cohesive unit and Pakistan had a few star making performances from the likes of Shaheen and Babar. SA were SA and always could turn it around.

At that point there were stumbles from the favourites to qualify that opened it up even more. A whole bunch of great games around this point.

Then the finals come around and you have an ATG semi between NZ and India and then you have the home team beating perennial foe Australia who had never lost a semi before.

It's been a great World Cup, despite the time zones and a week of rain early on.

OverratedSanity

England v SL really reignited the tournament. I think it's probably the best wc I've watched. A good final would seal it beyond doubt.

jimmy101

Have enjoyed this World Cup a hell of a lot more than the 2015 edition. The return to more normal looking scorecards has helped. The balance between bat & ball has been somewhat addressed.

TheJediBrah

Yeah it's nice that one of our biggest fears for this World Cup (England serving up roads with 400+ scores being common) proved completely groundless in the end

Bahnz

Great games in 2019

Bangladesh v SA; Pakistan v England; NZ v Bangladesh; Australia v West Indies; South Africa v NZ; Sri Lanka v England; India v Afghanistan; New Zealand v West Indies; Afghanistan v Pakistan; Sri Lanka v West Indies; South Africa v Australia; New Zealand v India

Great games in 2015 (not including matches featuring minnows playing minnows, coz who gives a ****)

West Indies v Ireland; Afghanistan v Sri Lanka; NZ v Australia; South Africa v Pakistan; Bangladesh v NZ; Bangladesh v England; NZ v South Africa