• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

adharcric

Scaly piscine said:
For some reason I had baseball on last night and even the yanks were slamming how farcical it is to have the World Cup decided by penalties. This was the conversation roughly:

Old white guy: Did you watch the World Cup final Joe?
Slightly younger black guy: Yes I did watch it, can't believe after 3 weeks [sic] of all that hard work it was decided by a penalty shootout. It's like the NBA being decided by foul throws
Old white guy: In which case any team with Shaq in it is gonna lose

I concur. I just can't bring myself to give a toss when a team 'wins' by penalties, it's a joke.
Actually, that's a poor analogy. Points being scored is almost inevitable in basketball. When teams force an overtime in basketball, it's not boring but rather super-exciting (unlike in football). In comparison, it's very hard to score a deciding goal in football. You could make them play on forever, but it's pretty obvious that they get tired rather fast. That doesn't speak too well of the players' fitness, but one solution is to give longer breaks instead of non-stop action all the way. The other option is a golden goal and while that will bring attacking football, it may be (too) easily ruined by a botched penalty call or something of the sort. That other idea of playing it on another day would just kill the charm of the match. I don't think penalty kicks are as bad as they're made out to be, but when you have Henry, Zidane, Toni and Totti not participating, something's wrong. Then again, it's the players' and coach's fault.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
Actually, that's a poor analogy. Points being scored is almost inevitable in basketball. When teams force an overtime in basketball, it's not boring but rather super-exciting (unlike in football). In comparison, it's very hard to score a deciding goal in football. You could make them play on forever, but it's pretty obvious that they get tired rather fast. That doesn't speak too well of the players' fitness, but one solution is to give longer breaks instead of non-stop action all the way. The other option is a golden goal and while that will bring attacking football, it may be (too) easily ruined by a botched penalty call or something of the sort. That other idea of playing it on another day would just kill the charm of the match. I don't think penalty kicks are as bad as they're made out to be, but when you have Henry, Zidane, Toni and Totti not participating, something's wrong. Then again, it's the players' and coach's fault.
It works in ice hockey, where a deciding goal is rather tricky to score (at least on the NHL's small grounds - I've seen some 0-0 results there too, which I've found amazing). Besides, tired players ought to make more mistakes, and because both teams are aware that no matter what they do there will be a golden goal at the end, there should really be no need to play all out defensive and wait for the inevitable penalty shoot-out.

I think, anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You're not wrong, but the defences would have retreated so much there would be nowehere to aim, it would be stalemate. Interesting idea in theory but I couldn't see it working in practice

Taking a player off each side after certain points would be an interesting method

andyc

Looks doubtful. And don't post here if you're not saying anything about soccer/football.