• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby World Cup Tipping Comp

Somerset

I seem to be dropping down the table which is a little worrying, Bunny seems to have first place secured so hoping I can overtake Matteh for silver. :)

Stefano

I play similar games in other forums. In one forum we have a rule which I would like to discuss with you.

Knockout matches cannot end in a draw. If the scores are levelled after 80 minutes, there are the extra times. In our games, whenever a match goes into OT, it is always considered a 1-point game, regardless of the final score. Example:

After regulation, France and Argentina have both scored 20 points. In the OT, France score 20 points, while Argentina just 3, so the official score is 40-23 for France. However, for the matter of our game, the final score is 21-20 for France: France have won for 1 point not for 17. I think this is a fair rule.

Then: what about tries? I also think that we should only consider regulation and not extra time.

What do you think?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I play similar games in other forums. In one forum we have a rule which I would like to discuss with you.

Knockout matches cannot end in a draw. If the scores are levelled after 80 minutes, there are the extra times. In our games, whenever a match goes into OT, it is always considered a 1-point game, regardless of the final score. Example:

After regulation, France and Argentina have both scored 20 points. In the OT, France score 20 points, while Argentina just 3, so the official score is 40-23 for France. However, for the matter of our game, the final score is 21-20 for France: France have won for 1 point not for 17. I think this is a fair rule.

Then: what about tries? I also think that we should only consider regulation and not extra time.

What do you think?
I'm pretty easy, really. Given we've already had 6 knock-out games without the rule tho it might be easier to stick with what we've got! I'm happy to bow to the majority either way.

It probably won't be an issue anyway (he said, tempting fate).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scoring for final & 3rd place play-off

Right, we're continuing with our current three modes of scoring:

Spot-on prediction: 10 points
1-7 points out: 5 points
8-14 points out: 3 points
Correct outcome: 1 point

NB: no points for incorrect tip, regardless of narrowness of result.

Total number of tries correct: 5 points
1 try out: 3 points
2 tries out: 1 point

First tryscorer correct: 5 points
Predicted tryscorer scores a try that isn't the first try: 1 point

But I'm also taking onboard Clapo's suggestion:

Seeing as there are only 2 games this round, and to make it a little harder again, any chance of adding something to do with Penalty Goals in there?
Which will be scored along the same lines as the tries:

Total number of successful penalties correct: 5 points
1 penalty out: 3 points
2 penalties out: 1 point

& Jamee's idea seems fair enough too:

Dale - the final to be worth double points?
So for the final all scores are worth double, you can do the maths yourselves. :p As no-one has voiced opinion on Stefano's idea, I'll be taking into account the margin after extra-time should it be played & penalties kicked and tries scored in extra time also count towards the totals.

Alles klar?

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina

Saturday, 20 October 2007
England v South Africa

Stefano

Alles klar? KOMMISSAR!!

BoyBrumby: mine (et matches = 1 point difference) was just a proposal. If you like it, take it! If you don't, let's play with the old rules. Then, extra time seldom occurs in RWC; just 2 out of more than 40 matches; and if we consider the first rounds, just 2 other matches ended in a draw.

Matteh

3rd Playoff - France by 12, 3 tries, That guy in the hottest women thread loads recently, Hernandez possibly, 6 successful penalties.

Final - South Africa by 12, 3 tries, Habana, 6 successful penalties.

Perm

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina by 10
5 tries
Christophe Dominici

England v South Africa by 5
Bryan Habana

ohtani's jacket

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina -- Argentina by 10
4 tries
Clerc
5 penalties

England v South Africa -- South Africa by 15
3 tries
du Preez
6 penalties

Somerset

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina - France by 4
5 tries
Jauzion
6 penalties

England v South Africa - South Africa by 10
3 tries
Habana
8 penalties

Stefano

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina -- France by 10
3 tries
Poitrenaud
6 penalties

England v South Africa -- England by 5
2 tries
Habana
7 penalties

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina by 3
4 tries
Corletto

England v South Africa by 20
5 tries
Fourie du Preez

The_Bunny

France v Argentina - France by 15
5 tries
Corletto
6 penalties

England v South Africa - England by 7
2 tries
Habana
7 penalties

Johnners

Friday, 19 October 2007
France v Argentina -- Argentina by 18
5 tries
Clerc
4 penalties

England v South Africa -- South Africa by 21
4 tries
Habana
6 penalties

BoyBrumby

Englishman
France by 6
Dominici
5 tries
6 penalties

England by 2
Robinson
3 tries
6 penalties

No tips from Pup Clarke, Jason or altoz yet. About 4 hours to go to catch French/Argies.