• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin reacts to the presentation

Dravid

Scmods said:
What Ponting did was rude, yes.

It was a loud stadium, Pawar may not have heard Martyn. All it was was a hand on his back guiding him, no push, no shove.

I lost respect for Sachin because he commented on an issue he himself admitted he hadn't seen. He shouldn't be commenting on things and saying he's "upset" with us over something he hadn't seen.
He went from what he heard, and it's not like he is the only person in the world who goes on what they heard. And I'm sure he saw it after he made his comments, but he still did not change his comments. So that means he was truely upset by what happen, otherwise he would have changed it after he saw it

And as far as the stadium being too loud, I saw the event take place atleast 30 times now, and not once did I see an attempt from Martyn to move his lips and and ask Pawar.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's not a big matter, but I'm just interested in how you only lost respect for Sachin and not Martyn.

Scmods

Dravid said:
He went from what he heard, and it's not like he is the only person in the world who goes on what they heard. And I'm sure he saw it after he made his comments, but he still did not change his comments. So that means he was truely upset by what happen, otherwise he would have changed it after he saw it

And as far as the stadium being too loud, I saw the event take place atleast 30 times now, and not once did I see an attempt from Martyn to move his lips and and ask Pawar.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's not a big matter, but I'm just interested in how you only lost respect for Sachin and not Martyn.
They'd just won the championship, Pawar was right in the middle of the photographs and did not look like moving at all. Asking him would've taken more time, when we just wanted to get the photos taken and end the farce of a ceremony. It was a hand on his back guiding him, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Dravid

Scmods said:
They'd just won the championship, Pawar was right in the middle of the photographs and did not look like moving at all. Asking him would've taken more time, when we just wanted to get the photos taken and end the farce of a ceremony. It was a hand on his back guiding him, absolutely nothing wrong with that.
That was not the point of this whole thing, the point was that he is older than you and you shouldn't even put your hand on his back and show him the way as it disrespectful in India. Thats why this whole thing started.

Scmods

Dravid said:
That was not the point of this whole thing, the point was that he is older than you and you shouldn't even put your hand on his back and show him the way as it disrespectful in India. Thats why this whole thing started.
What was Martyn supposed to do? Bow down and beg him to move? We wanted it over quickly and that was a quick, harmless way of telling him that he was in the way.

Dravid

Scmods said:
What was Martyn supposed to do? Bow down and beg him to move? We wanted it over quickly and that was a quick, harmless way of telling him that he was in the way.
Ask him. He was standing hardly 5 feet away from him.

Scmods

Dravid said:
Ask him. He was standing hardly 5 feet away from him.
As I said, he just wanted it over quickly so he thought he'd cut out the middle man and just guide him. Easy, quick, no harm done.

Dravid

Scmods said:
As I said, he just wanted it over quickly so he thought he'd cut out the middle man and just guide him. Easy, quick, no harm done.
Apparently harm was done. You don't get what I'm trying to say. To you, that seems nothing, but putting your hand on someone that old and showing them the way is really disrespectful in India.

burr

Dravid said:
Apparently harm was done. You don't get what I'm trying to say. To you, that seems nothing, but putting your hand on someone that old and showing them the way is really disrespectful in India.
Yes, but the Australians may not have known that, and understanably.You can never know every nuance about another county's culture and way of life and after you just won a trophy and the dude is refusing to budge a gentle hand on the back to guide someone off the stand is reasonable. The Indian media should realise that – they blew this non-incident out of all proportion - it was totally irresponsible and petty reportage. Journalism at its worst. I’m beginning to lose respect for cricket in India – the way they run the game, their media apart from a select few who report mainly for cricinfo. I always thought they were cricket lovers but it appears they are Indian cricket lovers only.

Dasa

burr said:
Yes, but the Australians may not have known that, and understanably.You can never know every nuance about another county's culture and way of life and after you just won a trophy and the dude is refusing to budge a gentle hand on the back to guide someone off the stand is reasonable. The Indian media should realise that – they blew this non-incident out of all proportion - it was totally irresponsible and petty reportage. Journalism at its worst. I’m beginning to lose respect for cricket in India – the way they run the game, their media apart from a select few who report mainly for cricinfo. I always thought they were cricket lovers but it appears they are Indian cricket lovers only.
No it isn't. They didn't appear to ask him to move, and whether it was a joke or not, it was disrespectful and that's why the players involved apologised for it. As for the rest of your rant...seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Dravid

burr said:
Okay I understand people don't know about other peoples culture. But if you don't know it, then don't call this a small matter and stupid because you don't know how other people feel. Just because you think its a joke, doesnt mean everyone else thinks its a joke.

adharcric

I'm usually not this blunt, but such a post calls for it. Try not to make an idiotic post like this, ever again.
burr said:
Yes, but the Australians may not have known that, and understanably.You can never know every nuance about another county's culture and way of life
Good point. They may have been unaware of this cultural nuance and that's why this isn't such a big deal. If they have any decency, though, they would still apologize if it offended someone, even if it was unintentional. Ponting and Martyn have both apologized so I'm proud of them. As for some of the posters on here, can't say quite the same.
burr said:
the dude is refusing to budge a gentle hand on the back to guide someone off the stand is reasonable.
They could have asked him to make his way off the podium instead of "pushing" (yes, it was gentle but it wasn't a "tap on the shoulder" as some would pretend). Was it reasonable? Yes, perhaps, almost. Could it have been considerably better? Most definitely. No big deal though.
burr said:
The Indian media should realise that – they blew this non-incident out of all proportion - it was totally irresponsible and petty reportage. Journalism at its worst. I’m beginning to lose respect for cricket in India – the way they run the game, their media apart from a select few who report mainly for cricinfo. I always thought they were cricket lovers but it appears they are Indian cricket lovers only.
First of all, just about every Indian cricket lover on CW absolutely abhors and ridicules that pathetic Indian media. Second, how does the media's bull**** reflect "cricket in India"? The media are not cricket lovers - they are trying to attract people, fool people and make money.
One thing's for sure: if you really mean what you just said, I've definitely lost respect for you.

On a side note, let me say that I don't even care about this incident anymore because it wasn't a big deal to start with and both Ponting and Martyn have responded perfectly and resolved things with Pawar. The only problem I have right now is that certain posters continue to vomit rubbish.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Jono said:
Anti-catism is worse than anti-semitism in my book :p

I obviously didn't report the post btw, but your hatred towards cats disgusts me. Fair enough not liking them, but wanting to hunt them? Disturbing, you're like those people here in Aus who were burning them alive and whipping them into brick walls holding their tails.

Should be shot IMO.
Agreed. When that case become public I felt so sick.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
burr said:
I always thought they were cricket lovers but it appears they are Indian cricket lovers only.
When someone believes something Sanjay Manjrekar says, its worrying.

Anil

silentstriker said:
Hey, no one said anything about torturing them! That arrow would be quick. It travels like 300 ft/sec. The cat wouldn't know what hit it.
and that of course makes everything alright...8-)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I do. Your days are numbered SS.

And I agree with everyone in this thread, on both sides of all the arguements.

Turbinator

Haven't been on this thread for a long time and am surprised you guys are still argueing over it....it's over and done with (even the people involved in it have moved on with their lives).