• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi final 2: Argentina vs Holland

Burgey

Well, got to say the Argies kept their nerve very well there. Shame for the Dutch, but, well, someone has to bow out.

Have to think Germany will win it, barring something mercurial from Messi.

Pothas

Well there we go then.

No real sympathy for the Dutch, if you don't score a goal for two games then you don't deserve to be in the final.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Second time in a row someone who scored a penalty in a live game didn't take out of four players. Instead they got a centre back to place it straight at the goalkeeper with no power.

The Sean

To be fair, you can see why he gets subbed off for shootouts.

Would things have worked out differently if Van Perise had stayed on and Krul had come on, particularly given that Huntelaar neither scored nor took a penalty?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
To be fair, you can see why he gets subbed off for shootouts.

Would things have worked out differently if Van Perise had stayed on and Krul had come on, particularly given that Huntelaar neither scored nor took a penalty?
You have to be prepared to lose to win

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Can't wait for LVG and Mourinho in the prem every week. If this WC is anything to go by, will be lots of hype and not a lot of goals.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No sympathy for Holland at all. They obviously came into this game with their top priority being just to put 5 men on Messi, get behind the ball, and for a Robben counter-attack to be their only mode of attack.

If they had set up more offensively I think they would have won this, as Argentina were there for the taking.

Alternatively, if Argentina actually had a midfield they'd have threatened a great deal more. Can't see them giving Germany much of a game in the final though if Germany are in a similar mood to which they were in last night. Pleased as I am that Argentina got through, they pretty much owe this win to Mascherano, who did the job of about 3 players tonight. Top marks to Zabaleta as well.

The Sean

Second time in a row someone who scored a penalty in a live game didn't take out of four players. Instead they got a centre back to place it straight at the goalkeeper with no power.
Yep, Huntelaar's penalty against Mexico was near-perfect, and yet against both Costa Rica and Argentina he was clearly down either to go fifth or not at all. Bizarre.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd kind of like to see Argentina score the winner from a ball over the top from defence followed by an error by Neuer just to see sledger's reaction

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really hate it when you see big lumbering players with no technical finesse try and pass the ball in when they take a pen. They should just smash it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd kind of like to see Argentina score the winner from a ball over the top from defence followed by an error by Neuer just to see sledger's reaction
Haha, if they do, they do, I guess. I have no great affection for either side other than the fact that I like some of the players on both teams. I'd rather Germany won, but that's because they're just the better team by absolute streets.

Ikki

Yeah, it would be a bit tragic if this **** Argentina side won over a pretty fantastic German side.