• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Clarke play in the WC

Should Clarke play in the WC

• Yes, retire whenever he wants

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Yes, retire immediately after

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Actually, it's about ethics in game journalism

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
So I've been advocating that Clarke retires from ODIs after the WC for a while now, but there seems to be a body of thought building that says that even that's too far, on the basis that he's basically no longer really necessary for the ODI side and such an asset in Tests that he should be preserved for as long as possible in that format.

I seriously doubt he will, but it's an interesting thought.

Niall

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he wouldn't play as long as the likes of Ponting, Sachin etc, so its doubtful he will be playing in a few years anyhow, money is made and I am sure he can find things to keep him occupied.

I think he is still a gun ODI player so if fit definitely room for him in the side. I'd use a little common sense with him, maybe rest him against the minnows Scotland, Afghanistan and the UAE,heck I'd rest Mitch against those as well now I think about it.

If fit, then play, but if not, selectors will have to be hard line and tell him he is not needed, no matter how much he sulks.

More interested if Harris should play? Gun ODI player, last chance of a world cup, in his home country, he probably deserves a chance for putting his body through so much to preserve himself for test cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Home world cups don't come around all that often. Let him play if he wants, it's not like you won't be able to get someone there to take his place in the squad if he breaks.

YorksLanka

His skills also apply to man management as well as this within playing and the former shouldn't be underestimated..fantastic player, and bloke too..

Riggins

Yes. **** the group games off though. I don't really know how the structure works, but probably play the warm up games without fielding and then the semi and final.

howardj

He has broken down in the last three games he has played - in Zimbabe, the ODI in Perth and then in the Adelaide Test...all times during the game

It beggars belief that they would pick him for the World Cup with no match fitness and no proof of his ability to get through a game

What if he breaks down in a QF, Semi etc...during the actual game

I can understand why he is pressing - home World Cups are once in a lifetime, and he's never won a WOrld Cup as skipper - but the selectors need to be strong here

Plus, he's hardly indespensible in the ODI format...whose of Warner, Finch, Watson, Smith, Bailey and Faulkner's place does he take in the top six?

Furthermore, Bailey has lead the team brilliantly

Last edited:

weldone

Yes, Clarke should play and Australia should bat first in the final against India.

Clarke should be happy with his century (like Ponting in 2011 QF) before we chase down the target of 290 by the end of 44 overs.

Swingpanzee

He has broken down in the last three games he has played - in Zimbabe, the ODI in Perth and then in the Adelaide Test...all times during the game

It beggars belief that they would pick him for the World Cup with no match fitness and no proof of his ability to get through a game

What if he breaks down in a QF, Semi etc...during the actual game

I can understand why he is pressing - home World Cups are once in a lifetime, and he's never won a WOrld Cup as skipper - but the selectors need to be strong here

Plus, he's hardly indespensible in the ODI format...whose of Warner, Finch, Watson, Smith, Bailey and Faulkner's place does he take in the top six?

Furthermore, Bailey has lead the team brilliantly
Agree with this. I'd love to see Clarke extend his test career as much as possible, and if that unfortunately means not playing the WC then so be it.

Can't fathom how Clarke is selected and Harris wrapped in cotton wool when it looks like the former is way more likely to break down at this stage.