• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should deflected overthrows off stokes bat have only been 5 runs not 6?

mr_mister

Anyone seen that CCTV footage of Stokes laying the smackdown overlayed with Hussain's audio from that freakish catch in the WC opener. 'You can't do that Ben Stokes!'

Top shelf meme

Lillian Thomson

Looking at the quotes attributed to Dharmasena over this he appears to have a degree of arrogance above and beyond even Darrell Hair.

NotMcKenzie

Dharmasena is in the same vein as Don Weser and Peter Cronin. You know, these shining examples of competence:

Of course, those two never umpired another international match.

Spikey

He hasn't said anything wrong tho
this is dead wrong. mainly:

"It's easy for people to comment after seeing TV replays," Dharmasena told Sri Lankan publication the Sunday Times. "I agree that there was a judgmental error when I see it on TV replays now. But we did not have the luxury of TV replays at the ground and I will never regret the decision I made. Besides, the ICC praised me for the decision I made at that time."
I didn't know the cameras got turned off.

I became aware of the rule around the same time as everyone else, and my conclusion was every time overthrows go to the fence, you have go the 3rd umpire to get the understanding of how many runs should be awarded and who should be on strike, no different to dives on the fence or when a catch is skied and it's unclear if they crossed. simple stuff. Dharmasena (and the other ump) either didn't know the rule, or somehow thinks the 3rd ump is not an option to consult. both are wrong.

zorax

likes this
this is dead wrong. mainly:

I didn't know the cameras got turned off.

I became aware of the rule around the same time as everyone else, and my conclusion was every time overthrows go to the fence, you have go the 3rd umpire to get the understanding of how many runs should be awarded and who should be on strike, no different to dives on the fence or when a catch is skied and it's unclear if they crossed. simple stuff. Dharmasena (and the other ump) either didn't know the rule, or somehow thinks the 3rd ump is not an option to consult. both are wrong.
They aren't allowed to consult with the third umpire in that situation spikey. Simon Taufel said it too.

NotMcKenzie

"There is no provision in the law to refer this to the third umpire as no dismissal was involved," Dharmasena said.
Of course, there is no provision in the law not to either.

Last edited:

Spikey

They aren't allowed to consult with the third umpire in that situation spikey. Simon Taufel said it too.
**** gets referred to the 3rd umpire all the time. how come you check dives on the boundary when there's no dismissal involved?

zorax

likes this
**** gets referred to the 3rd umpire all the time. how come you check dives on the boundary when there's no dismissal involved?
Idk I didn't write the rules. But thats what the professional paid umpires who do this job, and have done this job, have said. I'll take their word for it.

Lillian Thomson

I don't think it's written down anywhere that they couldn't check the replays. it's more a case of it not being in the rules that they can. That'll probably change now.

zorax

likes this
Obsequious to the middle.
Nah. I just think it's dumb to believe that forumers know more about professional umpiring than actual professional umpires. They make mistakes in judgement, but so do all humans. When it comes to the topic of protocol and regulations then obviously they know a lot more, and why would they lie about it? To what benefit?

Spikey

Idk I didn't write the rules. But thats what the professional paid umpires who do this job, and have done this job, have said. I'll take their word for it.
but hang on, they can check the 3rd ump to see if it's a four, and they can check the 3rd to check who should be on strike following a dismissal, but they can't check the 3rd ump to see how many runs should be awarded and who should be on strike?

I'd like the ICC to comment on this, not the ump who ****ed up

Lillian Thomson

I don't care so much that he made a mistake. But he needs to show a bit of humility. Saying he'll never regret the decision and gloating that the ICC praised him for it is ill advised in my opinion.