• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa v Sri Lanka

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: South Africa out of World Cup!

warrioryohannan said:
They couldn't even qualify for the super six!! They were supposed to be one of the favourites :( . I had said long ago that South Africa won't win the cup because of CHOKING FACTOR (this statement of mine didn't go well with some members of this forum). However i never thought that SA won't be able to make it to the super six??
You were dead right, WY - and I take my hat off to you.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: South Africa out of World Cup!

warrioryohannan said:
This statement of mine didn't go well with some members of this forum
If you're going to try putting people down, name them and quote them, don't just state.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SA choked it against Fleming at Joburg and Lara at Cape Town, and they payed the highest possible price, but I guess the whole lot was fair.

I would rather have Duckworth and Lewis, than what we had in '92! They get a load of flack for being complicated, but cricket is a complicated game, and they normally get things right...

warrioryohannan

No Neil , i wasn't trying to put anyone down, just because some people didn't realise that Afrikans are susceptible to pressure doesn't mean that one should now go after them.However i just hope that next time people would be a bit more careful before attacking me

As for names, no point in it, they know it themselves.

Rik

Re: Re: South Africa out of World Cup!

Neil Pickup said:
If you're going to try putting people down, name them and quote them, don't just state.
I was one of them, I genuinely didn't think SA would choke, but I've been proven wrong and I accept that :)

warrioryohannan

Well Rik, i would say that i wish you had be right, and i had be wrong, because without SA the world cup seems to have lost some of its charm (atleast for me:( )

Tim

Well if the 6 teams shape up as Australia, NZ, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Zimbabwe & India...then without being negative to Zim & Kenya, the semi finals kind of pick themselves.

Obviously if Pakistan or England are in place instead of Zimbabwe then things will be different.

Rik

warrioryohannan said:
Well Rik, i would say that i wish you had be right, and i had be wrong, because without SA the world cup seems to have lost some of its charm (atleast for me:( )
Well it's lost one of the best teams in the world and one of the few teams who can challange Australia. Let's hope England get through and have another go then ;)

Gotchya

Rik said:
Well it's lost one of the best teams in the world and one of the few teams who can challange Australia. Let's hope England get through and have another go then ;)

Noooooo!!!!!

krkode

hehe, It'll take a miracle for Pakistan to pull this off, but I've seen them do great things before, and I know they can do it.

I'm just happy India are through and looking good :p

Gotchya

Actually, its not Pakistan...I just dont want see another on the grill on, a slow fire England v Australia ;)

krkode

Maybe they won't play again :p

I personally think Aus, Ind, SL, and NZ will make the semis...

Feel free to disagree :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

warrioryohannan said:
just because some people didn't realise that Afrikans are susceptible to pressure doesn't mean that one should now go after them
Isn't that comment a bit discriminatory and stereotypical?

PY

Does that mean Afrikaans? cos I thought that Klusener was a Afrikaan and never seen him choke before, in fact I think he's one of the best under pressure batsmen in the world. Look at first game, he almost took them to victory. and you might quote the "almost" part but they would have had no chance without him so almost is better than never.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think he means South African as a pose to Afrikaans like Donald, Dippenaar, Boje etc.. I dont think they are necessarily chokers, but they know full well they are second best in the world, and of course were under huge pressure from the SA public, who are a fanatical nation when it comes to sport as a whole. Not quite as fanatical as India, but not far off...

Bazza

I think it all (well mostly) revolves around the whole 99 semi and stuff, where frankly SA stuffed up big time. And they've done it again.

krkode I disagree - Kenya should make the semis at the expense of NZ in my opinion.

"I think in hindsight, Group B should've been called the "Group of death". It consumed the second favourites, SA, the tournament dark horses, WI and propelled a hitherto unheralded Kenya into the SS. Wow!! Talk about shock results!!!"

I dunno. Maybe in hindsight but you can see why it wasn't. WI were underrated, SL were struggling BIG TIME, and NZ had suffered a dodgy series with India, whereas Group A had the mighty Australia, India, Pakistan another power, and England who were looking better and better leading into the tournament. Still we didn't do enough. :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think there's a difference between the choking in 99 and the cock up they made the other night.