• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith: Most Runs in a Series (Post Bradman)?

How many runs will Steve Smith make in the final Test?

• 304 or more - beating Bradman's all time series record

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 169 or more - beating the post Bradman series record

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 159 or more - most runs by a batsman in 4 matches of a series

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 96 or more - most runs in a post Bradman 5 match Ashes series

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Less than 96.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a massive zebra

So in the second innings, Steve Smith needs:

16 runs to pass Alastair Cook for most runs in a post WWII 5 match Ashes series.

59 runs to pass Clive Lloyd for the highest lowest score in a series (min 5 innings).

79 runs to pass Viv Richards for the most runs by a batsman who played 4 matches in a series.

89 runs to pass Mark Taylor for the most runs in a post Bradman Test series.

224 runs to pass Don Bradman for the most runs ever in a Test series.
Steve Smith passes Alastair Cook to break the record for the most runs in a post WWII 5 match Ashes series.

Spark

Global Moderator
So he finishes equal with Gavaskar for runs in a 4-Test series (or at least playing 4 Tests in a series). In away series, most since Taylor in 89 and in 5 Test away series, most since Viv in 70/71. Not bad for a bloke coming in at 2/25 basically every innings.

Only just beat... his own personal record from 2014/15. Fair to say batting was a bit easier in that series all around.

Last edited:

Ulzan69

Banned
Wasn't that a 3 test series? Not sure what the relevance is for 5 innings minimum as Smith will bat 7 innings.

A mirror image of Smiths 751 run series is Everton Weekes who scored 779 runs in 7 innings of a 5 Test series in 1948/49. He also had 6 50+ scores after 6 innings and in his last innings he scored 48.

So Smith currently needs 28 runs to match Weekes almost identical effort and 49 runs to have the highest lowest score in a 5 Test series (min 7 innings)
He missed by 1 run to beat SMG of India

I salute smith in 4 test 7 innings 774 while weeks played 5 tests
Smith only player with 10 innings or 9 in a row with 50 or more his cheater partner Davey only player
Dismissed 8 times in single digit in test series as opener

In Ashes
W.Hammond 905- Taylor 839- etc smith is last in the list

Last edited:

a massive zebra

So he finishes equal with Gavaskar for runs in a 4-Test series (or at least playing 4 Tests in a series). In away series, most since Taylor in 89 and in 5 Test away series, most since Viv in 70/71. Not bad for a bloke coming in at 2/25 basically every innings.

Only just beat... his own personal record from 2014/15. Fair to say batting was a bit easier in that series all around.
Can't be right. Viv made his debut several years after that.

Anil

he did it from 3 1/2 tests and not 4 full tests to be fair, didn't bat in the 2nd innings at lords did he?

the big bambino

In a bowler's series (admittedly largely because the batsmen on both sides were mostly below test standard) Smith's series must be one of the greatest batting performances in cricket.

trundler

Steve Smith's average is like my posting rate. He could get a dozen ducks in a row and still have a legendary average. I could go a week without posting and my posting rate won't drop below 20.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I agree. In that spirit, we propose to ban you for a year just to check if you're going to come back as strong as Steve.

stephen

Bradman: 974 runs, 33.7% of total runs scored by team
Hammond: 904 runs, 24.1% of total runs scored by team
Taylor: 839 runs, 22% of total runs scored by team
Harvey: 834 runs, 27.6% of total runs scored by team
Richards: 829 runs, 25.7% of total runs scored by team
Walcott: 827 runs, 27.5% of total runs scored by team
Sobers: 824 runs, 25.3% of total runs scored by team
Bradman: 810 runs, 29.1% of total runs scored by team
Lara: 798 runs, 28.9% of total runs scored by team
Weekes: 779 runs, 25.2% of total runs scored by team
Smith: 774 runs, 27.9% of total runs scored by team (33% of total runs scored by team in matches he played)
Gavaskar: 774 runs, 28.4% of the total runs scored by team

Make of that what you will. Only Bradman (twice), Lara and Gavaskar have scored the same or more runs at a higher percentage of the team total than Smith in the Ashes. Smith shoots up to second behind Bradman's 974 if you exclude the test he didn't play.

Last edited:

stephen

Lara in SL in 2001 was "only" 688 runs but it was 45% of WI's runs. Dont think that proportion has ever been matched.
I only looked at the ones higher than Smith's. But Lara was ridiculous.

I remember when Lara burst onto the scene over here with his double ton in Sydney. It felt like the West Indies would rule world cricket forever. I mean how could they produce such incredible talent seemingly at will.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What was Cook's in 2010 stephen?

Probably not that high tbf given we piled the runs on