• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith

Spark

Global Moderator
It wasnt in the dressing room tbf, he was mocking leach when they were celebrating on the ground.

And it's totally fine.In fact not only is it fine, it's funny and great and I hope more players do it. PC gone mad I tell you. Highly competitive sportsman takes the piss out of soundly beaten opponent, more at 9.
Oh yeah I wasn't referring to this in particular, just the whole general trend

Daemon

It’s such a non-issue.

Not sure why they had to lie about it though. Clearly haven’t learned from the sticky tape presser.

Burgey

Rogers apparently got a text the same night from TPC. As you say, it hardly matters and frankly the whole English team is worthy of ridicule, but if it was a smother it was a good one.

vcs

I'm humoured about the amount of bloody coverage this crap has gathered, for so many reasons.

a) both Archer and Leach took the P out of Smith before this Test, did they not? Aren't we all allowed to have a bit of fun?
b) they were on the ink after an Ashes series victory. Do we really need to analyse what goes on after a couple of beers?
c) why are cameras in that environment anyway? Winning changing rooms and group celebrations like that should be off limits. Next there'll be an article about how Steve Smith left the toilet seat down at Lord's, got spray on it and didn't wipe it off. I cringe at the amount of intrusiveness from the media nowadays. League (the NRL) is even worse - media agencies send dedicated teams to end-of-season parties in the expressed hope of catching them in the 'act', and even creating an act sometimes if one is not unfolding.
Struggling to get my head around this, have you seen his hand-eye coordination?

Lillian Thomson

This is a non story and most of this bluster is irrelevant. On the wider point about it motivating Smith. I don’t think he needs any motivation beyond it being his turn to bat.

mr_mister

Rogers apparently got a text the same night from TPC. As you say, it hardly matters and frankly the whole English team is worthy of ridicule, but if it was a smother it was a good one.
TPC plans his alibis with the same precision as his batting

quincywagstaff

Dunno about that. Wasn't he flapping around like a goose in the press-conference at Newlands?
I'm humoured about the amount of bloody coverage this crap has gathered, for so many reasons.

a) both Archer and Leach took the P out of Smith before this Test, did they not? Aren't we all allowed to have a bit of fun?
b) they were on the ink after an Ashes series victory. Do we really need to analyse what goes on after a couple of beers?
c) why are cameras in that environment anyway? Winning changing rooms and group celebrations like that should be off limits. Next there'll be an article about how Steve Smith left the toilet seat down at Lord's, got spray on it and didn't wipe it off. I cringe at the amount of intrusiveness from the media nowadays. League (the NRL) is even worse - media agencies send dedicated teams to end-of-season parties in the expressed hope of catching them in the 'act', and even creating an act sometimes if one is not unfolding.
Reminds me a bit of the outrage from sections of the Oz media after England players urinated on the pitch at the end of the 2013 Ashes. Winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

quincywagstaff

Dunno about that. Wasn't he flapping around like a goose in the press-conference at Newlands?
I think the general consensus from the investigation and Lemon's book was that he saw Warner and Bancroft discussing something surreptitiously, said "what are you blokes up to?", then when told of the plan basically went "don't be stupid" and walked off. The implication being that he didn't think they were being serious.
Smith always came across to me as a rather weak leader, not one to impose himself on the team and just lead by his batting feats.

And Lemons book confirmed that. His installation as leader seemed to be rather rushed by Clarke's sudden retirement. If Clarke had retired a year or two later I suspect Warner may have gotten the gig. He seemed a more natural leader and shined when he led the T20 side in 17/18.

John1990

Enjoyed watching him bat. He isn't very likeable, but bats very well. I think he can improve still in test cricket. He could get his average near 70.

SteveNZ

Smith always came across to me as a rather weak leader, not one to impose himself on the team and just lead by his batting feats.

And Lemons book confirmed that. His installation as leader seemed to be rather rushed by Clarke's sudden retirement. If Clarke had retired a year or two later I suspect Warner may have gotten the gig. He seemed a more natural leader and shined when he led the T20 side in 17/18.
It's hard to even imagine how horrific this would have been at Test level. Davey might have been a good T20 leader but that's a whole different beast to Test cricket. We saw in Newlands how he reacted to pressure upon him. He might have semi-matured now but a couple of years ago he would have been a horrendously poor choice and the toxic culture in that side would have been even more dangerous.

SteveNZ

Struggling to get my head around this, have you seen his hand-eye coordination?
I'd imagine he'd face away towards the door and still find the angle and technique to get into the bowl, straight down the middle no rim. With the seat down.

CricAddict

His slip fielding has been very good as well. If Smith was here, he would have added value to Indian team with his slip catching immensely.

GoodAreasShane

I still think Franky Worrall showing off his artistic ability on the pitch next to the one being played on at the time has to be one of the funniest stories ever of that sort

TheJediBrah

I was thinking about that last night, what a good fielder Smith is. He's taken some incredible catches over the years, first in the ring earlier in his career and more lately at slip. But no one really talks about it presumably because it's overshadowed by his batting. He's easily the best catcher (?fielder) in Australia, and you'd be hard pressed to find any better around the world.