• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strange commentary thread.

Lillian Thomson

I think there’s usually a separate thread for when commentators go that extra mile.
Michael Vaughan said on Test Match Special that England might be a batsman light because Jimmy Anderson came into the match carrying the injury so won’t be allowed a runner.

Tom Flint

I like jim Maxwell he sounds like some one I would enjoy watching the game with at the ground or in a bar but on the radio he gets too excited every ball making you think the ball has flown up in the air towards a fielder when nothing has even happened.

harsh.ag

Isa Guha commented yesterday that Smith had carved the ball down to third man when it was actually a thick edge.

TheJediBrah

Thinking literally, what is "carving" if not using the edge? When you carve with a knife you use the "edge"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I swear Glenn McGrath on TMS this evening said that it was odd for a wicket keeper-batsman to be bowling on debut before keeping wicket.

Taking Faulkner to new levels?

quincywagstaff

I just find it strange how McGrath has a seemingly full-time media career considering he has zero personality or the style required for commentary and doesn't have anything interesting to say anyway.

David Gower commentating is a cross between Alan Partridge and people who smoke a lot of marijuana. He’ll have what he believes is a fitting anecdote to be said, however, due to the long winded nature of his tales and possibly age catching up with him he’ll end up forgetting his original point and instead just ramble on incoherently about nothing while he attempts to recall what started him spouting this torturous nonsense, before finishing, exhausted, with “so, back to the cricket”.

Starfighter

Nasser: would you have played Mitch Starc on this surface, and if so who for?

Sanga: I think Mitchell Starc is very important in the length that he bowls, with him you've got [dribble I forgot], you've got the bouncer. Also you've got the left arm variation [even more dribble I forgot].

It's such a simple question, and he didn't come close to answering it.

andmark

Jim Maxwell: "Are you a believer?"

Boycott proceeds to to explain why the Problem of Evil means he's an atheist. Did not expect that today.

Arachnodouche

David Gower commentating is a cross between Alan Partridge and people who smoke a lot of marijuana. He’ll have what he believes is a fitting anecdote to be said, however, due to the long winded nature of his tales and possibly age catching up with him he’ll end up forgetting his original point and instead just ramble on incoherently about nothing while he attempts to recall what started him spouting this torturous nonsense, before finishing, exhausted, with “so, back to the cricket”.
Now if only he had a largish goatee to stroke while he rambled on

andmark

haha this must have been awesome. Wish someone uploads it somewhere.
The bizarre nature of it was funny. Boycott going on about people having horrible diseases was horrible. But then it'd get funny again as Boycott's sad reflections were broken up by Maxwell describing the bowl, you know, just to remind you you're listening to cricket.