• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Slow Love™

I thought this might be useful, 'cause we have a few state elections coming up in the not too distant future and it might be cool to have a thread to dig up should you have the odd observation to make about Aussie politics. The thread we had for the 2004 elections had some pretty good discussions.

Anyhow, to kick things off, I've been watching what's been going on in NSW in recent times, and it got me thinking. How rusted on, or fixed is your vote? Mine in general is fairly fixed - I'm a Labor voter for the most part, and haven't voted Liberal up to now, although it should be said I haven't voted for Labor since '98 either. But looking at NSW, and the incredible incompetence of state Labor under Iemma (as well as his own boorish and idiotic personality), I think I'd be severely tempted to not have my vote particularly advantage Labor at all (as in, I would likely vote for the Greens and preference the Libs over Labor) if I lived there.

Shocking, I know, but it just seems that bad. If I lived in that state, I'd be utterly fed up, and at some stage, unless the alternative is known to be manifestly worse, I think governments like this have earned being outed. Thoughts? I'm particularly interested in anybody who generally votes Labor.

Burpey

NSW state election will be my first chance to vote. Labor will be last, that's certain in my mind right now. I'm leaning towards putting Liberal first as well, wouldn't mind giving them a go after what Carr has done and what Iemma is now doing to us. However, seeing as I live in one of the safest Labor electorates in Australia, it probably won't count for much.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm generally a Howard man as most people around here know, although I think Costello is gun as well. However, statewide politics I'm strictly labor, I hated Kennetts guts and I think Bracks is pretty damn good. In 99 despite Carltons loss, I was over the moon the next day with the upset of the century. Going with him this election. I don't trust Ted Baillieu very much.

I am also slightly concerned with the direction the Liberal Party is heading (y'know the racisim, xenaphobia etc).

Johnners

Voted for the first time in the QLD election this year. Voted Nationals, and will most likely always vote Coalition.

I can't stand Peter Beattie, all talk, does nothing for anywhere BUT Brisbane. QLD Health is a mess, and has been for the past 6/7 years. He's done nothing but talk about Water Issues, and honestly has no idea. Building the Goodwill Bridge, is about the biggest waste of money, as was upgrading Suncorp Stadium, and the current plan to build a bridge to some crappy musuem.

Why wasn't this money spent somewhere it was needed??? Eg. Health, Roads west of Ipswich which are absolutely appalling, Education, The Water Crisis.

Johnners

pasag said:
I'm generally a Howard man as most people around here know, although I think Costello is gun as well.
Agreed!!! Howard & Costello do a top job imo.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

I been a Labor voter since before I was born, so it'd be extremely difficult for me to preference the Liberals ahead of them (though I've got no qualms about not going ALP first), but I too am sorely tempted this time around. The only thing that would stop me attempting to vote Iemma out of office is that I'm pretty sure the opposition would be even worse. He's an absolute scumbag, but there are certainly worse people in NSW politics.

The NSW ALP (at least, the elements of it that have power) has been the worst in the country for a fair while, and that's saying a fair bit when you look at the likes of Bracks. Losing an election might change things, but it probably wouldn't.

Anyway, the way things stand at the moment I'll still go ALP.

howardj

Will be a great contest in the Federal sphere next year. Whatever people think about Beazley, he does have what Opposition leaders need when the public is cheesed off with the incumbent - a safe pair of hands. People perceive him as relatively 'safe'. He doesn't frighten the horses, like Latham.

FaaipDeOiad

The ALP will surely win the next federal election, even with Beazley in charge. I hate the guy and he's just about my last choice to lead the party, but Costello is deeply unpopular and I'd be surprised if Howard ran again. Add to that the long-term incumbent syndrome and it'll be a change of government.

Funny too, given that things are probably going to swing the other way in state elections after an extended period of ALP dominance.

Slow Love™

Funnily enough, I'm fairly sure that on a personal level I'd like Kennett far more than I'd like Bracks. And I'm a little unsatisfied with Labor in Victoria, but not to enough of a degree to contemplate voting for Baillieu. I've actually just moved out of Bailleu's electorate - before that I was in Costello's federally. 8-) So I know how if feels, Burkey.

I should clarify - I haven't voted Labor federally since '98. I've voted Labor consistently for Victoria.

chaminda_00

Doesn't matter who i vote for the Liberals have got one of the safest seats in Australia, biggest waste of time, i just go for the snags.

Slow Love™

howardj said:
Will be a great contest in the Federal sphere next year. Whatever people think about Beazley, he does have what Opposition leaders need when the public is cheesed off with the incumbent - a safe pair of hands. People perceive him as relatively 'safe'. He doesn't frighten the horses, like Latham.
If you start going on about that frightening the horses stuff again, I'm going to kill you in your sleep. :)

I personally think Howard is likely to run again. Even if he doesn't, it's far from a done deal that Labor will win. Personally I can't see Labor making up the ground in real terms, and all the polls are telling us exactly the same thing we've seen in between the last two elections, Mid-term, the Libs are on the nose, but when it comes to the actual vote, things change very fast. Yeah, I know things are a bit different this time around, which is why I think Labor will definitely claw back, instead of the Libs increasing their majority like last time.

Slow Love™

FaaipDeOiad said:
Funny too, given that things are probably going to swing the other way in state elections after an extended period of ALP dominance.
Where do you think that'll happen? In spite of gross incompetence and various scandals, it's still more than likely that the ALP will get returned in NSW. Vic is safe, and I think QLD will be for a little while. I guess I can see WA going - I'm probably not aware enough of the issues in SA.

I guess NT will quite possibly change hands too, when it comes to the territorials.

Slow Love™

Federally, the senate may swing back, although it's hard to predict voter patterns on that one. Might depend on what people think is going to happen in the lower house. Also will depend on what stupid factional deals get made, as well.

masterblaster

Traditionally an ALP voter, and in Victoria I don't think I'll be voting for anyone else. Steve Bracks I feel has done well, hasn't done anything too groundbreaking but hasn't done anything really stupid either. Ted Bailleu doesn't give me the impression of a seasoned leader yet, and quite frankly is a charismatic black hole. Give Ted a few years to gain some experience as opposition leader, cement some of his policies and then see how he goes in another 3-4 years time.

For Melbourne I think ALP and Steve Bracks is most ideal at this stage. NSW on the other hand, I'd be very tempted to vote for the Libs.

Dasa

Although I'd consider myself part of the Left, I've never actually voted Labor. At state level I could consider voting Liberal although I won't be this time. In general, despite criticism, I think Bracks has done a fair job of it in his time in office - certainly better than the Liberals would have in the issues that I care about most.
At federal level, no matter what's going on with Labor I don't know if I could bring myself to vote or preference the Libs.

pasag

RTDAS
ALP won't win the next federal election although it may be close. The Liberals campaign far to well, Iraq may be over and forgotten by then (in the publics eyes) and unless a scandel or two come out or the economy goes down the drain, Howard should comfortably win. Even if Iraq is still going on by then, I don't think it will be a massive factor. The IR reforms didn't ruin Howard at all. He's pretty much untouchable from here although anything can happen between then and now.

In Victoria Labor will win so damn easily. It's a massivley forgone result. Baillieu is throwing around billions, but he looks desperate. Bracks is untouchable, the Liberal party has been in shambles for the past 6 years and I can't see a Liberal win in the next 10 years.

FaaipDeOiad

Slow Love™ said:
Where do you think that'll happen? In spite of gross incompetence and various scandals, it's still more than likely that the ALP will get returned in NSW. Vic is safe, and I think QLD will be for a little while. I guess I can see WA going - I'm probably not aware enough of the issues in SA.

I guess NT will quite possibly change hands too, when it comes to the territorials.
I'm not necessarily expecting many states to change hands, but I do expect that the ALP will lose out somewhat in most of them, excluding Vic perhaps. Fair chance NSW could change hands, but there's always hope.

Dasa

pasag said:
In Victoria Labor will win so damn easily. It's a massivley forgone result. Baillieu is throwing around billions, but he looks desperate. Bracks is untouchable, the Liberal party has been in shambles for the past 6 years and I can't see a Liberal win in the next 10 years.
I don't know about that. I could see a Liberal win in 2010 if (big if) Baillieu is still at the helm.
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not necessarily expecting many states to change hands, but I do expect that the ALP will lose out somewhat in most of them, excluding Vic perhaps. Fair chance NSW could change hands, but there's always hope.
The ALP will definitely lose a few seats this time around...not enough to make a difference, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those Eastern suburbs seats change hands.

FaaipDeOiad

Dasa said:
Although I'd consider myself part of the Left, I've never actually voted Labor. At state level I could consider voting Liberal although I won't be this time. In general, despite criticism, I think Bracks has done a fair job of it in his time in office - certainly better than the Liberals would have in the issues that I care about most.
At federal level, no matter what's going on with Labor I don't know if I could bring myself to vote or preference the Libs.
Despite being an actual party member for a while, I've only voted Labor once myself, which was in the last federal election with Latham in charge. I doubt I'll go ALP first next federal election with Beazley in charge, but I'll always preference them ahead of the Coalition, for obvious reasons.

pasag

RTDAS
FaaipDeOiad said:
How much effect is the Orkopoulos scandal estimated to have on the party btw? Enough to swing an election?