• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Jamee999

Is this British politics or English politics? It's just that the title and the first post contradict each other.

cpr

A friend of mine persuaded me to stay.
Yeah i noticed you deleted that thread, you tight sod, i put time and effort into my post, and i've lost one of my post count, so i've had to post this to make up the numbers. You are soley responsible for this blatent act of spamming. Give him 7 someone

cpr

Oh, and good idea for a thread. Could be fun this, especially with my conservative views.

I look forward to anyone daring to argue with me, a degree in the subject makes me such an arrogant opinionated **** (doesnt make me right, but hell i wont be admitting that one!)

cover drive man

Yeah i noticed you deleted that thread, you tight sod, i put time and effort into my post, and i've lost one of my post count, so i've had to post this to make up the numbers. You are soley responsible for this blatent act of spamming. Give him 7 someone
Sorry. But you're post did help thanks.

stumpski

I don't intend to advertise my own political views on here, but it would be handy to have the thread for observations and comments. A few minutes ago some 'expert' on BBC News 24 said he thought there might be an October general election, as Labour are 10 points ahead in the polls. The Tories have been calling for Brown to call an election virtually ever since he became PM and he might just call their bluff. Interesting ... you heard it here first.

cpr

Yeah, talk of a snap poll has been milling around since Brown came to office. Although he's ahead in polls at the moment, an election would be a tight thing. Although the public see Brown as the start of a new era now, an election campaign would see tories drag up all the Blair mistakes, which Brown was a central part of. Cameron is Conservative leader on the grounds of his public appearance, and an election is what he needs at the moment, his only way to get in the public eye at the moment is to announce new policies, which open him up for criticism, An election would guarantee 6 weeks of easy media.

Brown needs a blitz on the opening of Parliament, then call an election for January. He cant guarantee a win on name alone at the moment, but a quick run of success would give him what he needs. If he leaves it too long then any old Tony problems could come and bite him

gio

A poll today in The Times put Labour 10pts clear of the Tories. I think that represents the ex-Labour voters who are encouraged by the change in leader.

Scaly piscine

A poll today in The Times put Labour 10pts clear of the Tories. I think that represents the ex-Labour voters who are encouraged by the change in leader.
That and how incredibly stupid Britain is.

This bunch got incredibly lucky with the economy (inherited and global economies pretty much ensured things have gone smoothly), sneakily taxed the living snot out of everyone and have failed to improve anything with all that extra money. It's truly embarrassing how people can still vote for them.

People we don't know are incompetent is surely better than people we know are utterly clueless beyond any shadow of a doubt.

cpr

Yeah the tax is annoying, i'm moving abroad as soon as i can afford it.

economy's gonna be fun, especially with the big collapse in American mortgages, got a feeling that could have a knock on with the housing market here, though its hard to tell at this time of year, its always slow in August as everyones away (hence why i can get away with all the posting i was doing today)

gio

Whilst I disagree with a lot of what Labour has done, their investment and commitment towards eliminating third world debt is commendable. They have done more than any previous government concerning this issue, and I hope that future governments can continue their work.

You musn't forget that Labour also reduced homelessness and unemployment, whilst also introducing a minimum wage. Whilst their educational and health service reforms are questionable, I don't think they are as bad as being made out by many media outlets, and I doubt if the Tories would have done much better.