• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm surprised it hasn't popped up more often in the Favourite 20 movies thread.
The absolutely dreadful acting of the Vietnamese kids drags it down a lot. Not that it is strictly their fault. Tarantino as a director believes in minimalism and often only shoots one or two takes. For a lot of veterans these seems to work remarkably well, but for new actors? Woof.

Excellent movie but falls short of ATG IMO.

morgieb

Would probs make my Top 20, with that said there's far too many movies I haven't watched that are considered ATG. Want to try and pump at least some of them before voting closes.

Line and Length

The absolutely dreadful acting of the Vietnamese kids drags it down a lot. Not that it is strictly their fault. Tarantino as a director believes in minimalism and often only shoots one or two takes. For a lot of veterans these seems to work remarkably well, but for new actors? Woof.

Excellent movie but falls short of ATG IMO.
Eastwood produced and directed the movie. Perhaps he was using Tarantino's methodology.

Shady Slim

Would probs make my Top 20, with that said there's far too many movies I haven't watched that are considered ATG. Want to try and pump at least some of them before voting closes.
don't forget to vote in shady slim's top 20 shows thread before voting closes on wednesday tbh:ph34r:

morgieb

don't forget to vote in shady slim's top 20 shows thread before voting closes on wednesday tbh:ph34r:
I don't know what this Top 20 shows thing is :ph34r:

The Top 15 shows OTOH I'll give it another day or so, there's a couple of shows that are kind of thereabouts that I want a better look at. What time Wednesday does it close?

Shady Slim

I don't know what this Top 20 shows thing is :ph34r:

The Top 15 shows OTOH I'll give it another day or so, there's a couple of shows that are kind of thereabouts that I want a better look at. What time Wednesday does it close?
oh yeah i was, uh, testing you, and you have passed, top fifteen it is yeah!

night probably, so you've got time; coming back from radio training at 7ish then i'll have to have dinner and get into it

Arachnodouche

Gran Torino was really good. Gonna rewatch it on the weekend now.
I did a re-watch of this and Harry Brown a couple of weeks ago. Two ageing action legends' movies that were released at around the same time ten years ago. Harry Brown has next to no cheer about it though, but it's a gritty old-fashioned action flick worth a watch (or two).

Went to the drive-in last night. Watched Bloodshot which absolutely sucked (apart from the Megan Fox lookalike), like a mishmash of Robocop, Universal Soldier, and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. Then walked out after enduring the first half-hour of Hunt which is basically a meme-generator in movie form.

grecian

Is Hamilton actually any good
I saw Katherine Ryan's stand up about it, and decided I didn't need to watch it. American history is so flawed, along with ours btw before anyone mentions it, I find it hard to watch these people be lionized.

Last edited:

Bahnz

It really is worth a watch, if only for Jonathan Groff's performance as King George III. The Reynold's affair that Katherine Ryan is so mad about strikes me as an odd choice to cite as evidence of Hamilton's "evil" politics. It seems like she's just mad about Maria Reynold's being portrayed as a duplicitous temptress. And that's fair. But really, the fact that Hamilton cheated on his wife with a vulnerable younger woman - while certainly a poor reflection on his character - hardly outweighs his role in leading a democratic revolution and helping to ban the international slave trade.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

You Should Have Left.

Terrible. I read a review that hinted at elements lifted from Mark Danielewski's House Of Leaves (one of the great post-modern horror novels IMO), but watching this makes me think the screenplay was written by someone who simply heard the barest outline of Danielewski's story over a pint and decided to go and make a typically Hollywood-y movie around it. What's even more dire is that the movie credits a German novella from 2017, so I'm left wondering who ripped off whom.