• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Pakistan Politics thread

trundler

Blasphemy laws aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Imran Khan's government basically claimed the Dutch cartoon competition being cancelled as a diplomatic victory for them. I think international pressure in this particular case is why she was released. Pakistan probably won't ever execute someone per the law because of international pressure but it'll still be used to oppress minorities and settle scores as it always has.

ankitj

It's depressing that Indian state of Punjab also introduced a blasphemy law. This "we support freedom of speech but..." really gets to me.

trundler

**** me this is infuriating. The government agreed to negotiations, put her name on the exit control list and a review petition has been submitted to the Supreme Court.

vcs

The Govt. want her back in prison/on death row? I thought Imran backed the SC verdict.

trundler

Basically the government is spineless against these goons. No cases will be filed against the protests.

The petition will most likely be thrown out as they always are. Putting her on the ECL and succumbing to pressure AGAIN is piss weak and infuriating.

trundler

The government's spokespeople are denying this. According to them, one of the protestors filed a petition and demanded her name be put on the ECL. Fawad Chaudhary, the information minister, has doubled down on the government's previously stem stance.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
The government's spokespeople are denying this. According to them, one of the protestors filed a petition and demanded her name be put on the ECL. Fawad Chaudhary, the information minister, has doubled down on the government's previously stem stance.
That's what I know too. I only heard of the ecl from you. Would be a disaster if she's put on ecl again. Although she might if they accept the review Petition. And the review Petition is not from the govt.

I think the govt should stick to it's guns

trundler

They government absolutely needs to.
The ECL thing was circulating on Twitter and Facebook for a bit. Based on Punjab's information minister saying something on a talk show. Misspoke apparently. ******.

The review petition will most likely be thrown out. Hopefully.

trundler

Well the government did succumb to them in the end. Name placed on the ECL, no legal action will be taken against them and all those jailed will be released.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Well the government did succumb to them in the end. Name placed on the ECL, no legal action will be taken against them and all those jailed will be released.
Yeah,total capitulation in the end. Am furious with imran. He should have stuck to his guns. :@

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Would Nawaz Sharif have dealt with this situation any differently?
Yes, he definitely would have dealt with them differently. Although probably different in a worse sense. At least we saw flashes of a hot headed Imran ready to take on the goons challenging the state. Of course it all fizzled out rather sadly. With Nawaz you would be seeing him.put his head in the sand and hope that the problem goes away.