• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Third placed teams

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The aim of the game generally is to win, not to 'not lose'
Conversely the aim of the group stage is to get through

Maybe they should make it four points for a win in three game group stages. Semi-serious way of addressing your issue

harsh.ag

More than that, the view assumes the intent of the team. A team which "plays to win" might end up with a draw or a loss, and a team "playing not to lose" may end up with a win. The scoreline tells you very little.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Americans have double elimination. You get to lose once and you get into a worse position in the bracket.

Football (unlike the Yank games) has kind of agreed as a sport that draws are an option though so they should be rewarded with something

Lillian Thomson

My only problem with a limited number of third placed teams going through is that it's not a level playing field. Teams that finish their groups first are at a disadvantage in that, not only do they have to wait around for a few days just in case, but also the later teams know what they have to do. They started playing the final group games simultaneously to avoid that situation within a group. The only way they could keep it that way is to play every final match in every group at the same time.

Uppercut

Yeah that's my objection to it too. Although the later groups have much less recovery time before the knockouts.

It's a fudge that I'm basically OK with though. I think this tournament has fully validated the 24-team structure, almost all of the games have been competitive and the group stages have been at least as much fun as in previous Euros. Besides, smaller countries have better fans.

Last edited: