• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Titanium Duck...?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We had a new occurrence today in an U10 game: a run out without facing a ball (ruby duck) from the first ball of the innings (diamond duck).

I know the ruby/diamond terms are different across the world, but I've never come up (or needed to come up) with one for this particular calamity - it wasn't a close-run thing either: I was at square leg and the batsman wasn't even in my field of vision when the keeper took the bails.

I'm going for titanium duck, as there's surely no more ignominious a way you can be dismissed.

Daemon

We call a duck without facing a ball Diamond and a wicket first ball Platinum, no names for this though

andyc

Never heard of a ruby duck tbh. Being run out without facing a ball is a diamond for mine.

Top_Cat

We had a new occurrence today in an U10 game: a run out without facing a ball (ruby duck) from the first ball of the innings (diamond duck).

I know the ruby/diamond terms are different across the world, but I've never come up (or needed to come up) with one for this particular calamity - it wasn't a close-run thing either: I was at square leg and the batsman wasn't even in my field of vision when the keeper took the bails.

I'm going for titanium duck, as there's surely no more ignominious a way you can be dismissed.
Titanium's too awesome a metal for such an application, needs a name which reflects the lameness of the duck (heh).

How about Chromium? After Erin Brockovich, no-one likes Chromium.

Last edited:

hang on

it goes without saying that the duck when on the verge of a landmark innings - last stab at, rather - would be the donald.

Daemon

There should be a term for a duck of 37 balls. Happened recently in a 2-day game we played where the opposition was trying to salvage a draw