• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Totalitarianism gone mad AKA the China thread

Daemon

Wednesday’s shipment was made by Lop County Meixin Hair Product Co. Ltd. In May, a similar detention was placed on Hetian Haolin Hair Accessories Co. Ltd., although those weaves were synthetic, not human, the agency said. Hetian Haolin’s products were imported by Os Hair in Duluth, Georgia, and I & I Hair, headquartered in Dallas. I & I’s weaves are sold under the Innocence brand to salons and individuals around the U.S.

it would presumably be a start if they could prove it was human hair they had seized, never mind Uighur hair

(for the avoidance of doubt: this post is not defending any camps in Xinjiang but it would be nice if the authorities clamping down checked their intel sources a bit)
The May shipment was seized because it was suspected to involve slave labour in the production of the weaves, rather than the product containing actual slave hair.

RossTaylorsBox

Yeah but that's no different to this shipment either. There's no definitive statement from the CBP about the hair being from slaves, just that they were manufactured under forced labour.

RossTaylorsBox

The CBP was clear that they suspect it's made of human hair and suspect that it's made under slave labour - https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nation...shipment-suspected-forced-labor-products-made
Wait, so the weaves are labeled as synthetic or something, because human hair weaves exist and are common.

That it's suspected to be hair from Uighers is AP's own spin.
Yeah exactly, this is the implication of the headline and every article which refers to it.

Bolo.

Human hair is much more expensive than synthetic. If a product is sold as synthetic, it is- no company is selling a product at 10-20% of realisable sale price, much less cheat to do so. CPB doesnt understand this. The company does. Hence the different takes on the issue.

Daemon

Human hair is much more expensive than synthetic. If a product is sold as synthetic, it is- no company is selling a product at 10-20% of realisable sale price, much less cheat to do so. CPB doesnt understand this. The company does. Hence the different takes on the issue.
What? The issue isn't whether it's made of human hair or not, its whether it was produced in labour camps.

It is kinda hypocritical since the US enjoys a multi billion dollar prison labour industry as well, but that's a separate conversation.

Bolo.

What? The issue isn't whether it's made of human hair or not, its whether it was produced in labour camps.

It is kinda hypocritical since the US enjoys a multi billion dollar prison labour industry as well, but that's a separate conversation.
There are two different potential problems being raised in both your own post and others- the labour issue and the hair issue. I am responding to the later because it is easy to add new info on it. Im ignoring the former because there is nothing I can add- 'authorities have reason to suspect goods were made with forced labour' is all anyone knows.

It is hypocritical of the US to seize the goods, but it is not hypocritical for 3rd parties to criticize practices- what the US does has little meaning in the context of this board.

Daemon

It is hypocritical of the US to seize the goods, but it is not hypocritical for 3rd parties to criticize practices- what the US does has little meaning in the context of this board.
Which 3rd party is criticizing practices?

There are two different potential problems being raised in both your own post and others- the labour issue and the hair issue. I am responding to the later because it is easy to add new info on it. Im ignoring the former because there is nothing I can add- 'authorities have reason to suspect goods were made with forced labour' is all anyone knows.
Right, I think I misread your earlier post.

I understand why you say there's no incentive for the company to label organic products as synthetic, but I disagree that the CPB doesn't understand that, because even if they did, it's not their job to care. They need to know exactly what the product is because of a vast number of reasons including HS Codes, duties and health and safety regulations.

Line and Length

I find Clause 10 of China's sweeping new national security law for Hong Kong to be rather alarming:

"The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall carry out national security education through schools, social organisations, the media and the Internet etc to develop national security education, to raise the national security awareness and law-abiding awareness of the residents."

It is the school aspect that alarms me.

Line and Length

Would you want your child or grandchild doing this as part of their "education"?

There are aspects of China, their government and their culture that I can appreciate - even admire. As a retired educator, this isn't one of them.

Lokomotiv

I find Clause 10 of China's sweeping new national security law for Hong Kong to be rather alarming:

"The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall carry out national security education through schools, social organisations, the media and the Internet etc to develop national security education, to raise the national security awareness and law-abiding awareness of the residents."

It is the school aspect that alarms me.
If you are a former educator (what subject?), you should know the history of British colonialism. China has the legitimate right to defend its unalianable part Hong Kong against any kind of imperialist provocation. Defence of the independence and unity of the Chinese nation, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, is the precondition for history education.

And you must understand the fact that the overwhelming majority of the Chinese nation support this new law.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
If you are a former educator (what subject?), you should know the history of British colonialism. China has the legitimate right to defend its unalianable part Hong Kong against any kind of imperialist provocation. Defence of the independence and unity of the Chinese nation, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, is the precondition for history education.
the only imperialist here is you, and the colonialist ethnostate you slavishly, pitifully adore.

DriveClub

Lol didn't realize lokomotive is a CCP bot, who knew CCP reads cricketweb. Rip zorax, he already might have been tracked down

Burgey

Little fella was posting to the Gram this arvo about cricket, which has restarted in HK (because things must be very very bad there).

Burgey

Update: added to his story an hour ago.

You blokes must have pissed him off properly in that idiotic game you all play. Everything is going to **** in his home town and he still hasn’t come back here.

Thank you all.

Lokomotiv

You must understand this:

The one thing that is terribly misunderstood, and often ignored, by the western press and those critical of China is that 1.4 billion Chinese citizens stand united when it comes to the territorial integrity of China and the country’s sovereignty over her homeland. This issue is non-negotiable.
A bit of historical perspective is important. In the mid-19thcentury, China fought two Opium Wars with the British, aided by the French, who forced through illegal trade of opium to China. A very weak Qing Dynasty government lost the wars and the result was the ceding of Hong Kong to the British as a colony.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.tsai.3781/posts/2653378931391524