• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Dayle Hadlee was by all accounts every bit as exciting a prospect as RJ back in the late 60's and early 70's before his back injuries curtailed his career.

Motz always struck me as a rich man's Hamish Bennett. Big, strong, quick without being genuinely fast and with a back made out of tinsel foil.

Moss

Good interview with Raval today, really opened up there about his struggles on the mental side of things:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29359196/started-tense-thinking-way-too-much-froze

Seems to have collected his thoughts well and you hope he gets back to enjoying the game. Hard to see him forcing his way back considering the lack of test cricket in general and NZ's policy of giving incumbents an extended run. But can be satisfied about playing his part in NZ continuing to be a consistent test side after McCullum's retirement. As an adopted Ahmedabadi (my wife's from there) I'd be happy to see him turn things around.

Starfighter

1969 at 0.29

A long time ago there used to be highlights from the 1973 series which had rather a lot of him. Haven't seem them for at least five or six years though.
BTW I was wrong, the one at 0.29 in the 1969 video is Motz, Taylor is the next one at 0.48, the Dayle Hadlee.

Certainly doesn't look like a 'hit the deck' type to me.

Last edited:

Moss

Were tests vs Aus ever really on the table? With details of home tests vs Afghanistan and of course India already released didn’t seem like there would be any room in the Australian calendar. But yeah under noted lover of 5-day cricket David White, a home season of more than 4 tests id a bonus really.

The Hutt Rec

I don't see how any of it is even going to happen in the current climate. Teams won't want to do two weeks quarantine before their tour starts ...

SteveNZ

I don't see how any of it is even going to happen in the current climate. Teams won't want to do two weeks quarantine before their tour starts ...
I reckon they will. The alternative is to not quarantine and not play, and probably not get paid. Tours are long enough that it doesn't matter too much, you just lose a warm-up game or maybe 2.

The Hutt Rec

I reckon they will. The alternative is to not quarantine and not play, and probably not get paid. Tours are long enough that it doesn't matter too much, you just lose a warm-up game or maybe 2.
With the Bangladesh tour being limited overs only, they'll spend much longer in quarantine than they will playing.

Assume some arrangement will be in place with Australia by then, so their limited overs only should be ok.

Pakistan obviously big concerns at the moment as well from an infected player point of view.

So I'm sure something will happen, but the plan NZC have in place atm does seem a bit optimistic to me ...

_Ed_

I do still have some real concerns about the Women's World Cup. Fingers crossed they can make it work.

Bahnz

One of the benefits of cricket being wrenched out of the grasp of Sky is that the NZC is now evidently free to put highlights from old series up on Youtube. They've started this morning with the session by session highlights of the 2018 series v WI. It's quite amusing to hear that the old Sky background music has been scrubbed out of the audio leaving lots of weird noise variance.

Last edited:

kaetor

It's... Awful. I can't stand listening to it.

No scorecard too makes it hard to follow. Classic NZC being useless. Can they not just hire an intern to go through footage against the cricinfo commentary and re-upload a nicely compiled video?

edit: actually only a few bits of the video are bad. I just had some weird bits of Scott Styris's audio levels all over the place and complained :laugh:

Last edited:

Bahnz

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...nt-who-would-have-won-new-zealand-a-world-cup

I've often wondered myself if we might've won at Lords if we'd had Jesse's batting and medium pacers to call on. He's definitely the sort of player you'd love to call on for a Super Over. Having said that, Jesse would've been 35 for the 2019 final, and I can't help but think that even if he hadn't spent his entire career taking the piss, he would've probably have been past his best by that point.

Mike5181

It says a lot that CD didn't offer him a contract, and no one else approached him, when he was averaging 70 odd in the Plunket Shield. He must have been a nightmare to work with.

TheJediBrah

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...nt-who-would-have-won-new-zealand-a-world-cup

I've often wondered myself if we might've won at Lords if we'd had Jesse's batting and medium pacers to call on. He's definitely the sort of player you'd love to call on for a Super Over. Having said that, Jesse would've been 35 for the 2019 final, and I can't help but think that even if he hadn't spent his entire career taking the piss, he would've probably have been past his best by that point.
All he would have had to do was scare the umps into making the right decisions and you would have won

Moss

Glad to see Osman giving that 83 in the 2011 Quarterfinal vs South Africa its due, was a very vital and responsible knock every bit as good as Taylor and Williamson's efforts in the 2019 semifinal.