• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Fuller Pilch

Although had Ryder played in 2015 he would've opened, McCullum would've batted 5, Elliot would've watched the tournament on TV, and we would've lost to South Africa in the semi.

The Hutt Rec

He'd have presumably opened in 2019 with Guptill, and who knows how we'd have gone without Nicholls' 50 in the final. Wouldn't have minded Ryder on strike for the last ball of the super over though ...

Moss

2019 Ryder would have been more Munro-like and about as effective opening in that tournament I reckon. If he was in the frame surely he would have been competing with Neesham and CdG for the allrounder spots? Either way, what a waste.

The Hutt Rec

2019 Ryder would have been more Munro-like and about as effective opening in that tournament I reckon. If he was in the frame surely he would have been competing with Neesham and CdG for the allrounder spots? Either way, what a waste.
At the age of 35 he'd have been really plodding them down .. can't imagine him being in Neesham or CDG's league as a bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
spark sport seem to have a lot of old highlights on demand. a good mix of classics like the 2005 ashes and a pile of random games. i like this new era of competitiveness.

Flem274*

123/5
it reminded me what an atvg bowler cairns was in his own right. he was hostile, he could swing it, he had the bag of tricks - if fitness were kinder and we played more tests his career statistics would reflect the statistics zinzan enjoys posting.

i used to rank trenty ahead of him but nah, cairns could do everything boult does but also more. wagner's ferocity and change ups with trenty's classical movement.

Bahnz

It's good to see Spark are moving more old matches online. The highlights from the 2008 England ODI series are now up. Will never get tired of seeing Vettori screaming "TAKE THAT YOU CHEATING ****S!" at the English balcony at the end of the 4th ODI.

SteveNZ

it reminded me what an atvg bowler cairns was in his own right. he was hostile, he could swing it, he had the bag of tricks - if fitness were kinder and we played more tests his career statistics would reflect the statistics zinzan enjoys posting.

i used to rank trenty ahead of him but nah, cairns could do everything boult does but also more. wagner's ferocity and change ups with trenty's classical movement.
I'd have Boult every day of the week. Teams Cairns averaged less than 30 versus: Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. Boult: Bangladesh, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe. To me it's not really close. Cairns could bowl no doubt, but he had a chip on his shoulder for most of his life and as much as fitness might've played a part, so did his attitude. And I'd still argue Boult had more skills in terms of swinging it etc.

The Hutt Rec

I definitely don’t remember Cairns swinging the ball much, if at all. That 1999 series with an out of control duke might have been an exception. I’d definitely go for Boult as well.

SteveNZ

It's good to see Spark are moving more old matches online. The highlights from the 2008 England ODI series are now up. Will never get tired of seeing Vettori screaming "TAKE THAT YOU CHEATING ****S!" at the English balcony at the end of the 4th ODI.
Amazing memory of that game. I watched it through the night, was tired and emotional by the end and gave out my own **** you's out loud as well. Iced by the king, Kyle Mills himself

SteveNZ

I definitely don’t remember Cairns swinging the ball much, if at all. That 1999 series with an out of control duke might have been an exception. I’d definitely go for Boult as well.
Yeah me neither. More an into the deck seamer. Did have the ability to move it enough on his day but not prodigiously like Boult can.

Moss

I think that period of 1-2 years may have been an outlier (w.r.t Cairns swinging the ball i.e) ? 1999 was a breakout year for Cairns bowling-wise, he never reached that level again (didn’t stay on the park often enough in the first place, from 2000 onwards). Was swinging it in the series in England, and even reverse swinging it in the India series later that year. Anecdote from Tendulkar here:

https://youtu.be/YrSifghslg0

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

bro Cairns was a decent bowler but come the *** on. ATG? Better than Boult? I'll have some of whatever you're smoking

Bahnz

bro Cairns was a decent bowler but come the *** on. ATG? Better than Boult? I'll have some of whatever you're smoking
ATVG - All time very good (usually applied to guys like James Anderson). Not a term I'd apply to Cairns, but not as ridiculous a claim.

Cairns was an excellent bowler from 1998-2002, but even then I doubt he would've been in the top 10 in the world. Marvellous all-rounder, and he would've played for NZ even if he'd averaged single figures with the bat, but not an atvg.

Fuller Pilch

Just checked the historical rankings. His highest test ranking as a bowler was 7th (achieved on 08 Jan 2002). He was a very good but not great bowler. His ODI bowling was pretty mediocre though - a lot like Tim Southee.

Flem274*

123/5
will elaborate when im home. will also point out for those who can't read (the lil aussie) the original point was 'injury prevented cairns from being an atvg'

Flem274*

123/5
he'd easily be a top 10 quick during his peak as well. mcgrath, pollock, donald, young gillespie, shoaib...starting to run out of names.