• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan on Strauss/Dhoni

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BBC Sport - Geoff Miller defends England captain Andrew Strauss

"Speaking in the Daily Telegraph, Vaughan added: "Strauss likes to make the game safe before he attacks, but he has created a unit that plays for each other and that is why you feel they can go on and be the number one team in the world."

"[India captain] Mahendra Dhoni has been exceptional. He is a positive cricketer and he thrives on the leadership qualities he has as a captain. He is quite an aggressive captain."

Vaughan slowly losing his grip on reality...

Bun

Banned
if dhoni weren't aggressive we wouldnt be world champions in both formats.

people microanalysing forget the bigger picture. we win what matters at the end.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's three formats.

And that's nonsense. If Dhoni was more aggressive then its quite feasible you'd be able to keep your number one ranking after your pasting from us. As it is though, enjoy your final weeks on top.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
if dhoni weren't aggressive we wouldnt be world champions in both formats..
Aggressive doesn't always equate to good, though. There's no doubt Dhoni is on the defensive side as a captain, but sometimes that's what's needed. The fact that it works doesn't mean it's aggressive.

Bun

Banned
There's three formats.

And that's nonsense. If Dhoni was more aggressive then its quite feasible you'd be able to keep your number one ranking after your pasting from us. As it is though, enjoy your final weeks on top.
we stopped caring abt the third format internationally ever since how easily we won it in 07 with a bunch of youngsters that we chucked it to domestic club cricket where it belongs :ph34r: some teams might've this non chalance to finally get their hands on a trophy issued by the icc though :ph34r: and derive some pleasure in being world champions in that

as to the second para, :laugh: how's the weather down there mate?

Bun

Banned
Aggressive doesn't always equate to good, though. There's no doubt Dhoni is on the defensive side as a captain, but sometimes that's what's needed. The fact that it works doesn't mean it's aggressive.
being aggressive in my books means doing what's necessary to reach the top and stay there.

dhoni.s doing that comfortable without resorting to playing to the galleries kinda captaincy. he is doing his job perfectly afaic.

MW1304

Just don't bother saying anything that may be construed as remotely negative towards anything Indian, it will never get through.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bun, the weather's **** but we will be taking your number one ranking. Trust me.

Bun

Banned
Bun, the weather's **** but we will be taking your number one ranking. Trust me.
hang on there's just the one t20 right?? :ph34r: might get rained off in anycase as well... and don't really remember whether we were no.1 in that. stopped really caring abt it after 07 (frankly!)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
only man to hold the ultimate trophies in all formats ever...
in just 3.5 years..
if that ain't been aggressive, guess yeah my dictionary needs a change
Yeah, your dictionary does need to change.

Aggressive does not mean successful, or good, or effective. When talking about captaincy, it's a comment on style rather than quality.

Cevno

Dhoni's defensive captaincy works pretty well in ODI's tbf with Indian bowlers firstly looking to contain rather than take wickets.

In tests i personally feel he can certainly be a little more aggressive, but i guess you could say it has worked well there too, for him till now with no series losses at all and with the bowlers he has and the conditions.

The last 2 tests of the West Indies series were strange in this regard though as in the 2nd test he went in with a bold declaration and almost forced a result except for rain and gave West Indies a bait to go for, but when there was a chance in the 3rd test to take somewhat of a risk to force a result he decided to play safe.

Bun

Banned
Yeah, your dictionary does need to change.

Aggressive does not mean successful, or good, or effective. When talking about captaincy, it's a comment on style rather than quality.
mate, I do understand where u coming from.... but seriously I cannot agree with this micro definition of aggressiveness... just because you tend to place 4 slips and a gully you shouldn't qualify to become an aggressive captain... for me an aggressive captain is one who utilises resources at his availability to optimum to derive best results for his team....

not to place a deep sq leg and a midwicket on a flattish pitch to a hardhitting batsman against a spinner isn't being aggressive, but being foolish only. not my thoughts, but validated by likes of warne, murali and harby.

I don't rate vaughan much, he's proved to be a cheerleader kind for me over the years, but in terms of achievements dhoni's up there with the most aggressive kinds in history of the game.

when you gotta play safe, you gotta play safe. when you need to bide your time, you really need to.

zaremba

only man to hold the ultimate trophies in all formats ever...
in just 3.5 years..
if that ain't been aggressive, guess yeah my dictionary needs a change
:laugh: at the unintended irony

If aggression and achievement are synonymous then Shahid Afridi averages 99.95 in Tests