• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WANTED: One English wicket-keeper

aussie

Harmison should get the new ball because it's when his style of bowling is most effective. He preys on awkward bounce and pace.

With the new-ball you need consistency, since the WI/NZ test in mid 2004 Harmison hasn't showed that but for the odd game i.e Lords 2005. Hoggard/Flintoff combination is better since Hoggard would exploit any movement & Flintoff would be perfect back-up.
Say what? I couldn't disagree more.
I'm not talking about older ball 20 over plus or at the stage where reverse-swing would be around, a first change bowler would be on at least by 10-15 overs. Look at how he bowled in Melbourne coming on first change & since then it hasn't been that bad at all and for ODI's his best bowling figures & series was coming on first change. I see no reason why he can't be equally effective as a first change bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

With the new-ball you need consistency, since the WI/NZ test in mid 2004 Harmison hasn't showed that but for the odd game i.e Lords 2005. Hoggard/Flintoff combination is better since Hoggard would exploit any movement & Flintoff would be perfect back-up.
Sorry, but remind me when Harmison has shown consistency at all since that series?
I'm not talking about older ball 20 over plus or at the stage where reverse-swing would be around, a first change bowler would be on at least by 10-15 overs. Look at how he bowled in Melbourne coming on first change & since then it hasn't been that bad at all and for ODI's his best bowling figures & series was coming on first change. I see no reason why he can't be equally effective as a first change bowler.
10-15 overs is still quite a new ball.

wpdavid

Gradually Harmo has got his mojo back in this series, won't drop him just like that. People keep saying that Harmo is the spearhead & he should get the new ball. AFAIC he isn't the spearhead, Flintoff is England best bowler thus the spearhead & Harmo is better with the older ball in both forms of the game thats why i'm disappointed he retired from ODI's.
Just like that? He's been dire for most of the last 2 years ffs. Apparently we now have a situation where he should be picked because he can put the old ball in the right places reasonably consistently. On a good day, anyway.
Reality is that he produces one good innings a year. Lords 1 in 2005 and Old Trafford 1 in 2006. And that's it. All this guff about him being a matchwinner is pure fantasy 90% of the time, and I really do not understand why so many people still consider him a fixture in the side after everything we've seen from him since Dec 2004. Time to move on wth someone who actually wants to be there, imho. Let the miserable sod spend his time in Ashington working men's club.

GotSpin

This might be a little left field but I would like stick my hand up for such a position.

PhoenixFire

What's the deal with Joyce?? He can't play bowling that's above 90mph, as has been proved on the county circuit. Get Rob Key or Owais Shah as the 12th man or extra batsman, Key is a really great player of quick bowling, Joyce just isn't.

PhoenixFire

Terrible idea IMO. He isnt that good a player, he isnt that that nice a guy and isnt that popular.
He's a damn sight better than Ed Joyce, can't believe he'd have lasted more than 5 minutes against McGrath, Clark, Warne and Lee.

What's wrong with his personality anyway?

Goughy

He's a damn sight better than Ed Joyce, can't believe he'd have lasted more than 5 minutes against McGrath, Clark, Warne and Lee.

What's wrong with his personality anyway?
I dont want to go into stuff in the forum. Get me on MSN and Ill let you know

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh go on, we need some light relief.
Hmmm, I'd be guessing that stuff like what Goughy would know may not be the stuff you could print out in the open with libel and all that stuff. A few Australian based forums have gotten into a bit of strife like that.

TT Boy

I believe Goughy knocked old fat boy’s off stump back once and Robert wasn’t best pleased, or am I dreaming or is there more?

Gloucefan

I reckon give Colly the gloves, he's a great fielder anyway, how much harder can keeping wicket be?

Collingwood without gloves = great, collingwood with gloves = even better.

The solution.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally, I'd keep Read. You've got someone who is arguably the best in the world at their art.
I'd do the same - but only if he bats 8, so we either need another all rounder (Rikki?!) or Fred to be fit enough to be part of a 4 man attack.