• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SillyCowCorner1

The ODI where Mathews and Malinga strung together a partnership in Australia to take down a chase...also Mahmudulllah-Shafiul partnership of 58 in the 2011 WC

artvandalay

I preferred the 434 game myself. This wasn't a high quality game as such even though it had the drama. No one has chased 400 since despite how much white ball cricket has changed.

Xuhaib

It's been a week and I have had time to reflect I think 99 semi was better as a game. This was like a gritty slow novel that build to a great edge of the seat climax.

But 99 SF was more like a great thriller with hair raising moments though the game. There were great performances throughout Pollack and Doanld sharing 9 wickets between them with some great new and old ball bowling. An all time great spell by Shane Warne, Kallis repair job and then the crazy finish with Klusner till the ultimate choke of the chokes just great stuff all through the game

Bolo

It's been a week and I have had time to reflect I think 99 semi was better as a game. This was like a gritty slow novel that build to a great edge of the seat climax.

But 99 SF was more like a great thriller with hair raising moments though the game. There were great performances throughout Pollack and Doanld sharing 9 wickets between them with some great new and old ball bowling. An all time great spell by Shane Warne, Kallis repair job and then the crazy finish with Klusner till the ultimate choke of the chokes just great stuff all through the game
This makes sense. 99 was so long ago that I think most of us mainly remember it because of how good the finish was. Felt like it would never be topped. This game has it beat comfortably though in that regard.

But it's not just about the finish. That game was pretty monumental all the way through. Not that this one was dull... just not quite as good, at least for the first innings.

DriveClub

This final lacked the individual brilliance from the 99 semi. Memorable performances from Pollock, Donald, Warne, Kallis, Waugh, Bevan, Rhodes, Klusener etc.

ankitj

I don't think it was the greatest ODI ever. It of course was full of thrills but (1) skills at display were not at the level of Aus vs. SA 99 semi final, (2) overthrow, super over and most boundaries were a let down.

I think even the 434 v 438 was a greater game than this one.

Burgey

I don't think it was the greatest ODI ever. It of course was full of thrills but (1) skills at display were not at the level of Aus vs. SA 99 semi final, (2) overthrow, super over and most boundaries were a let down.

I think even the 434 v 438 was a greater game than this one.
No! This is terrible. The 438 game was a JAMODI. This was a WC final. I'd rate it over the semi final in 99 (just). Probably not quite the same level of ATG players involved, but still it was the biggest game of all, and then you had not only the match tied, but the super over as well! It was set up for the ultimate finish, but of course the ICC had to go and **** us all over by not thinking there might be a need for more than one super over ffs.

Flem274*

123/5
you're all on drugs if you don't think this game was better than 99

you're all wanking on about quality play. how about that tight collar from the south africans gifting the game?

this odi was the epitome of the two best teams in the world going hammer and tongs at each other at almost full tilt. guptills form and englands opening spell being a tad short aside, i don't think anyone let their team down in this game.

Xuhaib

you're all on drugs if you don't think this game was better than 99

you're all wanking on about quality play. how about that tight collar from the south africans gifting the game?

this odi was the epitome of the two best teams in the world going hammer and tongs at each other at almost full tilt. guptills form and englands opening spell being a tad short aside, i don't think anyone let their team down in this game.
haha...no.

I just re watched the extended highlights of 99 game and as a neutral it pips the last week Final for me.The NZ innings was quite boring to be honest and especially for last 10 overs the cricket was diabolical at times guys getting bowled of full tosses batsman ducking last ball of the innings some of the cricket was really terrible and you really wondered maybe this a sub standard wicket

On the other hand 99 SF first innings is really compelling viewing with some quality bowling (Pollock & Donald) and great recovery partnership Bevan-Waugh. And the ten over period when Warne turned the game on its head is far away better then what the final served in the first 95 overs off the game.

Flem274*

123/5
yea look i cbf to go to war against nostalgia. this is no different to the **** posted about the 80s and 90s elsewhere.

stephen

This final was better IMO. Both sides were unrelenting and unwilling to give an inch. It was a lit fuse that you could see slowly moving towards the explosive.

The 99 final had the greater moments of individual brilliance and sea sawed more dramatically. It was a boxing match where both sides were landing heavy punches but refusing to get knocked out. Blood pouring from both players, jaws broken, the judges ultimately couldn't split the teams.

But this was a final and that was a semi final. This was more of a team effort and that was more of a gladiatorial effort. They were different games that both highlight what the ODI game can be, at its best.

Burgey

This final was better IMO. Both sides were unrelenting and unwilling to give an inch. It was a lit fuse that you could see slowly moving towards the explosive.

The 99 final had the greater moments of individual brilliance and sea sawed more dramatically. It was a boxing match where both sides were landing heavy punches but refusing to get knocked out. Blood pouring from both players, jaws broken, the judges ultimately couldn't split the teams.

But this was a final and that was a semi final. This was more of a team effort and that was more of a gladiatorial effort. They were different games that both highlight what the ODI game can be, at its best.
Mate, I like a sporting cliche as much as anyone, but this is next level stuff.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I mean, when I think back on notable ODIs, the ones that come to mind are this, the 2015 semi vs SA, and the one where Bevan hit a 4 off the last ball.

ODIs, when excellent, still get easily lost because there's so many that don't mean anything.\

Edit: and the 400 game vs SA

Last edited: