• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will win the World Cup

Who Will Win the World Cup

• Poland (Group A)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costa Rica (Group A)

• Ecuador (Group A)

• Paraguay (Group B)

• Trinidad & Tobago (Group B)

• Ivory Coast (Group C)

• Serbia & Montenegro (Group C)

• Iran (Group D)

• Angola (Group D)

• Portugal (Group D)

• Ghana (Group E)

• Croatia (Group F)

• Japan (Group F)

• France (Group G)

• Switzerland (Group G)

• Korea Republic (Group G)

• Togo (Group G)

• Spain (Group H)

• Ukraine (Group H)

• Tunisia (Group H)

• Saudia Arabia (Group H)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Great Birtannia

broncoman said:
imo anyone whos played FM would know the chance of that happening like that twice in a row is pretty lo...
Australia always go deep into the WC on my games. I've seen them make the final twice.

Simon

WCC Staff
Great Birtannia said:
Australia always go deep into the WC on my games. I've seen them make the final twice.
i won the 2018 WC with Australia on CM 01/02, it was a proud moment when we got the 90th minute penalty to beat Holland 2-1.

JASON

I would love to say England, but unless England lift their game , I can't see it happening, from what I have seen so far of England. I expect England Sweden game to be a scoreless draw , the way the 2 teams have played so far.

From watching the World Cup so far , the Team likely to win the World Cup IMO will be Argentina . They have set the Benchmark with the brilliant game last night against Serbia and Montenegro.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
One final thought on this:

Back in 1966, England started that World Cup campaign slowly, and were really lucky to scrape a 0-0 draw against Uruguay. The other group games were 'OK' and frankly we were played off the park by a superb Argentina side in the quarter final until Antonio Rattin was sent off.

It was a disgraceful decision worthy of any referee bought out by Juventus in more recent times (Paraphrased: "Give everything you see and some you don't"). We scraped past Portugal in the semis (Eusebio was utterly wonderful) and needed the help of a Russian linesman in the final, although we were the better team and had the best player on the field (Bobby Moore - despite Hurst's hat-trick).

What I'm saying is that, if you get through the groups and the gods are favourable, anyone - ANYONE (even Australia) - can win the big prize (although I'm still fancying Brazil)

Blaze

Banned
So funny how everything seems to relate back to England...

Still pretty happy with my Czech prediction.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
So funny how everything seems to relate back to England...

Still pretty happy with my Czech prediction.
Sorry, not quite sure what you are getting at.

I'm English, so consequently I'm going to use them as my frame of reference, yet that's probably the only post I've made about them today (spoken about Italy, Mexico, Angola - and even in the one above I spoke about how everyone who gets through is in with a chance), yet of course I've tipped Brazil and suggested that Argentina are the best side I've seen this year.

I never mentioned Styris or sheep, so why did you chip in?

;)

aussie

Still have great hope England can win it, but right now Argentina are favourites along with Brazil they may have started slowly but they can lift their game.

Simon

WCC Staff
Argentina are the most impressive team so far, but the team playing the best footy at this stage of the tournament doesnt always win the World Cup...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
Still have great hope England can win it, but right now Argentina are favourites along with Brazil they may have started slowly but they can lift their game.
Can someone tell me why some people are suggesting that Brazil and Italy have 'started slowly' yet England and Portugal are crap?

(This is probably more a dig at social's natural Australian 'patriotism' than yours, but as one who has 'seen the Australian point of view' on matters in the past, perhaps you can translate now some unlikely sources have suddenly become experts on football)

aussie

ha, can't really help you Ed, one propable reason is that maybe they seen european leagues & actually know more than we think?, i dunno...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
luckyeddie said:
Can someone tell me why some people are suggesting that Brazil and Italy have 'started slowly' yet England and Portugal are crap?

(This is probably more a dig at social's natural Australian 'patriotism' than yours, but as one who has 'seen the Australian point of view' on matters in the past, perhaps you can translate now some unlikely sources have suddenly become experts on football)
Eddie, I was just discussing that with my boss. It's because it's cool to slag England off, and just as cool to love Brazil. Simple fact is, Brazil have started just as bad as us, but the thing is, they've been lucky to win their games, whereas however poor we were, we still deserved the points.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Eddie, I was just discussing that with my boss. It's because it's cool to slag England off, and just as cool to love Brazil. Simple fact is, Brazil have started just as bad as us, but the thing is, they've been lucky to win their games, whereas however poor we were, we still deserved the points.
If we were all like a certain north-easterner, I'd expect the kind of nonsense some like to ram down our throats time after time, especially from our upside-down brethren.

However, when it comes to arrogance, despite the fact that Cecil Rhodes said "Remember only this, that you are British, and in the lottery of life you have won first prize", some are more like us than we ever were.

Pedro Delgado

luckyeddie said:
If we were all like a certain north-easterner, I'd expect the kind of nonsense some like to ram down our throats time after time, especially from our upside-down brethren.

However, when it comes to arrogance, despite the fact that Cecil Rhodes said "Remember only this, that you are British, and in the lottery of life you have won first prize", some are more like us than we ever were.
Yes, the irony is a lot of the vitriol that is spouted forth about us sounds just as bigoted and pathetic as the element it's supposedly aimed at.

FaaipDeOiad

Interesting that nobody tipped Spain. If I had my vote over again, I'd go with them. Just a hunch.

Incidentally, might be interesting to do another poll like this after the group stage, and see who the new favourite is.

Simon

WCC Staff
im still none the wiser as to who will win, Argentina are favourites with some bookies now, but i dunno, i have a big feeling on germany...