• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2023

White Ball

Having lost yesterday as a white ball fan my mind is already on the next World Cup obviously is will be sad from an Indian point of view to be without Dhoni! Kohli and Rohit should have one or two more cups in them! What would you like to see in the next tournament?

weldone

Too early but here is what my early wish is:

1. Prithvi Shaw
2. Rohit Sharma*
3. Virat Kohli
4. Shubman Gill
5. Rishabh Pant+
6. Hardik Pandya
7. Ravi Jadeja
8. Kamlesh Nagarkoti
9. Shivam Mavi
10. Kuldeep Yadav
11. Jasprit Bumrah

Flem274*

123/5
39 year old ross taylor scoring a clutch 150* in the final while refusing to run, walk at a fast pace or move from first slip

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At the moment I couldnt confidently name a single player who will be in his 20s when the World Cup starts.

I guess Smith Carey Cummins are the most likely certainties but even Cummins is perhaps a smidgeon overrated in ODIs. I cant see both Warner and Finch being there, but maybe one will.

I started another thread and these are some of the names to keep an eye out for. Of course Turner and Stanlake are more known.

Josh Philippe
Ashton Turner
Will Sutherland
Cameron Green
Riley Meredith
Matthew Kelly
Billy Stanlake

Marcus Harris is also a chance. His overall record in List A matches is nothing flash, but he has the tools and will be 30 in 2023. He will need to get opportunities for Vic though which can be tough for a potential Test player.

Random 2023 team..

1 Marcus Harris
2 Aaron Finch
3 Steve Smith
4 Josh Philippe
5 Ashton Turner
6 Alex Carey
7 Will Sutherland
8 Cameron Green
9 Matthew Kelly
10 Lloyd Pope*
11 Billy Stanlake

*Not captain, no idea which spinner.
*5th place, here we come!

Cruxdude

Too early but here is what my early wish is:

1. Prithvi Shaw
2. Rohit Sharma*
3. Virat Kohli
4. Shubman Gill
5. Rishabh Pant+
6. Hardik Pandya
7. Ravi Jadeja
8. Kamlesh Nagarkoti
9. Shivam Mavi
10. Kuldeep Yadav
11. Jasprit Bumrah
Will be really surprised if Kamlesh or Mavi make good on the hype. I think Shreyas Iyer will be in the team for sure. Also have a feeling Jadeja won't be in there.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Darcy Short
Ben McDermott
Will Pukovski
Steve Smith
Ashton Turner
Jake Lehmann
Alex Carey +*
Sean Abbott
Pat Cummins
Adam Zampa
Billy Stanlake

stephen

Australia have officially given up on one day cricket at a domestic level so what makes anyone think we'll have anybody new in four years time.

The ODI side played a dozen ODIs in a couple of months leading up to the world cup. The state sides took two years to play that many games. So rightly or wrongly the selectors are basically forced to pick players based on hunches and guesses and then give them a year in the side to see if they're any good.

Stoinis is a classic example of this approach. He's been in the team for just long enough to find out he's not up to international standard but it's too late to drop him before the world cup and bring in Marsh.

Combine this with the pitiful odi schedule for Australia for the next year, the hiding behind a pay wall of all Australian ODIs and I can't see anything but the utter destruction of Australia as an odi force once Smith/ Warner/Starc/Finch are past it.

Last edited:

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Richardson.

Would be surprised if Starc goes before 2023. Hazlewood might also be a thing?
Starc will be 34ish by the time of the next WC. It'd be nice if he's still there but that action and bowling at that pace has to take its toll sooner or later.

morgieb

Starc will be 34ish by the time of the next WC. It'd be nice if he's still there but that action and bowling at that pace has to take its toll sooner or later.
IIRC he'll be 33. Suppose he could retire but I think he's got another WC in him....just.

morgieb

There definitely feels like there's a lost generation of Australian cricketers post-Cummins. Not too many names born after 1993 that I feel confident in becoming big players.

CricAddict

Will be really surprised if Kamlesh or Mavi make good on the hype. I think Shreyas Iyer will be in the team for sure. Also have a feeling Jadeja won't be in there.
Yes, that is a good team and should definitely be atleast 90% of the 2023 squad, barring surprises. Just Iyer instead of one of the batsmen there. Also, Rituraj Gaikwad coming up quickly now.

Daemon

Yeah. Shami and Bhuvi both only 29 too so they'll probably be around.

Flem274*

123/5
things change quickly. find me the post where someone predicted steve smith would be an atg batsman before his test debut. when mitchell starc bowled short wide filth to chris martin in 2011 i never picked him to star in two world cups. find me a post where someone predicted lockie ferguson to star in a world cup before his odi debut.

australia will always be there or thereabouts in a world cup.