• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Betting

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If anything, it's his role in the 1998 triumph that's bit overstated. I think Zizou was better in 2006 and Euro 2000 than he was in 1998.
Is the correct answer.

Zidane's 2006 World Cup is 2nd only to Baggio's 1994 tournament in terms of great individual tournaments in my living memory.

Salamuddin

Current odds on skybet:

Brazil 3/1
Argentina 9/2
Spain 11/2
Germany 11/2
Belgium 18/1
France 22/1
England 25/1
Portugal 25/1
Holland 25/1
Colombia 25/1
Italy 25/1
Uruguay 33/1
Chile 40/1
Russia 100/1
Ivory Coast 125/1

You can get better odds almost everywhere else but that gives you the idea. Spain at 13/2 looks the best bet to me. A lot of people seem to think tiki-taka has been solved but I'm not convinced many international teams can deal with it, especially not in that heat and with an actual striker this time.

Argentina are an OK bet too considering it's their home continent, they have a lot of brilliant players and the coach seems to have it together for once.
Italy definitely worth a punt at 25/1. Don't know why they are being underrated so much (even with Montolivo's injury) - they have a squad with good all round strength and a capable manager.

Uppercut

Bit of revisionism going on about Zidane in 06. He was turd in the group stages, immense in the knockouts and then arguably cost them the final
Nah he didn't cost them the final.

I don't think it's revisionism, people just think dominating Spain, Brazil and Portugal overshadows poor games against South Korea and Switzerland. The memories people have about one player carrying a team are pretty much always total bull but I don't think this is one of the worst.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I don't think it's revisionism, people just think dominating Spain, Brazil and Portugal overshadows poor games against South Korea and Switzerland. The memories people have about one player carrying a team are pretty much always total bull but I don't think this is one of the worst.
Which is all well and good but to be one of the ATG tournament performances you need more than 3 good games

I said he arguably cost them the final because we will never know. But it's not like a mistimed tackle, or a Suarez V Ghana. He got sent off for a mindless headbutt and that alone is a huge black mark over his tournament.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I think this is often a terminological thing and down to careless use of language. Obviously in 2006 it was not really a case of being "all Zidane", and anything good France doing being attributable to him. But I honestly believe that but for Zidane they wouldn't have reached the final, and I don't think that's too much of a stretch to claim. This is perhaps a superficial analysis, as you could apply the same logic to most things that happen anyway (i.e. X would not have happened if Y did not do Z), but Zidane's contribution was truly significant imo, which is probably where talk of him carrying the team comes from.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not to mention the rats tails he sported throughout.

Meanwhile I got Switzerland in the works' sweep. Well, I actually got "Switerland" but couldn't make my claim that it was a terrible misspelling of "Brazil" stick.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, perhaps Furball. I know Baggio was a major influence in the tournament. I guess its harsh not to rate his tournament on the basis of one kick. Its just unfortunately the main thing I remember about his tournament performance.

BTW, is anyone planning on running a tipping comp for the tournament?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If he hadn't been so key to them throughout the tournament he probably wouldn't have played the final. Clearly wasn't fit

Similar to Ronaldo in 98 actually

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'm rooting for Netherlands but I'm making a few small team bets to enhance watching. Reckon i'll put small bets on Italy at 25, France at 22, Uruguay at 28 and Netherlands at 33. Probably bad value but will be a lot of fun.

Will chuck a cheeky bet on Robben for golden ball at 40/1 as well. Suggest the same for anyone who wants to become richer. :ph34r:

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm rooting for Netherlands but I'm making a few small team bets to enhance watching. Reckon i'll put small bets on Italy at 25, France at 22, Uruguay at 28 and Netherlands at 33. Probably bad value but will be a lot of fun.

Will chuck a cheeky bet on Robben for golden ball at 40/1 as well. Suggest the same for anyone who wants to become richer. :ph34r:
What site are you getting just 40s for Robben? He is $67 (behind 21 others) on I site I use.

Teja.

Global Moderator
What site are you getting just 40s for Robben? He is $67 (behind 21 others) on I site I use.
bet365, got 41. Are you sure you're talking about odds for golden ball and not golden boot? Robben is 67 for the boot.