• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Nostalgia Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Frank Leboeuf should have been nowhere near that France side, let alone first choice. He was old and past it, and never that great in the first place.

Could never understand at the time why they did not play Thuram in the centre and have Sagnol as the fullback, just madness. Even young Mexes would have been a better option than Leboeuf.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Frank Leboeuf should have been nowhere near that France side, let alone first choice. He was old and past it, and never that great in the first place.

Could never understand at the time why they did not play Thuram in the centre and have Sagnol as the fullback, just madness. Even young Mexes would have been a better option than Leboeuf.
From memory he wasn't first choice though, was he? Desailly & Blanc were.

Leboeuf only got the gig for the final because poor old Larry White was a victim of the erstwhile Irons' boss's am dram in the semi.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
From memory he wasn't first choice though, was he? Desailly & Blanc were.

Leboeuf only got the gig for the final because poor old Larry White was a victim of the erstwhile Irons' boss's am dram in the semi.
Nah Blanc retired from Internationals after Euro 2000 iirc. In any event, Leboeuf shouldn't have even been second or third choice imo. Really odd selection.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah Blanc retired from Internationals after Euro 2000 iirc. In any event, Leboeuf shouldn't have even been second or third choice imo. Really odd selection.
Ignore me. I was thinking of 1998. Posting from work and can't access YouTube.

Guessing the link refers to Senegal dicking Johnny Frog in 2002? Most heart warming result since Cameroon downed yer Argies in 1990.

Johnners

I remember Brazil getting knocked out in 82 and couldn’t believe it. Fmd they were an amazing side.

Was watching highlights of Aus v Japan from 06 yesterday. Simon Hill’s call was a highlight all its own, especially Aloisi’s goal.
I'll never forget us qualifying in 2006. Hard to explain what it meant to non Australians (Kiwis the only possible exception). Even now qualification doesn't feel momentous like that one did.
Yeah that was one crazy night. Bresciano's goal to level up the tie then that shoot out. FMD when Aloisi scored that penalty I reckon it was the biggest single mass celebration ever in Australia.

Until Howard lost his seat the next year anyway.
Also been watching the above moments tonight, just an incredible feeling.

Hairs still stand up on the back of my neck watching Schwarzers second save, Aloisi's penalty, and Timmeh's 2 goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhM1t0XyB08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Hvt-jZOJs

Uppercut

:laugh: that's even funnier than I remembered. After she misses it looks like she's running away in shame.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
94 was the first I watched, England didn’t qualify which crushed me and the time zone wasn’t great for a ten year old

However I bloody loved it. And my hero was there, scored a key goal and made worldwide headlines.

But 98 is probably my favourite.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember absolutely nothing of WC94 itself. I can remember a bit of the qualifiers though, specifically England effing it up.

The most prominent memory I have linked to the whole thing was Sledger Snr having a very animated conversation with one of my primary school teachers about how Graham Taylor was the worst England manager of all time.

In fact it wasn't so much a conversation, but Sledger Snr ranting and raving and the teacher standing there and going "mmmmm yes, I see....". Ah memories. The days of when FIFA games used unlicensed names.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I remember absolutely nothing of WC94 itself. I can remember a bit of the qualifiers though, specifically England effing it up.

The most prominent memory I have linked to the whole thing was Sledger Snr having a very animated conversation with one of my primary school teachers about how Graham Taylor was the worst England manager of all time.

In fact it wasn't so much a conversation, but Sledger Snr ranting and raving and the teacher standing there and going "mmmmm yes, I see....". Ah memories. The days of when FIFA games used unlicensed names.
The qualifier away to the Netherlands was pretty funny.

Pretty sure Scotland got gubbed 5-0 by Portugal on my 8th birthday trying to qualify for that tournament and McCoist broke his leg. Good times.

wpdavid

94 was the first I watched, England didn’t qualify which crushed me and the time zone wasn’t great for a ten year old

However I bloody loved it. And my hero was there, scored a key goal and made worldwide headlines.

But 98 is probably my favourite.
Yeah, your first WC will always have a huge emotional pull. Which can be a bad thing if it includes a disaster like England losing 3-2 to WG after leading 2-0 in 1970. That's one reason why I can't honestly say that the 1970 WC is my favourite, despite the wonderful football played by that Brazilian side.

nick-o

Football isn't really my passion, and obviously England isn't really my team, but by chance I had the opportunity to go to three of England's games here in Japan in 2002 -- Sweden, Nigeria and Brazil. They aren't really "football" memories, but the atmosphere, the joy, the fun of the whole thing is up there as one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in my entire life. Walking through the streets of Osaka on the way to the Nigeria game with all the local kids sporting the "beckham" hairdo trying to pat us on the back, compared to the paranoid cops in Saitama with their fenced in walkways trying to keep the "fooligans" (the "h" sound doesn't work in Japanese so it becomes an "f") at bay; Sir Roger Moore as some ambassador for something happy to talk to everyone who walked past, and the BBC trying to make us sing "always look on the bright side of life" after the Brazil game. I remember walking around Shinjuku here in Tokyo the evening Japan won it's first-ever WC match -- like being in a country I'd never experienced before. That entire month was just exhuberant -- the world decided to throw a party on my front doorstep, and everyone was invited, and it was just such unbelievably good fun. The World Cup is the best.