• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

Gotchya

Bazzaroodoo said:
I dunno Wasim and Waqar are not nearly the bowlers they once were. For me there are so many problems with the Pakistan side currently that I just can't see them doing anything.

Yes, On form there is no hope.

Gotchya

aussie_beater said:
Hmmmm..... tough call there given the fact that Waqar did not play in the 1992 WC.If he had done, the scales would have tilted so much in favour of the 1992 team that it would have broken down :D

The 1992 bowling attack had Wasim at his peak which was enough to scare the hell out of any batting lineup and there is nobody in the current lineup to match up with that, plus there was Imran who was still quite a force and IMO better then Akram of today. Aqib Javed was pretty consistent at that time and quite lethal at times but I would say Akhtar has the edge here because of his "scare-factor" although IMO, Aqib was more consistent in 1992. Yes they did not have a Razzaq's equivalent in 1992 which kind of balances out whatever advantage the 1992 team had with an in-form Akram. And Mushtaq and Saqi balance out.

So in the end I would say its about the same.
Well, Wasim hasn't faded a lot from say 99, he hasn't performed too badly so to say. Waqar has gone down with his pace and his economy has risen considerably but still he is a wicket taking ball.
Akhtar and Razzaq are the additions to this attack, I think that both are comfortably better then Aqib and Amir. Plus you have a Shahid Afridi available, Saqlain well maybe he does balance out Mushtaq but I doubt if Mushy can match saqi's strike rate or his economy. Imran well he wasn't exactly as much a strike bowler left in him then. It is a tough call though I vote for this attack because for its added flare and strike rate.

yohanna

Banned
As far as the comparison between the Pakistan's bowling attack of '92 Squad with the present one is concerned, the present bowling line up is much better than the '92 one!!

In '92 Pak had 3 attacking bowlers in Akram,Aqib and Mushi, whereas currently Pak have 4 attacking bowler in Akram,Waqar,Akhter and Saqlain. While Akram might not be the bowler he was in '92 but still he's very effective, also Saqlain is a much better onedayer bowler than Mushtaq ever was.
To say that Akhter has just an edge over Aqib is not true, Akhter is a champion oneday bowler who on his day can rip apart any batting lineup including that of the great Aussies.Also if we look at the reserve bowlers, in '92 Pak had Waseem Haider and Iqbal Sikander (somone who were never heard of before and after the WC) while today Pak have Sami,Azhar Mahmood and Afridi!!!

Even if we look at the batting of '92 and '03, there is not much of a difference.In '92 Pakistan had 2 reliable batsmen in Javed and Imran, while Inzi was a young gun, today Inzamam and Youhanna are the back bone while Younis Khan is a capable batter.But i guess the problem with the present team lies with the openers. Rameez and A Sohail were good openers then, whereas today we have Anwar who is well past his best, Elahi who has a flawed technique and can't do much on bouncy pitches, and Afridi is someone who can't be taken seriously!

yohanna

Banned
According to Imran khan the fav's are Aus and SA, while he seems to be impressed with NZ and England cricket teams to.So i guess that is his prediction for the 4 possible semi finalists!

Among the Asians i think India can do better than others (considering Pak team is in a total mess and SL are not in good shape either) but Indian batsmen got to fire in every match as their bowling is weak, i believe India should be scoring total in excess of 250+ in every match if they are to do well!

PY

Winner: Australia
Final: Australia vs New Zealand
Leading Run Scorer: Matthew Hayden
Leading Wicket Taker: As much as it hurts me Brett "No-Ball" Lee
Highest individual Score: Sanath Jayasuriya
Player of the Tournament: Matthew Hayden
Biggest Surprise(Player): Brad Hogg
Biggest Flop(Player): Muttiah Murilitheran
Biggest Surprise(Team): England (got to give them something)
Biggest Flop(Team): Pakistan

Mr Mxyzptlk

No he's not. He's just referring to Lee's tendency to bowl no-balls. Sort of like Harmison's wide problem but not nearly as bad.

Eclipse

Thats total **** Lee is not a chucker.

His action is the same as almost all fast bowlers but just because he can bowl upwards of 150kph he is scrutinised.

If you look at his action his arm does bend but it never strightens so it is perfectly legal. And that is the offical ruling so get of his back. If he bowled at Irani's pace no one would give a crap.l

Eclipse

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No he's not. He's just referring to Lee's tendency to bowl no-balls. Sort of like Harmison's wide problem but not nearly as bad.
How could he be its not like Lee ever bowls that many No balls about 4 a match is the most.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm not saying I agree with it because I haven't seen Lee for a while but I'm just saying what I've been reading in the forum.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's referring to the chant that the Barmy Army used at the SCG (?) to get up Lee's nose (and rile the Aussie fans)

Which it's good at ;)

Little Master

World Cup

Winner: India
Final: Australia vs India
Leading Run Scorer: Sehwag
Leading Wicket Taker: Mcgrath
Highest individual Score: Sehwag
Player of the Tournament: Sehwag
Biggest Surprise(Player): Kaif
Biggest Flop(Player): Gilchrist
Biggest Surprise(Team): India

warrioryohannan

Re: World Cup

Little Master said:
Winner: India
Final: Australia vs India
Leading Run Scorer: Sehwag
Leading Wicket Taker: Mcgrath
Highest individual Score: Sehwag
Player of the Tournament: Sehwag
Biggest Surprise(Player): Kaif
Biggest Flop(Player): Gilchrist
Biggest Surprise(Team): India

Well I'm not so confident about Indias chances right now, but if they do top the Pool A , then i would change my opinion.But then there is a big IF with it.

As for Gilli being the biggest flop player of the tour, man what makes you think that such a brilliant player would be a flop in WC?

PY

warrioryohannan said:
Why No Ball ?? Are yu suggesting that he is a chucker ??
As other people have mentioned, it was because of his tendency to bowl no-balls. And also as neil says, it was a chant by the barmy army that got some Aussie pundits wound up as well as the crowd. which I find quite funny :lol:
Originally posted by Eclipse
Thats total **** Lee is not a chucker.

His action is the same as almost all fast bowlers but just because he can bowl upwards of 150kph he is scrutinised.

If you look at his action his arm does bend but it never strightens so it is perfectly legal. And that is the offical ruling so get of his back. If he bowled at Irani's pace no one would give a crap.
I didnt even know that Lee had been suggested as a chucker, I hadnt noticed anything wrong with his action so before you get excited I'd prefer that you check what I mean before going off on one!!:rolleyes: and i'll be more clear

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: World Cup

warrioryohannan said:
As for Gilli being the biggest flop player of the tour, man what makes you think that such a brilliant player would be a flop in WC?
It could happen. Even the best have off-series. Look at Ponting and Gilchrist in India...

Bazza

Exactly expectations of Gilchrist are so high (as you just proved) so anything other than a great tournament is a failure for him. It's all relative...

warrioryohannan

Re: Re: Re: World Cup

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It could happen. Even the best have off-series. Look at Ponting and Gilchrist in India...
That was hardly surprising considering the pitches they were playing then and the bowlers they had to face then, in SA it will be a totrally different scenario!

warrioryohannan

Bazza said:
Exactly expectations of Gilchrist are so high (as you just proved) so anything other than a great tournament is a failure for him. It's all relative...
But the guy said that he expect Gilli to be the "biggest flop player" of the tournament, here he was comparing Gilchrist from all the other participating players and not just by the high standard set by Gilchrist

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My understanding of flop is relative to their standing in the game.

Gilly is one of the top players, so if he were to average 20 or so, that'd be a big flop.

In contrast a Canadian averaging 20 would be a success!