• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your surprise Packets and biggest flops

Simon

WCC Staff
For me, portugal striker Pauleta will win the golden boot, hes been in good form for Paris Saint Germain in Ligue 1 over the past month. hes gonna surprise a lot of people and become a hosehold name in the next year or 2. You cant really call Arjen Robben a curprise packet as we all know how good hes gonna be, but he could well turn out to be player of the tournament, hes been out for the last month with injury, so it will be interesting to see if he can get over that.

Flops... Henrik Larsson, should have stayed in retirement. Hes gonna regret this comeback i feel. The Germans. They have a tough group and most of their best players arent at the top of their game. Could escape embaresment by beating Latvia.

What are a couple of tips of yours??.........

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Team's like Bulgeria, Greece could surprise a few team's as in Group A Spain and Portugal are expected to go through, but Greece finished above Greece in the qualifying round's which is creditable indeed, and have a good midfield.

Bulgeria have nothing to lose IMO. Nothing is expected of them, even their coach think's the same, so they can just run out and play with a 'nothing to lose' attitude.

I will be interested in Croatia go after allowing their player's to see their wive's and girlfriend's after the matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Team's like Bulgeria, Greece could surprise a few team's as in Group A Spain and Portugal are expected to go through, but Greece finished above Greece in the qualifying round's which is creditable indeed, and have a good midfield.
Certianly more creditable than finishing below themselves...

Craig said:
I will be interested in Croatia go after allowing their player's to see their wive's and girlfriend's after the matches.

I expect all nations are doing something similar, but the Croats are the only ones to publicly say so.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chicane said:
nobody care's for grammar when youre typing a long message
When you clearly cannot use apostrophes ever it's unacceptable.

(And I can tell that your sly insertion of one into cares was calculated to rile me :p)

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
Flops... Henrik Larsson, should have stayed in retirement. Hes gonna regret this comeback i feel.
I disagree.

Him there it gives Sweden half a chance.

Flops:

Alessandro del Piero.

Maybe it is it now people will see he is yet to stuff all for Italy in major competition's. Especially Giovanni Trapattoni.

Simon

WCC Staff
Craig said:
I disagree.

Him there it gives Sweden half a chance.

Flops:

Alessandro del Piero.

Maybe it is it now people will see he is yet to stuff all for Italy in major competition's. Especially Giovanni Trapattoni.
i doubt del peiro will get much game time, to me Vieri and Inzaghi are first choice strikers, and what ive seen of del piero hes form doesnt warrant selection in a side that could win the competition.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reports I've seen show Italy playing a 4231 with del Piero on the left wing - not his natural position.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
i doubt del peiro will get much game time, to me Vieri and Inzaghi are first choice strikers, and what ive seen of del piero hes form doesnt warrant selection in a side that could win the competition.
Neither Inzaghi wasn't picked.

Simon

WCC Staff
marc71178 said:
Reports I've seen show Italy playing a 4231 with del Piero on the left wing - not his natural position.
hmm interesting that one..... do Italy see this as their only chance to beat France come the latter stages or something??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure, but it appears a fair few teams are looking at it as a formation - 1 sole striker supported by 3 attacking midfielders and then 2 holding men.

nibbs

Neil Pickup said:
When you clearly cannot use apostrophes ever it's unacceptable.

(And I can tell that your sly insertion of one into cares was calculated to rile me :p)
damit neil, damit...

i think that Denmark will surprise a few and in the process repeat their heroics of 1992.

Craig

World Traveller
Could do anything to be honest.

For as good as a 'keeper Tomas Sorensen is - and he has had a very good season with Villa, is certainly not in the class of Peter Schmichael. But then again who is?

Maybe this is now when Jesper Gronkjaer will show us his true ability.

Simon

WCC Staff
they have a really good chance of making it to the quarter finals, but they will be faced with the prospect of playing German, Holland or the Czech Republic in that stage, all of whom should beat denmark.

Craig

World Traveller
If Pavel Nedved and Thomas Roisky don't fire, I think the Czechs won't go that far.