• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your team for The Ashes 21/22

fredfertang

Unpopular opinion: I feel there's a greater chance of Renshaw going "full Hameed" than reclaiming his place in the Test team.
Now he's got away from Lancashire and can make a fresh start I'm hoping a "full Hameed" will involve him getting back in the England side - still have fond memories of the bloke I saw scoring a sublime century at Lord's three years back

Second Spitter

Renshaw is still in his early 20s. Could easily come back, even if it takes 6 years.
The opening batsman depth chart has never been shallower in the last 35 years. At the moment, Renshaw is placed around 6th or 7th including the current incumbents. Will freaking Bosisto had a better FC season than Renshaw.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

The opening batsman depth chart has never been shallower in the last 35 years. At the moment, Renshaw is placed around 6th or 7th including the current incumbents. Will freaking Bosisto had a better FC season than Renshaw.
And yet he still got cut from the WA contract list and moved to Adelaide.

Actually think Bosisto has a decent chance of making the Shield team

Pup Clarke

Burns
Sibley
Northeast
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Gregory
Archer
Leach
Broad

Reserves

Browne
Vince
Bairstow
Malan
J Overton
Tongue
Virdi

FBU

1 Burns
2 Denly
3 Root
4 Stokes
5 Pope
6 Livingstone
7 Foakes
8 Archer
9 Garton
10 Wood/Stone
11 Parkinson

Howe_zat

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Frank Woolley
Patsy Hendren
Colin Mead
Percy Fender
Roy Kilner
Maurice Tate
Arthur Gilligan
George Wood
Alex Kennedy

They'll probably play some ameteur batsman as captain though

Coronis

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Frank Woolley
Patsy Hendren
Colin Mead
Percy Fender
Roy Kilner
Maurice Tate
Arthur Gilligan
George Wood
Alex Kennedy

They'll probably play some ameteur batsman as captain though
I can’t see them doing worse

Uppercut

He’s a 7.5 with the bat and 3.5 with the ball. His selection depends highly on how the rest of the team is doing.
In Ireland we usually just pick 11 off-brand Sam Currans and it works for us.

Seriously though, I think he should probably just play for now and bat 7. When they pick him they win games.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

Looking at the thread title reminds of the profound sadness there is at the conclusion of each Ashes series, irrespective of the victor, in the knowledge that these two eternal combatants won't meet again for over two years.

My magical crystal ball tells me that England will win in Australia, but one can only guess at what state Test cricket will be then.

Tom Flint

Test cricket won't be any worse. This series has been brilliant, the crowds and atmosphere were amazing every single day, easily the best country to host test matches. The standard of batting wasn't great by majority of batsman but the fast bowling was brilliant from both teams. Each test went to the fourth day and 3 of the 5 matches were very close to having a different result

Second Spitter

This series was very reminiscent of the West Indies tour of Australia in 92/93, a series dominated by the ball, where there was one batsman head and shoulders above everybody else announcing his dominance to the world, but otherwise very frail batting line-ups on both teams resulting in some epic matches with very low scores and the narrowest of margins between success and failure.

The big difference was Australia, as the home team, was so desperate for a series win, it chopped and changed its line-up after every match. It didn’t help in the end, but it gave certain players who became very important in the subsequent decade a real baptism of fire.

Last edited:

stephen

I will begrudgingly also admit that I enjoy ashes tests in England's more than in Australia. I think it's the assistance for the quicks that makes for more gripping cricket. Australia is all about the batting while England is much more about the bowling.

I'd prefer it if Australia would win a series over there this century though.

Lillian Thomson

Someone on TMS suggested that the authorities will see the £££££ signs in front of their eyes and change The Ashes to a three year cycle in each country instead of 4.

Lancashire Nick

Someone on TMS suggested that the authorities will see the £££££ signs in front of their eyes and change The Ashes to a three year cycle in each country instead of 4.
It wouldn't surprise me, although it's always a shame when money trumps tradition.

As for the line-up in 21/22, I have no idea, it's too far away to predict form and fitness. I suspect Root, Stokes, Archer and maybe Broad will still be around, but after that it's hard to say. What is clear, is that England have to unearth, and foster, a squad of quicks that they can rotate, and need to develop a group of batsmen who can go in at # 1,2 and 3.