• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

stumpski

English cricket needs to get over medals.

They get one after every series, not just the Ashes. Seriously, where's the harm in it? Something for the players to treasure in their retirement after all.

Harmison seems very non-committal about going to South Africa, interesting.

JBH001

Woke up at 4.15am here to go to the toilet, and went down to watch the last hour and a bit of play. Good timing by my bladder, it must be said.

Just want to say hard luck to the Aussie fans and players, but very well played.

And also to England, fantastic win, and well played. Congratulations!

Its been a really enjoyable series for a semi-neutral like myself.

Right, back to bed!

Ikki

Congrats England but I am gutted. As Mark Waugh questioned with a baffled tone: "How did we lose this, seriously?". We lost it in essentially 3 sessions. When we were good, we were all good. When we were bad, we were atrocious collectively. As well as England may have bowled at certain times, those collapses were disgraceful from an Aussie point of view and the quality of bowling certainly did not justify wickets falling like rain. I borrow Mark Waugh again: when basically he said: "Broad bowled well, but I've seen much better bowling not get near that many wickets".

The leading wicket takers and run scorer but a lost series. What a tragedy from an Aussie perspective. To lose to THIS England side as I said weeks back would be explainable largely due to our own failings rather than the English side being superlative. And yes, I know that sounds arrogant, but that's my opinion of the two sides. Besides Strauss, I don't think anyone from their side was really consistently good.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

Congrats England but I am gutted. As Mark Waugh questioned with a baffled tone: "How did we lose this, seriously?". We lost it in essentially 3 sessions. When we were good, we were all good. When we were bad, we were atrocious collectively. As well as England may have bowled at certain times, those collapses were disgraceful from an Aussie point of view and the quality of bowling certainly did not justify wickets falling like rain. I borrow Mark Waugh again: when basically he said: "Broad bowled well, but I've seen much better bowling not get near that many wickets".

The leading wicket takers and run scorer but a lost series. What a tragedy from an Aussie perspective. To lose to THIS England side as I said weeks back would be explainable largely due to our own failings rather than the English side being superlative. And yes, I know that sounds arrogant, but that's my opinion of the two sides. Besides Strauss, I don't think anyone from their side was really consistently good.
AWTA. Strauss was fantastic with the bat but will probably be overshadowed in the media by the ladyboy.

Ikki

Swann had to bowl to far better batting-lineup. Without KP aggression, Hauritz had an easy time. Swann did his role as expected in the Ashes.

Swann>>Haurtiz againts good players of spin.
Swann was poor regardless. End of story. Without the wickets turning for him, he is harmless.

JBH001

Hahaha, Ikki. Sour grapes, mate? Not the time bud, not the time (if ever).

Last edited:

oitoitoi

They get one after every series, not just the Ashes. Seriously, where's the harm in it? Something for the players to treasure in their retirement after all.

Harmison seems very non-committal about going to South Africa, interesting.
He's probably realised better to jump than to be pushed, don't think his career could survive another away tour.

stumpski

I take your point, but remember our best batsman only played in two Tests. How would Australia have fared in three Tests without Ponting?

oitoitoi

I take your point, but remember our best batsman only played in two Tests. How would Australia have fared in three Tests without Ponting?
If they'd picked Brad Hodge as a replacement, I reckon they would have been alright, also bear in mind Pietersen's form slump. Still amazed Sidearse never got a look in.

subshakerz

Dont see Ponting losing the captaincy unless he gives it up. He's still their best bat, has 2-3 years left, and should be able to reclaim some victories against the West Indies and Pakistan in the next few months to get some confidence back.

aussie

100% right. ENG could still go to SA & get spanked. But AUS can only get better & improve on the inconsistencies in this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
oitoitoi, wind your neck in, your bitterness is pathetic, you're pathetic. **** me England, I am so so so happy. Gonna get plastered now, ****ing love my team, half-cut already, well in guys, we deserved this, the best team just about in the series, love it

Ikki

Hahaha, Ikki. Sour grapes, mate? Not the time bud, not the time (if ever).
Sorry mate. As Merv/Border et al said. You can lose to anybody, but not England. And especially THIS England. Geez, they've had 2-3 passengers in this series and they still won.

I know on this site it is popular to trumpet for both sides to give a visage of fairhandedness, but I just don't have it in me to do it for the English. :laugh:

Thats Swann role for ENG. Plus add his batting, he is useful player. He isn't expected to be the next Jim Laker.
Yeh, but with regards to him as a spinner, not a batsman, he was outbowled by Hauritz, even. IIRC Hauritz actually took more upper-order batsmen too. The Oval was turning from day one and he still didn't do all that awesomely. It was a bloody dustbowl out there. Even North did well.

That's what makes it even more dumbfounding IMO.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

oitoitoi, wind your neck in, your bitterness is pathetic, you're pathetic. **** me England, I am so so so happy. Gonna get plastered now, ****ing love my team, half-cut already, well in guys, we deserved this, the best team just about in the series, love it
Wtf are you talking about you cock???

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wtf are you talking about you cock???
I wonder if he'll step down, I mean they've lost 3 of their last 4 big series; hammered in India where his captaincy was dreadful, lost at home for the first time in yonks, now losing to a very mediocre England side.
English cricket needs to get over open top bus parades and MBE's all round IMO.
AWTA. Strauss was fantastic with the bat but will probably be overshadowed in the media by the ladyboy.

If I cbf I'd go back further, go find some more

stumpski

Weather is going to be good for the cricket tomorrow according to the BBC forecaster. :laugh:

Good to see this being made the lead story on the 7 o'clock news.