• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

aussie

Errmm. How does that work? So Australia couldn't go downhill from here?
Their fast bowling stocks is very healthy & the batting is still strongest in the world. All AUS have to do is get some consistency back in their cricket & settle on a Best XI especailly in the bowling attack. Those collapses @ Lord's & this test shouldn't be happening with AUS, you expect those things from WI, PAK & NZ.

kingkallis

Well done England for winning the Ashes back...

Well done Straussy, well done Trotty! You South Africans are so gun :D

Bad luck Aussies, now go back and thrash some mediocre bowling attacks of Pakistan and West Indies to gain some confidence.

I am sure No.4 on ICC table means nothing as thats not fitting at all for the mighty Aussies!

Pothas

Well we were very very lucky but an ashes win is always going to be special. It was not a great series but It is great just for Fred if nothing else.

oitoitoi

Their fast bowling stocks is very healthy & the batting is still strongest in the world. All AUS have to do is get some consistency back in their cricket & settle on a Best XI especailly in the bowling attack. Those collapses @ Lord's & this test shouldn't be happening with AUS, you expect those things from WI, PAK & NZ.
Would disagree with that, their batting is perhaps a bit behind India's and definitely behind SA's. They really really need to find themselves a spinner though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hard to say as Hauritz didn't get to see out the series, but in the matches they played together Hauritz was better.
Not at Lords, for mine. Swann has been disappointing generally, but on the two decks that've suited him he came to the party.

Not Hauritz's fault he wasn't selected for this test tho, admittedly.

I think Ponting himself mentioned this that England won the key moments, and that's the reason they won, but frankly speaking, a lot of people love to hate Ponting, and think he is a schmuck, but tbh as an Aussie fan, I'm proud that he is the captain of our side, was very gracious in defeat and I think he handled himself brilliantly in that interview.
Ish. Thought the line about "looking at the runs made and wondering how we lost" was unnecessary. It was lost with 3 shoddy first innings efforts.

aussie

Would disagree with that, their batting is perhaps a bit behind India's and definitely behind SA's. They really really need to find themselves a spinner though.
Its even in the first team between IND/AUS/SA depending on what conditions they are in. But AUS have better depth than them, this is why i am not worried.

Pothas

Ish. Thought the line about "looking at the runs made and wondering how we lost" was unnecessary. It was lost with 3 shoddy first innings efforts.
Yeah but he did have a point, I do not think Australia can claim that they deserved to win given those failures but in truth I think a drawn series would have been the right result. (Their fault that they can't get Monty out though)

stumpski

All Harmison said was that he'd 'probably' go if picked - after speaking to his family. Got the sound of a man who's getting ready to quit I'd say.

kingkallis

My team of the series, and awards:

Strauss*
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson / Siddle
Hilfenhaus

MOTM: Broad
English MOTS: Strauss
Aussie MOTS: Clarke
Overall MOTS: Strauss
In my team I would prefer Siddle ahead of Anderson though

pasag

RTDAS
Dont see Ponting losing the captaincy unless he gives it up. He's still their best bat, has 2-3 years left, and should be able to reclaim some victories against the West Indies and Pakistan in the next few months to get some confidence back.
Pak and WI aren't going to be easybeats, even at home.

Pothas

All Harmison said was that he'd 'probably' go if picked - after speaking to his family. Got the sound of a man who's getting ready to quit I'd say.
Hope he does to be honest. was nice for him to get a couple of wickets at the end but he is not good enough and it would make it far easier for everyone if he took away the constant dilema if we pick him or not.

Ikki

Ponting was fair and gave the interview as he always does: no bull****.

The reason people dislike him saying that is because it's true. If this series was a football match, it would be Australia with 70% possession, 20 shots on goal, 15 corners and 1 penalty miss; yet somehow losing.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, quality hard men over the interwebz times, fantastic.

Well done England. :) God wanted you to win, most definately.

Any Australians should watch the post-match talk on Fox Sports. Was extremely worthwhile viewing, lots of good ideas being chucked around.

Time for the Aussie Team to have a good long think about their individual games, and stop worrying about pitches/Swann/reverse-swing/etc.

EDIT: Find all the Broad comments so horrendous. Find another way to express how much you hate yourself, kthx.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

Ponting was fair and gave the interview as he always does: no bull****.

The reason people dislike him saying that is because it's true. If this series was a football match, it would be Australia with 70% possession, 20 shots on goal, 15 corners and 1 penalty miss; yet somehow losing.
That's not a bad analogy (numbers somewhat exaggerated mind), but I'd add England scoring on the break and Australia lacking a playmaker in midfield.